cannot access MSnews.microsoft.com

Old August 27th 09, 03:25 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Michael Santovec

Default cannot access MSnews.microsoft.com

You've got the wrong pot, it should be 119.

And No logon or password or SSL.

For additional information, see:
To set up an account for MSnews in OE
http://www.insideoe.com/resources/co...tm#setupmsnews

--

Mike - http://TechHelp.Santovec.us

"Zuke" wrote in message
Hi,
I have not been able to access msnews.microsoft.com. I get an error: A
tcp/IP error has occurred while trying to connect to the server. I'm
using
Outlook Express 6.0.

If I set it up with secure logon I get this
Details:
Account: msnews.microsoft.com
Server: msnews.microsoft.com
User name:
Protocol: NNTP
Port: 563
Secure(SSL): 1
Code: 800ccc15

Without secure logon I get the sam except
Port: 119
Secure(SSL): 0
Code: 800ccc13

Any help at all? I have not been able to find anything using search
tools.

Best Regards,
Zuke

Old August 27th 09, 07:13 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
PA Bear [MS MVP]

Setting up Outlook Express to access Microsoft newsgroups
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/ou...snewreader.htm
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
www.banthecheck.com

Old August 27th 09, 08:30 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Bill Bradshaw

Is there a difference between MSnews.microsoft.com and news.microsoft.com?
I use news.microsoft.com.
--
Bill

Brought to you from Anchorage, Alaska.

Old August 28th 09, 01:39 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
N. Miller

On Wed, 26 Aug 2009 20:12:23 -0400, Twayne wrote:

you might try changing the ".com" to ".net" and see what happens.
Sometimes things get a little iffy with .com.

You might want to test your theories yourself before advancing them as
solutions. There is no '.net' the

| C:\utils\ns_benchtelnet msnews.microsoft.net 119
| Connecting To msnews.microsoft.net...Could not open connection to the host,
| on port 119: Connect failed

Also this:

| 08/27/09 17:35:21 dns msnews.microsoft.net
| No data of requested type
| (Host doesn't exist - try Dig for MX record)

On the other hand:

| C:\utils\ns_benchtelnet msnews.microsoft.com 119
| Connecting To msnews.microsoft.com...
|
| 200 NNTP Service 6.0.3790.1830 Version: 6.0.3790.1830 Posting Allowed
| quit
| 205 closing connection - goodbye!
|
| Connection to host lost.

I find that 'msnews.microsoft.com' is about as reliable as,
'news.eternal-september.org'.

--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
Old August 28th 09, 01:39 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
N. Miller

Old August 28th 09, 01:42 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
N. Miller

On Thu, 27 Aug 2009 11:30:41 -0800, Bill Bradshaw wrote:

Is there a difference between MSnews.microsoft.com and news.microsoft.com?
I use news.microsoft.com.

One is an 'alias' for the other:

| 08/27/09 17:40:39 dns news.microsoft.com
| Canonical name: msnews.microsoft.com
| Aliases:
| news.microsoft.com
| Addresses:
| 207.46.248.16

But I prefer to use the 'canonical' name, rather than the alias:

| 08/27/09 17:40:33 dns msnews.microsoft.com
| Canonical name: msnews.microsoft.com
| Addresses:
| 207.46.248.16

As you can see, either points to the same physical host.

Old August 28th 09, 01:42 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
N. Miller

Old August 28th 09, 02:48 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Twayne[_2_]

"N. Miller" wrote in message

On Thu, 27 Aug 2009 11:30:41 -0800, Bill Bradshaw wrote:

Is there a difference between MSnews.microsoft.com and
news.microsoft.com? I use news.microsoft.com.

One is an 'alias' for the other:

08/27/09 17:40:39 dns news.microsoft.com
Canonical name: msnews.microsoft.com
Aliases:
news.microsoft.com
Addresses:
207.46.248.16

But I prefer to use the 'canonical' name, rather than the alias:

08/27/09 17:40:33 dns msnews.microsoft.com
Canonical name: msnews.microsoft.com
Addresses:
207.46.248.16

As you can see, either points to the same physical host.

And? All I said was to try something - it worked for me, worked for my
sister, and has worked for several others around here. I don't know
why. But it does. It also works better using the IPs, but ... it's not
necessary to go that far.

If it doesn't help, nothing lost. But there is a likely gain there
based on experience in this geographic area.

msnews abdiqani Outlook Express 6 March 25th 09 01:02 PM
giv me msnews.microsoft عبداللي أحمد Outlook Express 0 June 21st 08 09:51 PM
How can i add a new group outside msnews Robbies Outlook Express 2 June 20th 07 01:59 AM
Microsoft Outlook Web Access Lovebaby Outlook - General Queries 1 February 18th 07 07:11 PM
Microsoft web access account and microsoft outlook help needed Outlook - General Queries 2 January 11th 07 03:51 PM