problems with outlook express

Old August 17th 08, 06:05 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
[email protected]

Default problems with outlook express

I have problems sending emails from outlook express, I always get the
following message:

The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'pop.gmail.com',
Server: 'smtp.gmail.com', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 185, Secure(SSL):
Yes, Socket Error: 10060, Error Number: 0x800CC0E

Can someone please help me i have tried everything i can.

Old August 17th 08, 06:16 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Bruce Hagen

Your account settings are not correct. Your SMTP port should /not/ be 185.
Please review these links.

1: Enabling POP in your Gmail account:
http://mail.google.com/support/bin/a...y?answer=13273

2: Configuring your email client for Gmail: Outlook Express and Outlook
2002:
http://mail.google.com/support/bin/a...276&topic=1556

Set up your Outlook Express client to work with Gmail:
http://mail.google.com/support/bin/a...y?answer=76147
--

Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express

Old August 17th 08, 06:49 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
PA Bear [MS MVP]

That Port should be 465, not 185.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net

Old September 12th 08, 07:57 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Rich/rerat

acristina.vale,You need to change the Port settings for the Outgoing Mail
server.

It should be 465 not 185, look at the following link.
http://www.marthas-web.com/gmail.htm
Rich/rerat (RRR News) message rule
Previous Text Snipped to Save Bandwidth When Appropriate

Old October 3rd 08, 07:35 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Luke

Hi Acrista,
I had the smae problems and tried everyhting!
Finally cracked it this evening :O))))

Log onto windows update and check for service pack 3 for MS Outlook.
Install it and hey presto! Well for me at least.
Good luck

Old October 3rd 08, 09:01 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
PA Bear [MS MVP]

Funny thing is...

ACRIST IS NOT RUNNING MS OUTLOOK!!
--
~PAÞ

Old October 5th 08, 02:14 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
JP .

I am new to this forum but in view of the replies to this topic I think the
assembled expertise may be able to help, If I have offended the rules then I
apoligize in advance.

Under normal circumstances Outlook Express opens as soon as I click the OE
icon and dowloads incoming messages but recently the "Opening procedure" has
slowed down and now it does not open nor does it deliver the incoming emails.

After several minutes of trying to open a box is displayed asking me for my
user name and password which is strange because the box already contains the
information. If I click OK it repeats the request,If I click cancel the
following error code is displayed.

There was a problem logging onto your mail server. Your Password was
rejected. Account: 'POP.WANADOO.CO.UK', Server: 'POP.WANADOO.CO.UK',
Protocol: POP3, Server Response: ' Disconnect because authentication to back
server is too long', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90,
Error Number: 0x800CCC92

I have used OE for around 10 years and am currently using OE 6, my user name
has never changed and my password is the same as it has always been.

To say that the above is always the case would be untrue as there are times
that I can download emails if I persist in clicking OK. For 22 hours of the
day OE 6 will not open to deliver incoming emails but between 8 & 9 am[UK
time] and 11.30 through midnight to just before 12.30 am it will open and
deliver. Sometimes it can take 20 or 30 hours to receive an
email..........snail mail is fast by comparison!

All Microsoft security updates are current,defrag is current and firewalls
active,the passwords and protocols in OE6 are all valid and corect. Yet I am
still told that My password is rejected and the athenication to the back
server is too long but I have not changed anything. The problem started
around two weeks ago and has not improved. I think it may be a file conflict
resultant from one of the MS security updates but which,I have no idea.

So,does anyone else have this problem?Can anyone suggest a remedy? should I
buy more postage stamps?

JP.