Compact All Folders - automated setting far less than 100

« no 10,000 | msnews »

Old March 19th 09, 10:21 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
AnnaMarie

Default Compact All Folders - automated setting far less than 100

Hi,

Recently, and I do not have a precise date, Outlook Express 6 and its
"automatic" counter to Compact All Folders has become a problem.

I say a problem because, as I once understood, OE6 it is supposed to
automatically Compact All Folders every 100 (something like) uses, but the
"automated counter" feature has been DEMANDING compaction every 3 or 4
days - far less than 100 uses - more like, less than 20 uses.

Anyone know a fix - or how to repair this OE6 problem?

Thanks in advance for your support.

AnnaMarie )

P.S. On a related note, a MS-MVP once suggested that a manual Compact All
Folders, set to Work Offline with Local Folders highlighted, resets the
"automatic" counter. Since reading his suggestion, in my experience, this
is not true for my OE6 version 6.00.2900.2180 [xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158].
However, I have been manually compacting all folders (according to his
instructions) about once a week - again, far less than 100 uses.

Old March 19th 09, 10:38 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
PA Bear [MS MVP]

Is Windows (Desktop) Search installed and did the behavior start after you'd
installed WinXP SP3 (if SP3 is, in fact, installed on the machine in
question)?

In a given 7-day period, how often do you open & close OE? How about in a
typical 3- or 4-day period?

How many messages are in your Inbox folder? Do you make sure Sent Items and
Deleted Items folders are empty *before* compacting all folders manually?
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net

Old March 19th 09, 11:55 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Bruce Hagen

Your problem occurs to some XP/SP3 users. Your message headers suggest you
are running SP2. Please clarify.
--

Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express

Old March 20th 09, 12:40 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
AnnaMarie

Hi ya, Bruce! )

SP2 it is, and I refuse to upgrade to SP3.

AM

Old March 20th 09, 12:43 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
AnnaMarie

Hi ya, Robear! )

Is Windows (Desktop) Search installed and did the behavior start after
you'd installed WinXP SP3 (if SP3 is, in fact, installed on the machine in
question)?

No, no. I refuse to install SP3.

I am running SP2, updated thru 18 MAR 09.

In a given 7-day period, how often do you open & close OE? How about in a
typical 3- or 4-day period?

Hmmm . . . I'd say around 5X per day . . . therefore, around 35 times a
week.

How many messages are in your Inbox folder? Do you make sure Sent Items
and Deleted Items folders are empty *before* compacting all folders
manually?

ZERO. ALWAYS!!!

AnnaMarie

Old March 20th 09, 01:03 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Bruce Hagen

Hi, AnnaMarie:

The problem you describe is not unknown to SP3 users. This is the first I
have heard of an SP2 user getting the compact prompt prior to 100 closings.
Perhaps a recent SP2 update? I don't know.

1: If you compact manually, does the problem persist?

Click on Outlook Express at the top of the folder tree so no folders are
open. Then: File | Work Offline (or double click Working Online in the
Status Bar). File | Folder | Compact all folders. Don't touch anything until
the compacting is completed.

2: What are your concerns about SP3? You do realize that while OE will never
see any changes or improvements, it will be supported for security issues
until April, 2014. But, SP2 will only be supported until April, 2010.

3: Here is a reply I would give to an SP3 user with your issue. *Maybe* a
recent Windows patch made OE in SP2 see the same problems. Take a look.

canned

The problem is with the registry counter that gives you the prompt after 100
closings of OE. It is being increased quicker than it should be and even if
you are not using OE.

There is a growing number of programs and actions that may be causing this
after installing SP3. Do you have any of the following?

IBM Rapid Access keyboard (driver) RAKDLL.DLL
Windows {Desktop} Search
Window Live Mail (even if it was removed)
Mailwasher
Nero plug-in(s)

Opening EML files while OE is closed will also contribute to the registry
count.

Various anti-virus, anti-spyware and third party firewalls, especially if
they were running when you installed SP3.

Archived thread discussing this issue in June 2008:
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...d35fbfa457fd6f

In the case of Windows Desktop Search, (the #1 offender), you have to tell
it to stop indexing OE.

Windows {Desktop} Search. Set Desktop Search Options:
http://www.microsoft.com/australia/w...h/options.mspx

In Windows {Desktop} Search: Control Panel | Indexing Options. Click: Modify
and clear the check box for Outlook Express.

In the case of Nero Scout, see Item 2.3 on page 8 here.
ftp://ftp6.nero.com/user_guides/nero...oScout_Enu.pdf

In the option to exclude selected file types from indexing, be sure to add
these file types:

..eml, .dbx & .nws
--

Bruce Hagen