NEED HELP SOON: Win7 Files & Settings Transfer Wiz & OfficeOutlook PST Mailboxes

Old April 1st 10, 05:13 PM posted to alt.windows7.general,microsoft.public.outlook
Diane Poremsky [MVP]

Default NEED HELP SOON: Win7 Files & Settings Transfer Wiz & Office Outlook PST Mailboxes

No, it won't corrupt the files. It can corrupt the profile. In the specific
case in this thread, importing is acceptable as much of the hidden crap that
is not exported can't be used in Outlook 2007 and won't be moved either.
Importing can be faster than moving everything manually. (Hidden things,
like Views and Published forms are stored in folders - if you don't move the
folder, you lose these things.)

PST Conversion methods are he
http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ansi-to-unicode.asp
Last modified date, links, and anything using the items GUID is messed up by
import/report, but these are also affected by copying - only Moving will
preserve the data and I'll bet most people who use the open and move method
actually copy, not move, the data.

Importing should not be used when you are moving to a new computer and
keeping the same version of Outlook. Its not recommended when you are
upgrading 1 version, but when upgrading multiple versions or from ANSI to
Unicode, its acceptable. Why? Because each new version of Outlook adds more
properties and hidden content. Outlook can add the properties to the
existing pst, but it's better to make a new one. Importing is the easiest
and less confusing "KISS" method for many users to upgrade to a pst.

Yeah, for a long time Microsoft recommended importing when opening the pst
would be better, but in the last few years we've gotten just as bad by
insisting that all import/exports are evil and should *never* be used.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

"Peter Foldes" wrote in message
Alias

You were correct with your answer to the OP in the alt.group. Importing
and Exporting will corrupt the files

--
Peter

"Alias" wrote in message
Joel wrote:
Alias wrote:

It's been a long time since I used Office 2000, but there should be an
export function in Outlook 2000 that creates one gigantic PST file
that can then be imported into his new copy of Outlook. I'd at least
try it that way first.
And you would have advised the OP to do a very stupid thing. PST files
must be *opened*, not imported. Outlook 2000 has the old type of .pst
file which has a limit of 2 gigs. The new .pst files have no limit and
are set by default to 20 gigs. The .pst file doesn't need to be
exported. It needs to be copied to external media and then pasted into
the new computer where, after installing Outlook 07, one should go to
File/Open/Personal data file and navigate to where the .pst was pasted
and open it. Then one can move all the emails to the new .pst file and
then close the old one.

Importing does not keep using the exported PST file copied from the
old computer - it just imports the data into the new installation. It
will be saved by Outlook 2007 natively. Your method is really more
complex. As long as the export is done with all folders selected for
exporting, it's a cleaner method for transferring - it does take time
to build the exported PST on the old computer, but one can just let it
work in the background until it's done.

I wonder what the good folks in microsoft.public.outlook think of this
exporting/importing method.

--
Alias

Old April 1st 10, 05:13 PM posted to alt.windows7.general,microsoft.public.outlook
Joel[_3_]

Alias wrote:

I guess that's why I've done it that way multiple times, for a family
member who actually uses Outlook for God knows what reason, and has
changed computers multiple times, and it didn't "corrupt" anything.
And I guess you enjoy using a product that you claim "corrupts" files
for absolutely no good reason. Two for two on Microsoft Office
lameness.

Did you know that insulting people is not an acceptable way of
conducting yourself in a debate? In fact, you lose as soon as you start
your insults.

Who the f--- are you kidding? You're the one who brought their group
into your manufactured "debate", troll. That one MSO fanboy happened
to support your insane statement doesn't add much to the debate,
unless you would take his word for it just to suit your agenda (which
it appears you would).

--
Joel Crump
Old April 1st 10, 05:16 PM posted to alt.windows7.general,microsoft.public.outlook
Joel[_3_]

Alias wrote:

You wanted proof and Peter gave it to you.

Am I supposed to know *what* proof he claims he has just because, like
you, he spouted some ridiculous tripe? I have successfully used my
suggested method, multiple times. Maybe Peter made some mistake. And
why did another poster contradict him, other than myself? Doesn't
that "prove" anything, or is it only "proof" if someone makes an
assertion that supports *you*, dips---?

If you can wait, I am sure
that more Outlook experts

Is that anything like "military intelligence"?

will correct you as well.

And I will laugh at their Wintendo luserdom.

You hurling insults
towards me and Ubuntu does nothing for your credibility except to reveal
how desperate you are to be right.

I am right - you are a joke of a Linux user, and Outlook along with
all of MSO is a complete piece of trash, and my suggested method does
work. I stand by it all.

--
Joel Crump
Old April 1st 10, 05:18 PM posted to alt.windows7.general,microsoft.public.outlook
Diane Poremsky [MVP]

Exporting is for moving data between Outlook and other non-Outlook
programs, not for moving data between Outlook instances.

Not necessarily. If you only need to move *some* data to another outlook,
say calendar and contacts, then exporting to a pst is fine. Moving a
multi-GB pst for 200 contacts is nuts and exporting recurring calendar items
to another format removes the recurrences.

Also, if the person uses Copy to move the data into the new pst, everything
that import breaks is broken by Copy. Only Move will reserve the properties.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

"Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]" wrote in message
"Joel" wrote in message

I guess that's why I've done it that way multiple times, for a family
member who actually uses Outlook for God knows what reason, and has
changed computers multiple times, and it didn't "corrupt" anything.
And I guess you enjoy using a product that you claim "corrupts" files
for absolutely no good reason. Two for two on Microsoft Office
lameness.

I think "corrupt" is too strong. It's undeniable, however, that importing
and exporting _change_ the data. It's undeniable also that importing and
exporting leaves out some of the data, like links between contacts and
calendar events, Distribution Lists, and other metadata. Importing and

Old April 1st 10, 05:20 PM posted to alt.windows7.general,microsoft.public.outlook
Diane Poremsky [MVP]

Yeah... when the Exchange admin uses Exmerge, they are importing/exporting.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

"Tom Willett" wrote in message
Perhaps sometimes with some people, but not all the time, nor most of the
time. Our company did it numerous times with numerous flavors of Outlook
many many times over the years. Not one iota of corruption. But, we have
discontinued using Outlook anyway.

:
: You were correct with your answer to the OP in the alt.group. Importing
and
: Exporting will corrupt the files
:
: --
: Peter
:

Old April 1st 10, 05:41 PM posted to alt.windows7.general,microsoft.public.outlook
Gordon[_6_]

"Joel" wrote in message

I guess that's why I've done it that way multiple times, for a family
member who actually uses Outlook for God knows what reason, and has
changed computers multiple times, and it didn't "corrupt" anything.

Then you have been extraordinarily lucky.

Old April 1st 10, 05:50 PM posted to alt.windows7.general,microsoft.public.outlook
Alias[_19_]

Joel wrote:
Alias wrote:

[...]

Ask your friend what dates ALL of his emails are set to now. Then ask he
or she if he or she is happy with that.

--
Alias
Old April 1st 10, 06:20 PM posted to alt.windows7.general,microsoft.public.outlook
Diane Poremsky [MVP]

Ask your friend what dates ALL of his emails are set to now. Then ask he
or she if he or she is happy with that.

Only the last modified date is changed when you import/export pst to pst.
Sent and received dates are not touched.

If you are moving from OE/Mail/Live mail and use Outlook's Import command,
then the received (and last mod) date is changed - use export from OE
instead.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email: