socket error 10053

Old March 4th 06, 10:36 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
SP

Default socket error 10053

Hi
Below is an error that I get sometimes when "sending" email. Some internet
advices mentioned that it might have to do with virus software. So not only
I disabled virus software, I uninstalled it completely, but the error still
occurred. So, for my case, virus software didn't seem to be the cause. The
strange thing is that the error did not happen every time I sent email. It
happened sporadically throughout the day and always at the moment I sent a
message. When it happened, all I needed to do was to click Send/Recv button
again and the message got sent ok.

I also tried to use port 5190 instead of the standard port 25 in account
properties, but that didn't help either.

Please help solve this problem.
Thank you
Steve

===========socket error 10053==============
inactivity. Account: 'My Account', Server: 'mail.mycompany.com', Protocol:
SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, socket error: 10053, error Number:
0x800CCC0F

Old March 4th 06, 10:48 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE

"SP" none wrote in message
Hi
Below is an error that I get sometimes when "sending" email. Some
internet advices mentioned that it might have to do with virus
software. So not only I disabled virus software, I uninstalled it
completely, but the error still occurred. So, for my case, virus
software didn't seem to be the cause. The strange thing is that the
error did not happen every time I sent email. It happened
sporadically throughout the day and always at the moment I sent a
message. When it happened, all I needed to do was to click Send/Recv
button again and the message got sent ok.
I also tried to use port 5190 instead of the standard port 25 in
account properties, but that didn't help either.

Please help solve this problem.
Thank you
Steve

===========socket error 10053==============
Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible
causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long
period of inactivity. Account: 'My Account', Server:
'mail.mycompany.com', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No,
socket error: 10053, error Number: 0x800CCC0F

The most common cause of this is anti-virus scanning the outgoing email and
slowing things down enough to cause a timeout. However, you have apparently
eliminated this cause. See this articles:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/813514

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE
"Anyone who prefers security over freedom deserves neither."

Old March 4th 06, 11:15 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
SP

Thanks for the quick response and the MS link.

Yes, I have searched and read countless articles (including yours). It's
been a puzzle still.

Steve

Old March 4th 06, 07:47 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Weasel

Sp
Try this
http://www.tiscali.co.uk/help/email/...x800ccc0f.html
Appears Modem related
BTC

Old March 4th 06, 08:07 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
SP

Thanks for the link.

Modem related ? You mean dial-up modem or broadband modem ? If dial-up, we
don't use one.

Steve

Old March 4th 06, 08:15 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Bruce Hagen

Are you using Norton?
--
Bruce Hagen
MS MVP - Outlook Express

Old March 4th 06, 09:32 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
SP

Nope, we used TrendMicro, and I have removed it from my PC just to monitor
the error. Problem still remains.

There is a possibility the problem may be within our firewall (a WatchGuard
Firebox), and I'm in contact with techsupport for solution. So far, there
is no resolution from them yet.

Steve

"Bruce Hagen" wrote in message
Are you using Norton?
--
Bruce Hagen
MS MVP - Outlook Express

Old March 4th 06, 09:36 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
PA Bear

Is 'mycompany.com' your ISP?

Troubleshooting error messages that you receive when you are using OL and OE
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=813514

Disable email scanning by your anti-virus application. It provides no
additional protection and even Symantec says it's not necessary:

paste
Disabling Email Scanning does not leave you unprotected against viruses that
are distributed as email attachments. Norton AntiVirus Auto-Protect scans
incoming files as they are saved to your hard drive, including email and
email attachments. Email Scanning is just another layer on top of this. To
make sure that Auto-Protect is providing the maximum protection, keep
Auto-Protect enabled and run LiveUpdate regularly to ensure that you have
the most recent virus definitions.
/paste
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE, Shell/User, Security), Aumha.org VSOP, DTS-L.org

Old March 4th 06, 09:47 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Bruce Hagen

Although less common, a firewall can cause the error. Make sure the Windows
Firewall is disabled since you are using a third party one. Having two
running at the same time can interfere with each other.
--
Bruce Hagen
MS MVP - Outlook Express