Old March 5th 06, 09:11 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE

Default Socket Error: 10060

"N Delaney" wrote in message

I am on a home lan with a linksys router and a cable modem. My OS is
winXP prof with service pack 2.

I have an email (webmail) account with prodigy (SBC Yahoo) and have
set up Outlook express according to the ISP's instructions (all the
right addresses, all the right ports, etc.) I have all firewalls
(the router's and xp's) shut off and virus checker stopped.

I can receive email, but get this error message when I try to send
mail.: Socket Error: 10060, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

I googled for info, but found nothing helpful.

Would appreciate any assistance with this.

Many thanks,
N Delaney

Turn off email scanning in your anti-virus. As long as the anti-virus is
running in the background the email scanning provides no added protection.

Turn off any anti-spam program.

Tools | Accounts
Double click the account and on the Servers tab make sure the server names
are correct.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE
"Anyone who prefers security over freedom deserves neither."