Outlook Express 6 Problems

Old June 3rd 08, 10:35 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Brian M

Default Outlook Express 6 Problems

Hi,
I started getting this message every time I send an e-mail; "The message
could not be opened from out Outbox folder. Account: 'Brian', Server:
'shawmail.ed.shawcable.net', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No,
Error Number: 0x800420C8"

People receiving my e-mails get 2 copies of each e-mail & my reply e-mails
usually start with some random parts of the message I was responding to??

Anyone have any idea what this might be about and how I could fix it?

PS - I don't know if it's related, but I started getting these problems soon
after I switched my internet security program to Trend Micro Internet
Security.

thanks,
Brian M

Old June 3rd 08, 10:48 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
PA Bear [MS MVP]

Before proceeding below, disable Trend Micro's scanning of incoming &
outgoing mail; also disable the anti-spam component. Neither will play nice
with OE.

1a. Move any messages that you want to keep out of Sent Items and Deleted
Items folders and into other local OE folders you've created for archiving
(saving) such messages.

1b. Move 99% of your messages in your Inbox folder to other local OE
folders, too.

2. Write down the location of your identity's store
(http://www.insideoe.com/files/store.htm#storemain).

3. Close OE.

4. In Windows Explorer, navigate to your store folder, find & delete the
files Outbox.dbx, Sent Items.dbx, and Deleted Items.dbx.

To avoid such problems in the futu

- Don't use Inbox or Sent Items to archive messages. Move them to local
folders created for this purpose.

- Empty Deleted Items folder daily.

- Frequently perform a manual compact of all OE folders while "working
offline". More at http://www.insideoe.com/files/maintain.htm

- Do not shut down your machine while Windows is automatically compacting
your message store.

- Disable email scanning by your anti-virus application. It can cause
corruption (i.e., loss of messages), it provides no additional protection,
and even Symantec says it's not necessary:

QP
Disabling Email Scanning does not leave you unprotected against viruses that
are distributed as email attachments. Norton AntiVirus Auto-Protect scans
incoming files as they are saved to your hard drive, including email and
email attachments. Email Scanning is just another layer on top of this. To
make sure that Auto-Protect is providing the maximum protection, keep
Auto-Protect enabled and run LiveUpdate regularly to ensure that you have
the most recent virus definitions.
/QP
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net