cannot access MSnews.microsoft.com

Old August 28th 09, 02:48 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Twayne[_2_]

Default cannot access MSnews.microsoft.com

"N. Miller" wrote in message

On Thu, 27 Aug 2009 11:30:41 -0800, Bill Bradshaw wrote:

Is there a difference between MSnews.microsoft.com and
news.microsoft.com? I use news.microsoft.com.

One is an 'alias' for the other:

08/27/09 17:40:39 dns news.microsoft.com
Canonical name: msnews.microsoft.com
Aliases:
news.microsoft.com
Addresses:
207.46.248.16

But I prefer to use the 'canonical' name, rather than the alias:

08/27/09 17:40:33 dns msnews.microsoft.com
Canonical name: msnews.microsoft.com
Addresses:
207.46.248.16

As you can see, either points to the same physical host.

And? All I said was to try something - it worked for me, worked for my
sister, and has worked for several others around here. I don't know
why. But it does. It also works better using the IPs, but ... it's not
necessary to go that far.

If it doesn't help, nothing lost. But there is a likely gain there
based on experience in this geographic area.

Old August 28th 09, 05:47 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
N. Miller

On Thu, 27 Aug 2009 21:48:47 -0400, Twayne wrote:

And? All I said was to try something - it worked for me, worked for my
sister, and has worked for several others around here. I don't know
why. But it does.

Sounds suspiciously like a superstition. Like hanging cloves of garlic
around the doors and windows to keep the vampires at bay.

BTW, the only post I saw you make was to suggest using '.net' instead of
'.com'. But my refutation of that advice is based on demonstrating that the
Microsoft NNTP servers do not have host names ending in '.net'. Should
anyone try to use '.net', their connection to the servers will fail. As I
said, "There is no "there" there!"

If it doesn't help, nothing lost. But there is a likely gain there
based on experience in this geographic area.

There will be no gain in using '.net', because it doesn't exist. And,
whether using the canonical name, the alias, or the IP address, the
connection is the same between the client and the server. The only variable
is outside the control of whether you use a host name, or IP address; your
provider's route to the server, and the return path, all of which is
controlled by BGP, and nothing else. BGP is based solely on the IP addresses
of the source and destination.

--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come

Old August 28th 09, 07:45 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
PA Bear [MS MVP]

Not really, no.

Bill Bradshaw wrote:
Is there a difference between MSnews.microsoft.com and news.microsoft.com?
I use news.microsoft.com.

PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
Setting up Outlook Express to access Microsoft newsgroups
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/ou...snewreader.htm

Old August 28th 09, 03:58 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Twayne[_2_]

"N. Miller" wrote in message

On Thu, 27 Aug 2009 21:48:47 -0400, Twayne wrote:

And? All I said was to try something - it worked for me, worked
for my sister, and has worked for several others around here. I
don't know why. But it does.

Sounds suspiciously like a superstition. Like hanging cloves of garlic
around the doors and windows to keep the vampires at bay.

BTW, the only post I saw you make was to suggest using '.net' instead
of '.com'. But my refutation of that advice is based on demonstrating
that the Microsoft NNTP servers do not have host names ending in
'.net'. Should anyone try to use '.net', their connection to the
servers will fail. As I said, "There is no "there" there!"

If it doesn't help, nothing lost. But there is a likely gain there
based on experience in this geographic area.

There will be no gain in using '.net', because it doesn't exist. And,

Spoken like a truly closed mind. Try it. I KNOW It works, I'm using
it. Only an idiot would refuse to believe such malarky. You know not
of which you speak, bunkie.

Twayne`

Old August 28th 09, 07:58 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Zuke

No; I can't access any newsgroups. I'm behind a Sonicwall NSA 3500, but I've
double-checked that NNTP is open. My ISP has checked their CISCO router,
which is set to just pass through everything. I have a softare firewall, too:
F-Secure Cleint security. That also does not block NNTP or 119. Even if I
turn it off entirely, the problem is the same.

This happens on more than one computer in the LAN, so I am wondering if it
could be something in Active Directory. I'm still on Windows2000 server,
Enterprise Edition. I don't know where to post such a query, and thinking it
is AD is a stretch.

The problem is always the windows scokets, not being able to initiate it. I
have tried resetting the TCP/IP stack on the local machine to no avail.

I'm not very familiar with how NNTP works, but the AD thought is that the
server is a DNS server and am wondering whether somehting has to be
configured on the Windows2000 server to foward or server NNTP requests.

At home with Windows Vista, it works fine.

"Ron Sommer" wrote:

The server requires login should be unchecked.
I just downloaded 3,927 posts.
Is that the only newsgroup causing problems?
--
Ron Sommer
MVP-Mail

"Zuke" wrote in message
Yes.
"this server requries me to logon" has been checked, with my windows live
account name and password, adn "remember password" is checked.

If I uncheck "this server requires me to login" I still get the same
errors.

When I try to open a spceific newsgroup, I get this error:

Header download for the 'microsoft.public.windows.server.active_directory'
folder did not complete. Account: 'msnews.microsoft.com', Server:
'msnews.microsoft.com', Protocol: NNTP, Port: 119, Secure(SSL): No, Error
Number: 0x800CCC15

Regards,
Zuke

"Ron Sommer" wrote:

Do you have anything checked on the Tools, Accounts, properties, Server
tab
page?
--
Ron Sommer
MVP-Mail

"Zuke" wrote in message
Hi,
I have not been able to access msnews.microsoft.com. I get an error: A
tcp/IP error has occurred while trying to connect to the server. I'm
using
Outlook Express 6.0.

If I set it up with secure logon I get this
Details:
Account: msnews.microsoft.com
Server: msnews.microsoft.com
User name:
Protocol: NNTP
Port: 563
Secure(SSL): 1
Code: 800ccc15

Without secure logon I get the sam except
Port: 119
Secure(SSL): 0
Code: 800ccc13

Any help at all? I have not been able to find anything using search
tools.

Best Regards,
Zuke

Old August 28th 09, 10:55 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Zuke

The interesting thing is that I can telnet into msnews.micrsofot,com or any
other new server. Byt in OE 6.0 it will not get a socket. Any ideas about
that?

Best Regards,
Zuke

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

Not really, no.

msnews abdiqani Outlook Express 6 March 25th 09 12:02 PM
giv me msnews.microsoft عبداللي أحمد Outlook Express 0 June 21st 08 09:51 PM
How can i add a new group outside msnews Robbies Outlook Express 2 June 20th 07 01:59 AM
Microsoft Outlook Web Access Lovebaby Outlook - General Queries 1 February 18th 07 06:11 PM
Microsoft web access account and microsoft outlook help needed Outlook - General Queries 2 January 11th 07 02:51 PM