Opening EML Attachments and Identity Window

Old February 19th 06, 08:39 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
FLORENCE BUSCHBACHER

Default Opening EML Attachments and Identity Window

First time to this group.

I am helping a friend out with his laptop. He reently subscribed to Verizon
FIOS. I sent some email messages as a test after setting up his Outlook
Express 6 with the appropriate Incoming/Outgoing settings.

His laptop has Windows XPSP2

One of the emails I sent him contained an .EML attachment.
When I attempt to open the attachemt, the Identity window appears asking to
enter the password.
No problems opening attachements other than .EML attachments.

After doing some research, found two (2) possible solutions.

1. Running regedt32, (OLEXP: Your Password Is Not Retained in Windows 2000
or Windows XP (Q264672))
locate HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Protected Storage System Provider
Right click on this key and select Permissions. Make sure Username
has Full Control accesses, Select "Replace permissions entries..."
Repeat above for each subkey.

delete the PSSP key.
Relaunch Outlook Express
Reenter your password(s), thus repopulating the PSSP key with the
correct information

2. OLEXP: Unable to Open EML file Attachements in Outlook Express (Q312355)

I think solution #2 will solve the problem and not have the Identity Window
appear when opening EML attachments or would have to perform solution #1
also.
Have not checked the laptop file association in referring to .EML as
described in solution 2 yet.

Does any one have any recommendations to resolve this problem.

Thanks

Jim

#1 won't work because it's not a protected storage problem. There is
probably a value or two from the Identities subkey either not there or
messed up.

Best best would be to rename thw Identities subkey then start OE and set it
back up. If they already have mail in OE, they can import it in afterwards.

Open Windows Explorer
Tools | Options | View tab
select "Show hidden files and folders"
Uncheck "Hide file extensions for known file types"
Click Apply then OK
Now the messdage stores (dbx files) will be visible.

From OE:

Tools | Options | Maintenance tab
Press the Store Folders button
Note the location of the current message stores (dbx files). Write it down
as you will use it to import later.

Close OE
START | Run then type in regedit
and press ENTER
Press the + sign next to HKEY_CURRENT_USER
Click on Identities subkey.
Right click on it and select Rename
rename it Identities.org

Close Regedit

Restart the computer.
Start OE then set up the accounts.
Now, import the old mail
File | Import | Messages | Microsoft Outlook Express 6
Press Next
Select "Import mail from an OE6 story directory"
Press OK
Press Browse
Navigate to the folder that you got from the Store Folder dialog.
Select it, then press OK and finish up the import.

Old February 20th 06, 01:41 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
FLORENCE BUSCHBACHER

Thanks for the information. Will let you know if it solved the problem.
After reading your information and manually going thru the steps, I beleieve
it will solve the problem.

I forgot to mention that this friend of mine was using OE for another mail
service before switching to Verizon FIOS. I believe that there is still
some registry fragments from his old identity.

Will let you know the outcome after I get with my friend.
Also, learned the importance of the dbx files even after years of
working in the IT areana, one can still learn new information.

Any way, will let you know later and thanks again for the assistance.
Jim

Old March 6th 06, 01:24 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
FLORENCE BUSCHBACHER

Like to report back with the resolution. after performing the steps you
suggested, the problem still existed. The correct
resolution was my option #2. My friend was a subscriber to Earthlink and
the EML attachments refered to Earthlink.
After changing the file type association from Earthlink to Outlook Express
problem is solved.