NEED HELP SOON: Win7 Files & Settings Transfer Wiz & OfficeOutlook PST Mailboxes

Old April 2nd 10, 04:01 PM posted to alt.windows7.general,microsoft.public.outlook
Gordon[_6_]

Default NEED HELP SOON: Win7 Files & Settings Transfer Wiz & Office Outlook PST Mailboxes

"Diane Poremsky [MVP]" wrote in message
Just yesterday I exported Outlook 97 data, the entire tree, and imported
it into Office 2007 and it worked perfectly.

This is the perfect scenario for Importing.

Absolutely - but there's no logical reason for doing it to and from the SAME
format of pst file..

Old April 2nd 10, 05:18 PM posted to alt.windows7.general,microsoft.public.outlook
Gordon[_6_]

"Diane Poremsky [MVP]" wrote in message
Corrupted profiles, yes... but remember, we only see the reports where it
caused problems, not the millions of times it actually worked as expected.
Done right, the profile will not corrupt.

I think Russ Valentine, MVP would strongly disagree with you!

Old April 2nd 10, 06:02 PM posted to alt.windows7.general,microsoft.public.outlook
Gordon[_6_]

"Leythos" wrote in message
om...

exporting disconnected Exchange cached Outlook data into a new exchange
system.... not a single error/corruption.

because THAT is what the export function is designed for NOT same-pst to
same-pst. The fact that you haven't had any corruption is luck. There are
MANY posts in forums and the newsgroups where people HAVE had corruption by
importing.

Old April 2nd 10, 07:41 PM posted to alt.windows7.general,microsoft.public.outlook
Diane Poremsky [MVP]

Show me one post where the pst was corrupted. We have seen profiles
corrupted (and I think some were bad to begin with), but I have yet to see a
pst corrupted by import.

There are legitimate reasons you should avoid import; there are legit
reasons to use it. The biggest reason not to use it is the loss of views and
other hidden data, and the change in the last mod date. Some users don't
care - they wouldn't know a custom view if it bit them - they just want the
darn thing working as quickly as possible. For them, import is fine.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

Old April 2nd 10, 07:42 PM posted to alt.windows7.general,microsoft.public.outlook
Diane Poremsky [MVP]

There are MANY posts in forums and the newsgroups where people HAVE had
corruption by importing.

Links please...

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

Old April 2nd 10, 07:51 PM posted to alt.windows7.general,microsoft.public.outlook
Diane Poremsky [MVP]

It's "former MVP". I don't know that he's ever said it will corrupt the pst.
He does state it can corrupt the profile.

There are legit reasons to export to a pst (example: copying a calendar or
contacts only to another machine), there are legit reasons to import from a
pst. There are legit reasons its bad to use Import and Export.

There are times when it makes sense to copy the pst. There are times when it
doesn't make sense. It's all about knowing which is which.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

Old April 2nd 10, 09:20 PM posted to alt.windows7.general,microsoft.public.outlook
Russ Valentine

No. I wouldn't disagree. Exporting and importing work fine when users only
want to transfer a _portion_ of the PST file and are simpler than copying
and opening the entire PST just to transfer a small portion of the file.
The problem comes when users try to use Export and Import to transfer their
_entire_ PST File. That causes a corrupt profile because the profile cannot
connect the address book service to the imported PST file (it thinks that
property has already been set, but it hasn't). Also, things like rules,
information stored in hidden messages, and distribution lists do not survive
the import process.
The majority of the problems that arise with export and import are end user
error.
--
Russ Valentine

Old April 2nd 10, 09:30 PM posted to alt.windows7.general,microsoft.public.outlook
Russ Valentine

As if 10 years wasn't long enough, and I suddenly became stupid overnight?
--
Russ Valentine
"Diane Poremsky [MVP]" wrote in message
It's "former MVP". --