Msimn Error / Msident / MSOE

Old March 4th 06, 11:47 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
[email protected]

Default Msimn Error / Msident / MSOE

Hi all,
I've been googling for a while and cannot seem to find an answer so I
hope I can get some assistance here.
My mother's PC is running Win ME (I know, get rid of it) and the other
day, she went to launch Outlook Express and got the following error
messages:
Msimn caused an error ... Msident.dll - Msimn will now close--
Followed by "Identity Logon could not be started and then MSOE.dll
could not be initialized".
I was going to reload IE6 and OE but I got error message trying to do
that. I have tried to "repair" through Control Panel/Add-Remove and
that gives me the error message "Rundll32.dll caused an error in
Kernel32.dll" and the program closes.
Any suggestions other than dumping the OS and reformatting?
Many thanks for any suggestions.
Faith

Old March 4th 06, 11:53 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
PA Bear

Start he http://www.insideoe.com/problems/errors.htm#crash

General OE Caveats:

- Don't use Inbox or Sent Items to archive messages. Move them to local
folders created for this purpose.

- Empty Deleted Items folder daily.

- Disable Background Compacting [N/A in SP2] and frequently perform a manual
compact of all OE folders while "working offline". More at
http://www.insideoe.com/files/maintain.htm.

- Do not attempt to close OE via Task Manager or shutdown your machine if
Automatic Compacting is taking place (WinXP SP2 only).

- Your anti-virus application's email scanning feature can also cause
corruption. Disable it. It provides no additional protection.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Old March 5th 06, 12:33 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE

wrote in message
ups.com
Hi all,
I've been googling for a while and cannot seem to find an answer so I
hope I can get some assistance here.
My mother's PC is running Win ME (I know, get rid of it) and the other
day, she went to launch Outlook Express and got the following error
messages:
Msimn caused an error ... Msident.dll - Msimn will now close--
Followed by "Identity Logon could not be started and then MSOE.dll
could not be initialized".
I was going to reload IE6 and OE but I got error message trying to do
that. I have tried to "repair" through Control Panel/Add-Remove and
that gives me the error message "Rundll32.dll caused an error in
Kernel32.dll" and the program closes.
Any suggestions other than dumping the OS and reformatting?
Many thanks for any suggestions.
Faith

From http://www.fjsmjs.com/OE/directdb.htm

Errors involving DIRECTDB.DLL or MSOE.DLL often indicate corruption in the
message store.
Start by moving Folders.dbx to an empty Windows folder (with OE closed).
Note: the DBX files are hidden in Win2K, WinXP and Win2K3. You will lose
your folder hierarchy and the lists of newsgroups on the news servers, but
it might get you into OE.

If that doesn't do it then move all of the DBX files to the same folder as
Folders.dbx (again with OE closed). You should now get into OE. Try
importing the messages from
the folder you moved the DBX files to. If you can't, you can use this tool
to extract the messages:

DBXtract ($5):
http://www.oehelp.com/DBXtract/

Note: It can take a long time (days with really large folders).

The messages can then be dragged from the Windows folder back into a folder
in an open instance of OE.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE
"Anyone who prefers security over freedom deserves neither."

Old March 5th 06, 12:45 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Jim Pickering

You could review this KB article, but the fix it indicates does not work
(download link to install IE/OE 5.5). However, you could try downloading a
version of IE/OE6 from this link:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/...1/default.mspx

249893 - OLEXP: Error Message: The Identity Login Could Not Be Started:

And other users have reported that you can use this method to
remove/reinstall IE/OE6 on versions of Windows (except for Windows 95):
How to Reinstall or Repair Internet Explorer and Outlook Express in Windows:

Or try the fixes outlined by Robear Dyer and Frank Saunders in their replies
to your post since they most likely will also help fix the problem. Good
luck.
--
Jim Pickering, MVP, Outlook Express
https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/pr...8-1171988A62D6

Old March 6th 06, 10:14 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Faith Risa

I have printed all replies and will try to return to my parents later
this week. I wil report back and I appreciate all the help. Thanks.

Old March 6th 06, 10:15 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Faith Risa

I have printed all replies and will try to get over to my folks later
this week. I will report back and I do appreciate the suggestions.
Thanks!