Socket Error: 10060

Old March 5th 06, 01:02 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
N Delaney

Default Socket Error: 10060

I am on a home lan with a linksys router and a cable modem. My OS is winXP
prof with service pack 2.

I have an email (webmail) account with prodigy (SBC Yahoo) and have set up
Outlook express according to the ISP's instructions (all the right
addresses, all the right ports, etc.) I have all firewalls (the router's
and xp's) shut off and virus checker stopped.

I can receive email, but get this error message when I try to send mail.:
Socket Error: 10060, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

I googled for info, but found nothing helpful.

Would appreciate any assistance with this.

Many thanks,
N Delaney

Old March 5th 06, 03:52 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
BoaterDave

Hi - try here!

http://search.microsoft.com/results....S&q=0x800CCC0E

Dave

Old March 5th 06, 10:11 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE

"N Delaney" wrote in message

I am on a home lan with a linksys router and a cable modem. My OS is
winXP prof with service pack 2.

I have an email (webmail) account with prodigy (SBC Yahoo) and have
set up Outlook express according to the ISP's instructions (all the
right addresses, all the right ports, etc.) I have all firewalls
(the router's and xp's) shut off and virus checker stopped.

I can receive email, but get this error message when I try to send
mail.: Socket Error: 10060, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

I googled for info, but found nothing helpful.

Would appreciate any assistance with this.

Many thanks,
N Delaney

Turn off email scanning in your anti-virus. As long as the anti-virus is
running in the background the email scanning provides no added protection.

Turn off any anti-spam program.

Tools | Accounts
Double click the account and on the Servers tab make sure the server names
are correct.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE
"Anyone who prefers security over freedom deserves neither."

Old March 5th 06, 11:10 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Michael Santovec

The full text of the error message would be helpful. That includes the
server name, server type, port number, socket error code, SSL, etc. For
best results, copy/paste the error message rather than retyping it. You
should be able to highlight the message text in the error window (hold
down the left mouse button while dragging the mouse over the text).
Then press Ctrl-C (hold down the Ctrl key while pressing the C key) to
copy the highlighted text to the Windows clipboard. You can then paste
that text into the problem description using the Ctrl-V key combination.

Are you connected to the Internet via SBC when you try to send? If not,
this applies:
Some ISPs block access to other SMTP mail servers while connected via
them. (They block TCP/IP port 25 except to their own SMTP mail server.)
Some of these ISPs will make exceptions if you present a compelling
reason to do this. The error messages may indicate network is
unreachable, access denied, or timeout errors (socket errors 10051,
10061 and 10060.) Another workaround for this is to use the SMTP mail
server of the service that you connect via, but leave your other
settings the same. In some cases you can use Port 587 or 465 rather
than port 25 (specify in OE at Tools, Accounts, Mail, Properties,
Advanced). Your ISP is more likely to allow this port. The SMTP mail
server has to support this port. SMTP Authentication will likely be
required (SBC/Yahoo always requires this, even when directly connected
via SBC). In OE this is specified in Tools, Accounts, Mail, Properties,
Servers, Outgoing Mail Server, My Server Requires Authentication.

Also see:
How to troubleshoot error messages that you receive when try to send and
receive e-mail in Outlook and in Outlook Express
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=813514

Old March 6th 06, 02:32 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
N. Miller

On Sun, 5 Mar 2006 07:02:45 -0500, N Delaney wrote:

I am on a home lan with a linksys router and a cable modem. My OS is winXP
prof with service pack 2.

I have an email (webmail) account with prodigy (SBC Yahoo) and have set up
Outlook express according to the ISP's instructions (all the right
addresses, all the right ports, etc.) I have all firewalls (the router's
and xp's) shut off and virus checker stopped.

I can receive email, but get this error message when I try to send mail.:
Socket Error: 10060, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

I googled for info, but found nothing helpful.

Would appreciate any assistance with this.

If you are trying to connect to 'smtp.prodigy.yahoo.com' from an Optimum
On-Line Internet connection, you have to change things a bit. OOL blocks
outbound port 25 to SMTP servers other than OOL SMTP servers. However,
'smtp.prodigy.yahoo.com' does accept connections on port 587. Set MS
Outlook Express for port 587 by going to the "Advanced" tab on the account
properties. The 'smtp.prodigy.yahoo.com' server does require
authentication.

--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come