Insert File shuts down Outlook

Old September 19th 06, 06:53 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Jiggy

Default Insert File shuts down Outlook

Is this a peculiar problem or what? I tried doing a web search, not
many have encountered it. I use Outlook 2003, and have unchecked "Use
MS Word to edit email messages". Now, when I try to insert a file in a
new message, outlook completely shuts down. (When I try to use the drop
down box to select the file). Could it be an explorer.exe fault? Funny
part is, works perfectly when I use Word to edit emails and also when
another user is logged on and using outlook with "Use word ... "
unchecked. Mine is a standalone computer using windows XP home - SP2. I
have even installed SP2 for MS Office.

Old September 19th 06, 07:34 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Agent_C

On 19 Sep 2006 10:53:17 -0700, "Jiggy" wrote:

Now, when I try to insert a file in a
new message, outlook completely shuts down. (When I try to use the drop
down box to select the file).

When you say 'shuts down' what exactly happens? Does Outlook freeze,
or terminate entirely and bring you back to the desktop?

A_C
Old September 20th 06, 07:53 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Jiggy

Agent_C wrote:
On 19 Sep 2006 10:53:17 -0700, "Jiggy" wrote:

Now, when I try to insert a file in a
new message, outlook completely shuts down. (When I try to use the drop
down box to select the file).

When you say 'shuts down' what exactly happens? Does Outlook freeze,
or terminate entirely and bring you back to the desktop?

A_C

Yes, it completely disappears, terminates entirley and brings me back
to the desktop.

Jiggy

Old September 20th 06, 12:55 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Agent_C

On 19 Sep 2006 23:53:11 -0700, "Jiggy" wrote:

Yes, it completely disappears, terminates entirley and brings me back
to the desktop.

What have you done (if anything) to remedy it? The first thing I'd try
is a complete uninstall/reinstall of Microsoft Office and include all
patches and service releases from Windows Update.

A_C

Old September 21st 06, 07:22 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Jiggy

Agent_C wrote:
On 19 Sep 2006 23:53:11 -0700, "Jiggy" wrote:

Yes, it completely disappears, terminates entirley and brings me back
to the desktop.

What have you done (if anything) to remedy it? The first thing I'd try
is a complete uninstall/reinstall of Microsoft Office and include all
patches and service releases from Windows Update.

A_C

I didn't completely uninstall and reinstall MS Office, but yes, I did
reinstall it through the MS Office CD (i.e. without uninstalling it). I
was afraid I might lose data if I uninstalled it completely. I have
also installed the SP2 for Windows XP AND for MS Office.

As I said, this doesn't happen all the time, it does, though, at most
times. Once, I had attached the file, started typing the body of the
email, and poof! the whole of outlook disappeared from the scene! This
happens only when I'm NOT using MS Word to edit emails.

Important thing is, works perfectly when my wife uses Outlook through
her login, same system, standalone!

Jiggy

Old September 21st 06, 01:24 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Brian Tillman

Jiggy wrote:

As I said, this doesn't happen all the time, it does, though, at most
times. Once, I had attached the file, started typing the body of the
email, and poof! the whole of outlook disappeared from the scene! This
happens only when I'm NOT using MS Word to edit emails.

Try a new mail profile.
--
Brian Tillman