error prtocol smpt, port 25, no socket error,10061, nr 0x8ooCCC0e

Old August 15th 06, 08:02 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Larry W StJohn

Default error prtocol smpt, port 25, no socket error,10061, nr 0x8ooCCC0e

I am 70 yrs old and a novice for sure. Im using Outlook (not express) 2003,
I scanned 4 sheets to sent to my son and imported them into a email, I get
the following error and Bellsouth says not their propblem, said to contact
Microsoft. Error is: The connection to the server has failed, account
, server mail bellsouth.net , protocol SMPT, Port 25,
Secure (SSL) no socket error 10061, error number 0x8ooCCC0E.
The attachments go to the email just fine, its just when I try to send is
when I get the error.. If anyone can help me I would appreciate it.
Thanks
Old August 15th 06, 08:56 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
K. Orland

Hi Larry

I must compliment you on your resourcefulness and willingness to be computer
literate!

In your case the first thing I would check is how often you are polling the
server for your email. I would make sure it's at least 10 minutes apart.

Another thing I would do is make sure that you're not scanning incoming and
outgoing email with your antivirus software. It's a redundant layer of
protection that uses up CPU and can cause a multitude of problems such as
timeouts. Your up-to-date AV application will continue to protect you even if
it's not scanning your incoming and outgoing mail.

Please try these changes and post back. If you still have issues, there are
more things that we can suggest I'm sure plus there are many more people here
with alot more knowledge than I have.

--
Kathleen Orland
http://www.howto-outlook.com/

Old August 15th 06, 09:51 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Larry W StJohn

Default error prtocol smpt, port 25, no socket error,10061, nr 0x8ooCC

Pls tell me how to do the things you speak of and I will try them, sorry to
be apest

Old August 15th 06, 09:57 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
K. Orland

Hi Larry,

In the account set up of Outlook, in the properties of your profile there is
likely a spot where you have told Outlook how often to pull mail from your
ISP. I can't say exactly where it is because I use Outlook in an Exchange
(business) environment. If you click on Tools, Options, Mail Services you may
find it there. If that's incorrect I know that someone will come along and
give you the exact location to look.

What antivirus package are you using? If you click on the antivirus icon in
your system tray (where the clock is, the default is the lower right-hand
corner of your screen) you may be able to bring up a console or by clicking
start then scrolling to programmes and select it from there. You should be
able to change the configuration within the software. If you don't find what
you're looking for, please post back.

--
Kathleen Orland
http://www.howto-outlook.com/

Old August 16th 06, 01:25 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Larry W StJohn

I still need to know how to do the things Kathleen mentions, also she doesnt
tell me what to change?? Also I'm using Mcafee Virus protection, someone pls
get me straight, help?

Old August 16th 06, 01:37 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
K. Orland

Hi Larry
Regarding the polling, what that means is I'm thinking you should check how
often Outlook contacts your email server to send/receive email. If it's less
than 10 minutes, it could be too often and that could be the cause of the
timeout. You should find that in Outlook by clicking on Tools, Options, Mail
Services.
Regarding your antivirus, if you call it up under Start, Programmes, then
you should be able to bring up a console that configures whether or not it
scans your incoming/outgoing email. You should turn that off.

--
Kathleen Orland
http://www.howto-outlook.com/

Old August 16th 06, 02:39 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Brian Tillman

Larry W StJohn wrote:

Pls tell me how to do the things you speak of and I will try them,
sorry to be apest

To check your send/receive interval, while viewing your Inbox, press
ALT-CTRL-S. You'll get a "Send/Receive Groups" doalogue box. In the lower
half of the dialogue you'll see a pair of "Schedule an automatic
send/receive every" labels followed by a field where you can enter a time
value in minutes. Check the box in front of the upper one of these labels
and enter a value of 10 in the "minutes" box.

Alas, I can't tell you how to disable Norton's integration with Outlook, but
if you start your antivirus program, there should be an Options item under
one of the menus in the program (usually Tools, but I'm not familiar with
Norton AV) or there should be a Control Panel entry for the program that
will allow you to enable or disable scanning mail.
--
Brian Tillman