Can't Open Outlook

Old April 25th 08, 09:25 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Ralph

Default Can't Open Outlook

I have tried so many "fixes", nothing seems to work. I'm using Outlook 2003
on a Vista laptop.

Here's the error message"Unable to open your default email folders. The
information store store could not be opened"

I've tried, new profiles, uinstalling, safe mode etc.

Any sugestions
Old April 25th 08, 09:41 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

What we need to know is what information store you are using and how you
configured Outlook to connect to it. We also need to know the steps that
created this behavior.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

Old April 25th 08, 10:06 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Ralph

I'm really a novice at this. I don't know what is meant by "information store"
I only know what the eror message said

I set up AOL using an IMAP type to connect, if this is what you meant. Could
you be more specific.

Thanks for youre reply

Ralph

Old April 25th 08, 10:20 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

"Information store" is the data file that Outlook uses. Since you posted in
an Outlook group, I naturally assumed you were using one of the native
transports and data files that Outlook supports. Turns out, you are using a
third party transport with its own proprietary data file. Accordingly, you
question should be directed to AOL, not Outlook.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

Old April 26th 08, 01:20 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Ralph

Russ,

I have access to both an AOL account and a Road Runer Account. The Road
Runer account is a POP3 account. When I deleted my AOL profile and put in my
Road Runner Profile I got the same error message that I wrote above. I'm
using the same Outlook 2003 program and it'[s working fine on my desktop
computer(XP).I've even tried copying the .pst file from one computer to
another, alas still won't open.

Do you know of any way I can uninstall Office 2003 from where I got the
Outlook, as a clean fresh uninstall and than start over i.e, removing all
Registry entries etc.
I do have back ups of all my data files.

Thanks for any sugestions

Old April 26th 08, 02:29 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Uninstalling and reinstalling Outlook won't help a thing. All your profiles'
registry settings will remain.
Creating a new profile correctly and connecting it correctly to an intact
PST file will fix this issue. You must not be doing that. We still have no
idea what you are doing or how you disrupted the connection between your
Outlook profile and your data file.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

Old April 26th 08, 03:14 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Diane Poremsky {MVP}

It sounds like the road runner mail was being stored in the AOL IMAP
folder - when you removed AOL, it removed the folder and you need to go to
File, New, Outlook data file.

AS an FYI, AOL does not use any proprietary gunk - its pure IMAP now, which
outlook supports as well it does any other IMAP account.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

Outlook Tips:
http://www.outlook-tips.net/

Old April 26th 08, 04:34 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

(which isn't saying much.

--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

Old April 26th 08, 04:45 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Diane Poremsky {MVP}

Yeah, its not very good as an IMAP client.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

Outlook Tips:
http://www.outlook-tips.net/

"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote in message
(which isn't saying much.

--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Diane Poremsky {MVP}" wrote in message

- its pure IMAP now, which outlook supports as well it does any other
IMAP account.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
Need Help with Common Tasks?
http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/

Outlook Tips by email:

Outlook Tips:
http://www.outlook-tips.net/

Old April 27th 08, 01:30 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Ralph

Diane,

Thanks for getting back. This problem of mine has been frustrating beyond
belief.

I even used some command switches and got back the same error message cannot
open default folders.Information store will not open. When setting up an IMAP
the "Testing Connection" doesn't seem to appear.

This entire problem started when I attempted to add a connection to an
exixting profile. At that point the program seemed to freeze and than I
started on this round.

My main account is through AOL and I've used IMAP settings. This works fine
on my desktop computer. I can't understand why this problem on my laptop.

Do I understand you to mean that Outlook cannot be cleanly reinstalled at
any time?