cannot access MSnews.microsoft.com

Old August 29th 09, 01:10 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
N. Miller

Default cannot access MSnews.microsoft.com

On Wed, 26 Aug 2009 11:48:03 -0700, Zuke wrote:

Yes.
"this server requries me to logon" has been checked, with my windows live
account name and password, adn "remember password" is checked.

If I uncheck "this server requires me to login" I still get the same errors.

When I try to open a spceific newsgroup, I get this error:

Header download for the 'microsoft.public.windows.server.active_directory'
folder did not complete. Account: 'msnews.microsoft.com', Server:
'msnews.microsoft.com', Protocol: NNTP, Port: 119, Secure(SSL): No, Error
Number: 0x800CCC15

Regarding that particular error number, I found this link:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/813514

And this Internet search offers more links:

http://ws.copernic.com/copern/ws/results/0/Error%20Number!3A%200x800CCC15/1/417/topnavigation/Relevance/iq=true/zoom=off/_iceUrlFlag=7?_IceUrl=true

In general, if a Telnet console connection to port 119 works, then it is not
likely a firewall issue. Outbound connections do not need firewall pinholes,
and a successful Telnet connection only verifies that.

The 'msnews.microsoft.com' server does not require authentication of any
kind, nor does it require a secure connection. Using port 119, with no
username and password should work.

All that is left, really, is any third party anti spam, or anti virus
applications, or other kind of proxy. MS Outlook Express seems to not play
well with proxies. You could try lengthening the timeout value of the
connection. Account Properties, Advance tab. Drag the slider closer to the
right for a longer server timeout value.

If you have not done so, try setting up logging. Tools | Options |
Maintenance. Near the bottom is a "Troubleshooting" section with check boxes
for SMTP, News, POP3, IMAP, and HTTPMail (maybe more, or different order).
Place a check in the box labeled, "News". Here is an example for an article
I posted to 'microsoft.public.test.here':

| Microsoft Internet Messaging API 6.00.2900.5579 (xpsp_sp3_gdr.080411-1536)
| NNTP Log started at 08/29/2009 05:02:13
| NNTP: 05:02:13 [db] Connecting to 'msnews.microsoft.com' on port 119.
| NNTP: 05:02:13 [rx] 200 NNTP Service 6.0.3790.1830 Version: 6.0.3790.1830 Posting Allowed
| NNTP: 05:02:13 [tx] MODE READER
| NNTP: 05:02:13 [rx] 200 NNTP Service 6.0.3790.1830 Version: 6.0.3790.1830 Posting Allowed
| NNTP: 05:02:13 [tx] POST
| NNTP: 05:02:13 [rx] 340 Continue posting - terminate with period
| NNTP: 05:02:13 [tx]
| .
| NNTP: 05:02:13 [rx] 240 Article Posted OK
| NNTP: 05:02:14 [db] Connection to 'msnews.microsoft.com' closed.

The file was located in the MSOE message store for this particular Identity,
and was named, 'Microsoft Communities.log'. The name appears to relate to
the "friendly name" of the server in your client; may be
'msnews.microsoft.com.log', if your account name is default. Try it, and
post back the result.

--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
Old August 29th 09, 01:22 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
N. Miller

On Wed, 26 Aug 2009 20:12:23 -0400, Twayne wrote:

you might try changing the ".com" to ".net" and see what happens.
Sometimes things get a little iffy with .com.

Okay, I'm game:

| Outlook Express [X]|
| |
| /!\ The server could not be found. |

Details

| Configuration:
| Account: Microsoft Communities
| Server: msnews.microsoft.net
| Protocol: NNTP
| Port: 119
| Secure(SSL): 0
| Code: 800ccc0d

Tell me, sir, please: What result do you show for 'nslookup
msnews.microsoft.net' at a command prompt. This is my result:

Using Level 3 DNS:

| C:\utils\ns_benchnslookup msnews.microsoft.net 4.2.2.1
| Server: vnsc-pri.sys.gtei.net
| Address: 4.2.2.1
|
| *** vnsc-pri.sys.gtei.net can't find msnews.microsoft.net: Non-existent domain

Using OpenDNS:

| C:\utils\ns_benchnslookup msnews.microsoft.net 208.67.222.222
| Server: resolver1.opendns.com
| Address: 208.67.222.222
|
| *** resolver1.opendns.com can't find msnews.microsoft.net: Non-existent domain

Using ATTIS DNS:

| C:\utils\ns_benchnslookup msnews.microsoft.net 68.94.156.1
| Server: dnsr1.sbcglobal.net
| Address: 68.94.156.1
|
| *** dnsr1.sbcglobal.net can't find msnews.microsoft.net: Non-existent domain

Trying a Sam Spade trace route:

| 08/29/09 05:21:22 Slow traceroute msnews.microsoft.net
| Trace msnews.microsoft.net failed, no such host

Please explain to me how I can try 'msnews.microsoft.net' when none of my
tools can even find a server there? Can you post an IP address for
'msnews.microsoft.net'?

Old August 29th 09, 01:22 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
N. Miller

Old August 29th 09, 03:34 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Mr Smith

"Twayne" wrote:
All I said was to try something - it worked for me,
worked for my sister, and has worked for several
others around here. I don't know why. But it does.

Well, I, for one, am curious to know why.

Please post the result of `nslookup msnews.microsoft.net` or whatever name
you use for the server.

To accomplish that, click Start, then Run, then enter "cmd" without quotes
in the Open field. In the new window, enter the following command:

nslookup msnews.microsoft.net

Right-click and select Mark, highlight the nslookup command line and all
output, and press Enter. That copies to the clipboard. Then paste into
your response here.

It also works better using the IPs

Not suggesting using the IP address instead of a name. But the IP address
is what is used in the actual computer-to-computer communication. So that,
not a name, tells us what you are using when you configure the server name
msnews.microsoft.net.

Old August 31st 09, 06:26 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Zuke

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

I appreciate all the likns to how to saetup a newsgroup in OE6, but I'm
pretty sure I've got it set up correctly. It seems a lot of people have
this
problem...

I've been accessing the MS newsgroups for close to 10 years exactly per
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/ou...snewreader.htm and I've never
had the problem.

Zuke wrote:
Hello,

I appreciate all the likns to how to saetup a newsgroup in OE6, but I'm
pretty sure I've got it set up correctly. It seems a lot of people have
this
problem, but there are few solutions.

Again, any suggestions for posting where I may get feedback on settings in
the LAN, specifically about AD and DNS, anhd whether these server configs
have something to do with accessing newsgroups.

Best Regards,

"Zuke" wrote:

The interesting thing is that I can telnet into msnews.micrsofot,com or
any
other new server. Byt in OE 6.0 it will not get a socket. Any ideas about
that?

Best Regards,
Zuke

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

Not really, no.

Bill Bradshaw wrote:
Is there a difference between MSnews.microsoft.com and
news.microsoft.com? I use news.microsoft.com.

PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
Setting up Outlook Express to access Microsoft newsgroups
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/ou...snewreader.htm

Old August 31st 09, 06:26 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Zuke

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

I appreciate all the likns to how to saetup a newsgroup in OE6, but I'm
pretty sure I've got it set up correctly. It seems a lot of people have
this
problem...

I've been accessing the MS newsgroups for close to 10 years exactly per
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/ou...snewreader.htm and I've never
had the problem.

Hello,

"Zuke" wrote:

The interesting thing is that I can telnet into msnews.micrsofot,com or
any
other new server. Byt in OE 6.0 it will not get a socket. Any ideas about
that?

Best Regards,
Zuke

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

Not really, no.

Old August 31st 09, 06:29 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Zuke

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

I appreciate all the likns to how to saetup a newsgroup in OE6, but I'm
pretty sure I've got it set up correctly. It seems a lot of people have
this
problem...

I've been accessing the MS newsgroups for close to 10 years exactly per
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/ou...snewreader.htm and I've never
had the problem.

Hello,

"Zuke" wrote:

The interesting thing is that I can telnet into msnews.micrsofot,com or
any
other new server. Byt in OE 6.0 it will not get a socket. Any ideas about
that?

Best Regards,
Zuke

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

Not really, no.

Old August 31st 09, 06:29 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Zuke

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

I appreciate all the likns to how to saetup a newsgroup in OE6, but I'm
pretty sure I've got it set up correctly. It seems a lot of people have
this
problem...

I've been accessing the MS newsgroups for close to 10 years exactly per
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/ou...snewreader.htm and I've never
had the problem.

Hello,

"Zuke" wrote:

The interesting thing is that I can telnet into msnews.micrsofot,com or
any
other new server. Byt in OE 6.0 it will not get a socket. Any ideas about
that?

Best Regards,
Zuke

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

Not really, no.

Old August 31st 09, 06:29 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Zuke

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

I appreciate all the likns to how to saetup a newsgroup in OE6, but I'm
pretty sure I've got it set up correctly. It seems a lot of people have
this
problem...

I've been accessing the MS newsgroups for close to 10 years exactly per
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/ou...snewreader.htm and I've never
had the problem.

Hello,

"Zuke" wrote:

The interesting thing is that I can telnet into msnews.micrsofot,com or
any
other new server. Byt in OE 6.0 it will not get a socket. Any ideas about
that?

Best Regards,
Zuke

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

Not really, no.

msnews abdiqani Outlook Express 6 March 25th 09 12:02 PM
giv me msnews.microsoft عبداللي أحمد Outlook Express 0 June 21st 08 09:51 PM
How can i add a new group outside msnews Robbies Outlook Express 2 June 20th 07 01:59 AM
Microsoft Outlook Web Access Lovebaby Outlook - General Queries 1 February 18th 07 06:11 PM
Microsoft web access account and microsoft outlook help needed Outlook - General Queries 2 January 11th 07 02:51 PM