Compact All Folders - automated setting far less than 100

« no 10,000 | msnews »

Old March 20th 09, 04:22 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
AnnaMarie

Default Compact All Folders - automated setting far less than 100

Thanks for a 3rd pass on my posting, Bruce! That is very kind of you.

With SP2, a manual compact will reset the counter to zero regardless if
Local Folders is highlighted or not, or you are working online. Those are
recommendations to reduce the chance of corruption when compacting.

Understood.

EML files are any OE message you saved to the hard drive as a message or a
template for instance.

Okay. Prior to asking what EML files were, I searched my HDD using *.eml
and found NADDA.

In the option to exclude selected file types from indexing, be sure to
add these file types: .eml, .dbx & .nws

??? Please clarify.

No need to clarify. If you are not using Nero, it's a moot point.

Good. )

Do this test.
Go to: StartRunRegeditOK and find this key.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Identities\{GUID for Identity
\Software\Microsoft\Outlook Express\5.0. In the right hand pane and find
*Compact Check Count* and set the value to 0, (zero).

DONE!

Do this when you boot up in the AM, or whenever. Open OE and leave it open
all day. Minimize to the SysTray is fine. At the end of the day, what is
the Compact Check Count before you close OE?

Hmmm . . . this may be difficult. I always shutdown after each use, and I
typically use my PC (and power it up) 4 to 5 times a day. I have never left
it on all day and prefer not doing so now. I see where you're going - you'd
like to see if its incrementing on its own, when it should not. Of course,
if I were to keep track of the times I access OE6 and check my mail, or send
mail, I suppose this may accomplish the same thing. What is your opinon on
this alternate approach, Bruce?

AnnaMarie )

Old March 20th 09, 04:26 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Robert Aldwinckle

"AnnaMarie" wrote in message ...
Hi ya, Robear! )

Is Windows (Desktop) Search installed and did the behavior start after
you'd installed WinXP SP3 (if SP3 is, in fact, installed on the machine in
question)?

No, no. I refuse to install SP3.

I am running SP2, updated thru 18 MAR 09.

In a given 7-day period, how often do you open & close OE? How about in a
typical 3- or 4-day period?

Hmmm . . . I'd say around 5X per day . . . therefore, around 35 times a
week.

If the count is changing that much you could Run... RegMon
filtering on *compact* to see all the accesses for
that value and thus identify which program(s) are
doing it and when.

Note: I am suggesting RegMon specifically instead of
ProcMon because I think it would be easier to use for
this particular application. Both are available from TechNet.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---

How many messages are in your Inbox folder? Do you make sure Sent Items
and Deleted Items folders are empty *before* compacting all folders
manually?

ZERO. ALWAYS!!!

AnnaMarie

Old March 20th 09, 04:38 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Bruce Hagen

Your alternate approach will work if due diligence is used in keeping track.
It would be more accurate if you left the machine on and OE open though. I
don't know what your situation is, but I don't need to worry about anyone
else touching my computer, so it is on all day long and sometimes a few days
without rebooting. If electrical usage is a concern, just turn off the
monitor. The computer itself uses only a few watts.

See also Robert's post. He beat me to the punch. I was going to suggest
RegMon if the compact count increased during this test.
--

Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express

Old March 20th 09, 04:41 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
AnnaMarie

Hi Robert! )

Thanks for a GREAT recommendation - I will download the program, install it,
and hopefully discover a few interesting things to share after a few days.

AnnaMarie )

Old March 20th 09, 04:47 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
AnnaMarie

Set the RegMon Filter to Compact and it is up and running. )

Thanks again, Robert!!

AM
Old March 20th 09, 04:47 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
AnnaMarie

Old March 20th 09, 04:50 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
AnnaMarie

Your alternate approach will work if due diligence is used in keeping
track.

EXCELLENT - as an engineer, I am a due diligence FREAK!!!

It would be more accurate if you left the machine on and OE open though. I
don't know what your situation is, but I don't need to worry about anyone
else touching my computer, so it is on all day long and sometimes a few
days without rebooting. If electrical usage is a concern, just turn off
the monitor. The computer itself uses only a few watts.

Understood. And, as an EE, watts are like water to me - a necessity of
life. ;o)

See also Robert's post. He beat me to the punch. I was going to suggest
RegMon if the compact count increased during this test.

Indeed, he did. And, as I just posted . . .

Set the RegMon Filter to Compact and it is up and running. )

Thanks again, Bruce!!

AnnaMarie