Not retaining password

Old November 12th 08, 08:08 AM
grutz grutz is offline
Junior Member

Default Not retaining password

Here's an interesting problem for you computer nurds.
I'm working on a computer that has two windows profiles, one is the orginal and the other is a new one just recently setup for work. Outlook 2003 isn't beening used on the orginal login profile and on the new profile it isn't retaining the password. Both have computer admin rights and OS is WinXP SP3. I've tick "remember my password" in the email accounts settings and it remains ticked but everytime it does a "send and receive" it askes you for the password. I've spent today trying to fix this issue with no success. Things I've tried:

1st - Did the registry hack, ie did the usual thing in HKEY_Current_User/Software/Microsoft/Protected Storage System Provider which has worked in the past, but not this time.
2nd - Created a new profile in Outlook.
3rd - Uninstalled AVG free v8.
4th - Deleted the email account settings and uninstalled Outlook plus deleted folders and settings that remained. Then re-installed Outlook.
5th - Deleted the recent WinXP login profile that Outlook is not working and created a new one.

Now the interesting thing is this, as a test I configured Outlook on the original login profile that has not used Outlook before and the password retains ok. So why isn't it retaining in a new winXP login profile?

Any suggestions will be much appreciated as I've rn out of ideas why it will work on one profile and not another.
Old November 12th 08, 08:49 AM
grutz grutz is offline
Junior Member

Forgot to mention that when running Outlook in safe mode but still it requires the password everytime.
Old November 12th 08, 03:05 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Brian Tillman [MVP - Outlook]

"grutz" wrote in message

[...]

What is the value in
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Exp lorer\User Shell
Folders\AppData?
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

Old November 12th 08, 05:15 PM
grutz grutz is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Tillman [MVP - Outlook] View Post

What is the value in
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Exp lorer\User Shell
Folders\AppData?
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Exp lorer\User Shell
Folders\Local AppData

%userprofile%\Local Settings\Application Data

Thanks Brian for your interest and help.

Remember it works ok on the original windows profile but not on the new one, hope this helps. A few work arounds I could try:
Copy the profile from original to the new.
Rename the original to the new work profile and visa versa.

But hey I'd rather try and find out why it isn't working as expected

Last edited by grutz : November 12th 08 at 05:28 PM.
Old November 12th 08, 06:09 PM
grutz grutz is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grutz View Post
A few work arounds I could try:

Copy the profile from original to the new.
Hi Brian

Tried the above work around. Created a new windows profile and copied over the original profile where Outlook is retaining the password. Then copied My Documents, Desktop and favourities from profile not retaining password. This fixes the problem but doesn't address the issue. I'll keep this customers laptop here for another 8 hours if you want to try something.
Old November 13th 08, 01:07 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Peter Foldes

grutz

Can you check the value in the Reg key as Brian has asked you

--
Peter

"grutz" wrote in message ...

;275366']

Old November 13th 08, 08:16 AM
grutz grutz is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Foldes View Post
grutz

Can you check the value in the Reg key as Brian has asked you

--
Peter

'Brian Tillman [MVP - Outlook Wrote:
;275366']

What is the value in
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Exp lorer\User Shell
Folders\AppData?
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Exp lorer\User Shell
Folders\Local AppData

%userprofile%\Local Settings\Application Data

grutz[/i][/color]
As I had previously posted %userprofile%\Local Settings\Application Data is the value in HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Exp lorer\User Shell
Folders\Local AppData

There is no "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ex plorer\User Shell
Folders\AppData" key.

I've now given the laptop back to customer so can not now test anything you guys come up with. I don't understand how anything in the registry can make any difference as it works find in one windows login and not the other. The work around worked fine, just created another login and copied over the profile that works so the issue must be inside the profiles, not registry. Is this correct or not?
Old November 13th 08, 12:39 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Brian Tillman [MVP - Outlook]

"grutz" wrote in message

As I had previously posted %userprofile%\Local Settings\Application
Data is the value in
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Exp lorer\User Shell
Folders\Local AppData

But that's not the one I asked about.

There is no
"HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ex plorer\User Shell
Folders\AppData" key.

That key should exist and its value should be

%UserProfile%\Application Data

If that key doesn't exist, create it and give it the value I state above.
There's something wrong with your Windows installation if a new user profile
doesn't get that value. Outlook stores send/receive data in that folder so
if it doesn't exist, Outlook can't retain send/.receive data and will keep
asking for the password.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

Old December 22nd 08, 05:36 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Brian Tillman [MVP - Outlook]

"K2NNJ" wrote in message

Should there be a "local settings" before application data??

No. The AppData environment variable's path should not include "Local
Settings".
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]