Can't Open Outlook

Old April 29th 08, 10:04 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Ralph

Default Can't Open Outlook

Now you can understand my total frustration. Other than a total uninstall I
don't know what to do, other than give up on the program. I wouldn't know
where to look if this is a problem outside of Outlook. My other programs seem
to work fine with no problems.

Let me know id you want to give up on this. I guess I have the option of
paying Microsoft for help.

"Brian Tillman" wrote:

Ralph wrote:

I did everything you said, I went to mail applet ect. I did not
create a mail account.

I got back the original error message "Unable to open your default
email" "The information store could not be openned"

I'd say you have something outside of Outlook incorrectly configured on your
system; possible Windows user profile issues or file ownership problems.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

Old April 30th 08, 01:05 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Brian Tillman

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] wrote:

He should create a mail account first. Outlook may require that
before it can create a data file.

No, because I created a no mail account profile. The PST created and opened
just fine with no account.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

Old April 30th 08, 01:06 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Brian Tillman

Ralph wrote:

Now you can understand my total frustration. Other than a total
uninstall I don't know what to do, other than give up on the program.
I wouldn't know where to look if this is a problem outside of
Outlook. My other programs seem to work fine with no problems.

What I'd do were this happeneing to me would be to create a new Windows user
and see if the behavior was different for that user.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

Old April 30th 08, 02:38 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Bhuff

I can not send emails from outlook. It will receive them but not send them
out. can you help me. My website provider is go-daddy.
--
13

"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

...as posted yesterday.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Diane Poremsky {MVP}" wrote in message
uninstalling /reinstalling won't fix anything that Help, Detect and Repair
(or Office Diagnostics) won't fix. There are files left behind under your
windows under acct folder that won't be removed in an uninstall.

have you tried making a new profile? go to control panel, mail and add a
new profile. (leave the existing one in place for now.)

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

Outlook Tips:
http://www.outlook-tips.net/

"Ralph" wrote in message
Diane,

Thanks for getting back. This problem of mine has been frustrating beyond
belief.

I even used some command switches and got back the same error message
cannot
open default folders.Information store will not open. When setting up an
IMAP
the "Testing Connection" doesn't seem to appear.

This entire problem started when I attempted to add a connection to an
exixting profile. At that point the program seemed to freeze and than I
started on this round.

My main account is through AOL and I've used IMAP settings. This works
fine
on my desktop computer. I can't understand why this problem on my laptop.

Do I understand you to mean that Outlook cannot be cleanly reinstalled at
any time?

"Diane Poremsky {MVP}" wrote:

Yeah, its not very good as an IMAP client.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
Need Help with Common Tasks?

Outlook Tips by email:

Outlook Tips:
http://www.outlook-tips.net/

"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote in message
(which isn't saying much.

--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Diane Poremsky {MVP}" wrote in message

- its pure IMAP now, which outlook supports as well it does any
other
IMAP account.

Old April 30th 08, 09:48 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

I know that's always worked with earlier versions, but wasn't sure it would
work as reliably with Outlook 2007 since it is the least forgiving version
yet in managing and creating PST files.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

Old May 1st 08, 01:27 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Brian Tillman

Bhuff wrote:

I can not send emails from outlook. It will receive them but not
send them out. can you help me. My website provider is go-daddy.

So, what happens when you try? What version of Outlook are you using?
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]
Old May 3rd 08, 01:16 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Ralph

Brian,

I finally got around to opening a new User account in Vista. IT WORKED!!!

I can now open Outlook, my "mail test" went through with no difficulties

The only thing I havde to do now is reset all my stuff under the new User
name.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this is the end.

Thanks again,

Ralph

Old May 5th 08, 01:21 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Brian Tillman

Ralph wrote:

I finally got around to opening a new User account in Vista. IT
WORKED!!!

I can now open Outlook, my "mail test" went through with no
difficulties

Glad to hear it.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]
Old February 27th 10, 06:55 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Vicky Kelder

Default Thank you Brian for your helpful posts

Realize this is an old post, but wanted to say big thank you for helping solve my problem which was similar to orginal poster.

Brian Tillman wrote:

Can't Open Outlook
29-Apr-08

Ralph wrote:

With Outlook closed, go into Control Panel, run the Mail applet, click Show
Profiles, then Add to add a new profile whose name is different from any
existing profile, then click the Data Files button to add a PST (since you
need one even if you have no mail account). Select the option to always
choose this new profile so that it always opens. Do all this prep before
starting Outlook. Close out of the Mail applet and start Outlook. You may
be asked if you want to create a mail account. Answer No. Outlook should
open with a full set of folders but no account. You'll get the choice to
continue with the no mail configuration. If you have an existing PST with
contacts in it, use FileOpenOutlook Data File to open it. Open its
Contacts folder, select all the items in that folder with Ctrl-A, then click
EditCopy to Folder, specifying the default Contacts folder as the
destintion. Do this with any folder in the old PST that contains data you
want to keep, like the Calendar (although you'll need to display it in a
table view before Ctrl-A will work). When you have all the data you wish,
right-click the old PST's root and choose Close.

I tried all this myself, so I know it works.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

On Friday, April 25, 2008 4:25 PM
Ralp wrote:

Can't Open Outlook
I have tried so many "fixes", nothing seems to work. I'm using Outlook 2003
on a Vista laptop.

Here's the error message"Unable to open your default email folders. The
information store store could not be opened"

I've tried, new profiles, uinstalling, safe mode etc.

Any sugestions

On Friday, April 25, 2008 4:41 PM
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] wrote:

What we need to know is what information store you are using and how you
What we need to know is what information store you are using and how you
configured Outlook to connect to it. We also need to know the steps that
created this behavior.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Ralph" wrote in message

On Friday, April 25, 2008 5:06 PM
Ralp wrote:

I'm really a novice at this.
I'm really a novice at this. I don't know what is meant by "information store"
I only know what the eror message said

I set up AOL using an IMAP type to connect, if this is what you meant. Could
you be more specific.

Thanks for youre reply

Ralph
"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

On Friday, April 25, 2008 5:20 PM
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] wrote:

"Information store" is the data file that Outlook uses.
"Information store" is the data file that Outlook uses. Since you posted in
an Outlook group, I naturally assumed you were using one of the native
transports and data files that Outlook supports. Turns out, you are using a
third party transport with its own proprietary data file. Accordingly, you
question should be directed to AOL, not Outlook.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Ralph" wrote in message

On Saturday, April 26, 2008 8:20 AM
Ralp wrote:

Russ,I have access to both an AOL account and a Road Runer Account.
Russ,

I have access to both an AOL account and a Road Runer Account. The Road
Runer account is a POP3 account. When I deleted my AOL profile and put in my
Road Runner Profile I got the same error message that I wrote above. I'm
using the same Outlook 2003 program and it'[s working fine on my desktop
computer(XP).I've even tried copying the .pst file from one computer to
another, alas still won't open.

Do you know of any way I can uninstall Office 2003 from where I got the
Outlook, as a clean fresh uninstall and than start over i.e, removing all
Registry entries etc.
I do have back ups of all my data files.

Thanks for any sugestions

"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

On Saturday, April 26, 2008 9:29 AM
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] wrote:

Uninstalling and reinstalling Outlook won't help a thing.
Uninstalling and reinstalling Outlook won't help a thing. All your profiles'
registry settings will remain.
Creating a new profile correctly and connecting it correctly to an intact
PST file will fix this issue. You must not be doing that. We still have no
idea what you are doing or how you disrupted the connection between your
Outlook profile and your data file.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Ralph" wrote in message

On Saturday, April 26, 2008 10:14 AM
Diane Poremsky {MVP} wrote:

It sounds like the road runner mail was being stored in the AOL IMAP folder -
It sounds like the road runner mail was being stored in the AOL IMAP
folder - when you removed AOL, it removed the folder and you need to go to
File, New, Outlook data file.

AS an FYI, AOL does not use any proprietary gunk - its pure IMAP now, which
outlook supports as well it does any other IMAP account.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

Outlook Tips:
http://www.outlook-tips.net/

"Ralph" wrote in message

On Saturday, April 26, 2008 11:34 AM
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] wrote:

(which isn't saying much.
(which is not saying much.

--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

- its pure IMAP now, which outlook supports as well it does any other IMAP
account.

On Saturday, April 26, 2008 11:45 AM
Diane Poremsky {MVP} wrote:

Yeah, its not very good as an IMAP client.
Yeah, its not very good as an IMAP client.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
Need Help with Common Tasks?
http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/

Outlook Tips by email:

Outlook Tips:
http://www.outlook-tips.net/

"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote in message

On Sunday, April 27, 2008 8:30 AM
Ralp wrote:

Diane,Thanks for getting back.
Diane,

Thanks for getting back. This problem of mine has been frustrating beyond
belief.

I even used some command switches and got back the same error message cannot
open default folders.Information store will not open. When setting up an IMAP
the "Testing Connection" doesn't seem to appear.

This entire problem started when I attempted to add a connection to an
exixting profile. At that point the program seemed to freeze and than I
started on this round.

My main account is through AOL and I've used IMAP settings. This works fine
on my desktop computer. I can't understand why this problem on my laptop.

Do I understand you to mean that Outlook cannot be cleanly reinstalled at
any time?

"Diane Poremsky {MVP}" wrote:

On Sunday, April 27, 2008 5:57 PM
Diane Poremsky {MVP} wrote:

uninstalling /reinstalling won't fix anything that Help, Detect and Repair (or
uninstalling /reinstalling won't fix anything that Help, Detect and Repair
(or Office Diagnostics) won't fix. There are files left behind under your
windows under acct folder that won't be removed in an uninstall.

have you tried making a new profile? go to control panel, mail and add a new
profile. (leave the existing one in place for now.)

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
Need Help with Common Tasks?
http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/

Outlook Tips by email:

Outlook Tips:
http://www.outlook-tips.net/

"Ralph" wrote in message

On Sunday, April 27, 2008 8:31 PM
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] wrote:

....as posted yesterday.
....as posted yesterday.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

On Monday, April 28, 2008 7:39 AM
Brian Tillman wrote:

Can't Open Outlook
Ralph wrote:

If you're using an IMAP account, then Outlook is probably complaining that
you haven't created a default folder set. IMAP folders can never be the
default folders, so Outlook needs a PST (Personal Folders file) that can be
the default. In Control Panel, run the Mail applet and click the Data Files
button. What do you see?
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

On Monday, April 28, 2008 9:33 AM
Ralp wrote:

Brian,I'm a little confused.
Brian,

I'm a little confused. I do run Outlook on my main desktop computer using
AOL as my default mail. I use the same exact settings and still can't open
the program.

Nevertheless, on this computer(laptop running Vista) I did set up another
account using POP3 through Road Runner.
And still won't open However I did what you suggested and checked the data
file and this is what it showed:

Personal Folder C:\User\Ralph\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\Outl ook4.pst

Is there anyway I can open the Outlook program without email accounts just
to get to my address book?
"Brian Tillman" wrote:

On Monday, April 28, 2008 2:46 PM
Brian Tillman wrote:

Can't Open Outlook
Ralph wrote:

I never said the IMAP account could be the default account. I said the IMAP
folders can't be the delivery location folders.

And is that PST the one used for the delivery location?

A new mail profile with no email accounts should work.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

On Tuesday, April 29, 2008 7:41 AM
Ralp wrote:

I had a little more success. I deleted all my mail profiles.
I had a little more success. I deleted all my mail profiles. The program than
openned with a Welcome screen saying "Welcome to Outlook? would you like to
open an email account. I filled in "no" the next screen showed and than this
error message appeared " Unable to open email folder. Outlook could not start
because a data file to send and receive emails could not be found.To add a
data, double click on the mail folder icon in Window control panel.

I did that and than the same old message came on saying unable to open
default folders. Information store could not be found"

At this point I'm more than willing to just have my address book and have
the account open. Any more suggestions?

Thanks,

Ralph

"Brian Tillman" wrote:

On Tuesday, April 29, 2008 8:13 AM
Brian Tillman wrote:

Can't Open Outlook
Ralph wrote:

[...]

On Tuesday, April 29, 2008 9:12 AM
Ralp wrote:

Brian,I did everything you said, I went to mail applet ect.
Brian,

I did everything you said, I went to mail applet ect. I did not create a
mail account.

I got back the original error message "Unable to open your default email"
"The information store could not be openned"
"Brian Tillman" wrote:

On Tuesday, April 29, 2008 2:25 PM
Brian Tillman wrote:

Can't Open Outlook
I'd say you have something outside of Outlook incorrectly configured on your
system; possible Windows user profile issues or file ownership problems.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

On Tuesday, April 29, 2008 4:21 PM
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] wrote:

He should create a mail account first.
He should create a mail account first. Outlook may require that before it
can create a data file.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

On Tuesday, April 29, 2008 5:04 PM
Ralp wrote:

Now you can understand my total frustration.
Now you can understand my total frustration. Other than a total uninstall I
don't know what to do, other than give up on the program. I wouldn't know
where to look if this is a problem outside of Outlook. My other programs seem
to work fine with no problems.

Let me know id you want to give up on this. I guess I have the option of
paying Microsoft for help.

"Brian Tillman" wrote:

On Wednesday, April 30, 2008 8:05 AM
Brian Tillman wrote:

Can't Open Outlook
No, because I created a no mail account profile. The PST created and opened
just fine with no account.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

On Wednesday, April 30, 2008 8:06 AM
Brian Tillman wrote:

Can't Open Outlook
What I'd do were this happeneing to me would be to create a new Windows user
and see if the behavior was different for that user.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

On Wednesday, April 30, 2008 8:36 AM
Ralp wrote:

Can't Open Outlook
I will give it a try and let you know,

Thanks

"Brian Tillman" wrote:

On Wednesday, April 30, 2008 9:38 AM
Bhuf wrote:

I can not send emails from outlook.
I can not send emails from outlook. It will receive them but not send them
out. can you help me. My website provider is go-daddy.
--
13

"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

On Wednesday, April 30, 2008 4:48 PM
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] wrote:

I know that's always worked with earlier versions, but wasn't sure it would
I know that's always worked with earlier versions, but wasn't sure it would
work as reliably with Outlook 2007 since it is the least forgiving version
yet in managing and creating PST files.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Brian Tillman" wrote in message

On Thursday, May 01, 2008 8:27 AM
Brian Tillman wrote:

Can't Open Outlook
So, what happens when you try? What version of Outlook are you using?
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

On Saturday, May 03, 2008 8:16 AM
Ralp wrote:

Brian,I finally got around to opening a new User account in Vista. IT WORKED!!!
Brian,

I finally got around to opening a new User account in Vista. IT WORKED!!!

I can now open Outlook, my "mail test" went through with no difficulties

The only thing I havde to do now is reset all my stuff under the new User
name.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this is the end.

Thanks again,

Ralph
"Brian Tillman" wrote:

On Sunday, May 04, 2008 8:21 PM
Brian Tillman wrote:

Can't Open Outlook
Glad to hear it.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

WPF Custom Validation Using the Enterprise Library
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials...ation-usi.aspx