Shortcuts do not work when using Insert/File Attachment

Old January 19th 06, 02:12 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Millicent

Default Shortcuts do not work when using Insert/File Attachment

I have just upgraded to Windows XP from Windows 2000.
In Outlook Express under Windows 2000 if I created a new message and then
went to Insert/File Attachment and clicked on one of my desktop folder
shortcuts, it would open the folder and allow me to select something inside
the folder to attach. In other words a FOLDER SHORTCUT behaved in exactly the
same way as a FOLDER.
In Windows XP if I do the same thing, it adds the SHORTCUT file, example
FOLDERNAME.lnk, as the attachment - which is pretty useless. I can't imagine
why anyone would want to send an attachment of a FOLDER SHORTCUT.
A couple of interesting things I have discovered in trying to solve this
problem.
1. If I choose Insert/Text from File or Insert/Picture, the FOLDER shortcuts
work as they should and open.
2. A friend is using Outlook 2003 under Windows XP and the Insert/File
option in that program does NOT behave the same way - it allows the user to
open the FOLDER SHORTCUT. So why would the Microsoft program that you have to
buy behave differently from the one that you get for free with Windows XP? Is
this to try to entice us to buy Outlook.
Please note: I know I can work around this problem by opening the shortcut
and dragging the files to the message or by finding the file by going through
the C: drive. BUT that kind of defeats the purpose of using FOLDER SHORTCUTS,
which I use all the time to navigate around my computer given I have a large
number of documents stored in a very hierarchical structure.
Can anyone help with an answer to this - or is it just something I have to
put up with?
Old January 19th 06, 04:37 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
DGuess

"Millicent" wrote in message
[...]

Actually I think this has been a bug for years. There is no work around that
I'm aware of and I doubt there will be since the nature of the beast is to
take whatever file that is selected and attach it.

It just seems that the logic used to detect a shortcut to a folder or file
was not used to select the actual path of the folder or file then open it
(in the case of a folder).

Old January 20th 06, 12:14 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
PA Bear

Is the machine fully up-to-date at Windows Update and running SP2?
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE, Shell/User, Security), Aumha.org VSOP, DTS-L.org

Old January 22nd 06, 04:52 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Millicent

The machine is fully up to date at Windows Update and running SP2, but the
problem still occurs.
Seems to be something in how the program is set up that is different from
Outlook.

Millicent

Old January 25th 06, 02:39 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Millicent

As stated the machine is up to date - have you any more thoughts on how to
get around this problem

Old January 25th 06, 05:52 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
PA Bear

As the behavior would seem to have nothing whatsoever to do with Outlook
Express, create a new User Profile and see if the behavior persists in it.
--
~PA Bear

Old March 9th 06, 10:57 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Thomas

Hi all,

I'm seeing the same problem too. Is there a workaround for this?

I've always used this OE attachment feature, but now are seeing it on
systems where I run XP SP2 + OE6sp2.

thanks for any tips, help,
Thomas

Old March 12th 06, 07:39 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE

"Thomas" wrote in message

Hi all,

I'm seeing the same problem too. Is there a workaround for this?

I've always used this OE attachment feature, but now are seeing it on
systems where I run XP SP2 + OE6sp2.

Did you try a new identity?

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

Old March 13th 06, 11:36 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Millicent

Hi Thomas

There is no workaround. I contacted Microsoft tech support directly who
confirmed that the problem did indeed exist, that it was how it worked under
XP because the Attachment function was different from the the open function.
Their suggestion was to send through a request for a change to the Microsoft
"mywish" email list and wait and hope that it was fixed in a future upgrade!!!

Regards
Millicent

Old March 14th 06, 08:26 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
[email protected]

Millicent,

Thanks for confirming that there really is no workaround and that this
is just a new XP "feature" that prevents navigating via shortcuts while
using OE's attachment feature.

Thanks,
Thomas