all emails have an htm attachment

Old December 29th 07, 09:33 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
janh

Default all emails have an htm attachment

ouch i was hoping you wouldt say that, i dont like this norton 360, i
disabled it, and it took all day for me to enable it again, grr, is this
something im gonna have to live with? norton does have a nice chat remote
assist
--
janet

"Bruce Hagen" wrote:

Make sure e-mail scanning is disabled in your AV and see if that makes a
difference.

Turn off e-mail scanning in your anti-virus program. It is a redundant layer
of protection that eats up CPUs, slows down sending and receiving, and
causes a multitude of problems such as time-outs, account setting changes
and has even been responsible for lose of messages. Your up-to-date A/V
program will continue to protect you sufficiently. For more, see:
http://www.oehelp.com/OETips.aspx#3
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express

"janh" wrote in message
hi, bruce, im sorry, im not getting this. when i go into OE 6, i can click
on
WE ISO, but not in IE.
--
janet

"Bruce Hagen" wrote:

Outlook Express message appears blank and has an ATT000XX.txt or an
ATT000XX.htm attachment:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=312351

And from:
http://pages.prodigy.net/michael_santovec/decode.htm

Besides the problem described in this article with temporary files,
Outlook
Express may have a blank message if Internet Explorer is set at View,
Encoding to Auto-Select. If so, disable the Auto-Select in Internet
Explorer
and choose instead Western European (ISO). If your program has an option
read HTML messages in Plain Text, the HTML version of the message may
appear
as an ATT0001.HTM attachment (the number may vary).
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express

"janh" wrote in message
hi, brucey, yes, has ATT followed by number. i did the test. i inserted
an
attachment, it was the only option, and i have to open the attachment,
dont
see it unless i open, thanks, hope you can help me, J--
janet

"Bruce Hagen" wrote:

Do the attachments start with ATT followed by a number and .htm, or
just
number and .htm?

Do this. Create a new message and Insert, not attach, a graphic and
send
it
to yourself. Can you see the graphic without opening the attachment?
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express

"janh" wrote in message
hi, im not sure what AVG is, i have norton 360, thanks for your
post,
this
is
driving me nuts! J
--
janet

"Bruce Hagen" wrote:

Do the attachments start with ATT#######.htm?

Are you using AVG as an anti-virus?
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express

"janh" wrote in message
hi, all my emails have an 23940394.htm attachment, all the
numbers
are
different, this is just an example. ive tried everything people
have
suggested, went into IE account, and the wording is different
under
deleting
files. what am i doing wrong. when i open these attachments, its
the
same
exact wording as the email. i have plain text unclicked. this
has
been
doing
this for a couple of months. i have IE 7, and OUT EX 6, thanks
for
any
help
--
janet

Old December 29th 07, 09:38 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Michael Santovec

Tools, Options, Read, Read All Messages in Plain Text.

You have that option selected. Seeing the HTML attachment is normal
when the sender uses HTML format and you have option enabled.

Old December 29th 07, 09:42 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Bruce Hagen

You should only disable e-mail scanning and leave it disabled. You need the
rest of your AV program, although Norton is not very compatible with Outlook
Express.

Turning e-mail scanning on or off using Norton:

Note that with some programs, you have to uninstall and then reinstall in
custom mode and opt out of e-mail scanning when you see the option. Just
turning it off doesn't always work.
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express

Old December 29th 07, 10:23 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
PA Bear

Delete Temporary Internet Files.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net

Old December 29th 07, 10:31 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
janh

oh, great, someone else, thanks for your help, but i dont want that
attachment to be there, it never was before. i dont like this norton 360,
its not user friendly, and TOO much protection, you cant just disable and
enable. and the instructions dont fit my AV program, the wording doesnt
match my settings. i dont see why i have to cut this stupid thing off every
time i have to fix a setting. very frustrating for me
--
janet

Old December 29th 07, 11:02 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
janh

done that, nothing is working, i think its a norton problem, and cant get
them in support right now. thanks
--
janet

Old December 29th 07, 11:08 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
janh

you know, guys, i think its some kind of virus, because when i went to try to
open that htm attachment, it told me that its a restricted site. i think the
only way to get rid of it is to uninstall windows xp, but the last time i did
it, computer ended up in the shop. its a mess, unless someone can help me do
that without too much problem, i guess ill have to live with this, t hanks, j
--
janet

Old December 29th 07, 11:08 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Bruce Hagen

Whether it's Norton, or not, and it very well may be, you will be doing
yourself a favor in getting rid of it.

I would suggest either Avast, (freeware), or NOD32, (not free).

In the case of Avast, choose Custom Installation and under Resident
Protection, uncheck: Internet Mail and Outlook/Exchange.

Norton, and McAfee, products are not Outlook Express friendly, and I don't
know of any OE-MVP that would recommend using them.

Avast:

NOD32:
http://www.eset.com/

To remove Norton completely:

Commonly used Symantec tools:

Using the Norton Removal Tool:

Removing NAV 2003 and earlier using Rnav2003.exe.

Symantec NIS, NAV and NSW 2004, 2005, 2006 removal
http://basconotw.mvps.org/SymRem.htm

Symantec NIS, Norton Antispam, and NPF 2004, 2005, 2006 removal
http://basconotw.mvps.org/SymRem1.htm

And if necessary:
http://www.ccleaner.com/
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express

Old December 29th 07, 11:26 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
mac

"janh" wrote in message
you know, guys, i think its some kind of virus, because when i went to try
open that htm attachment, it told me that its a restricted site. i think
the
only way to get rid of it is to uninstall windows xp, but the last time i
did
it, computer ended up in the shop. its a mess, unless someone can help me
do
that without too much problem, i guess ill have to live with this, t
hanks, j
--
janet

Just go to Tools, Options, Read, and remove the check mark from Read All
Messages in Plain Text.

--
Regards Steve.
MS-MVP. OE. [DTS] UK