path syntax while registering msoe.dll

Old January 20th 06, 11:26 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Tom Penharston

Default path syntax while registering msoe.dll

I recently removed Office 97 from an XP Pro Client computer.
Unfortunately the removal of Office 97 can have unintended
consequences. A registry key is removed such that Outlook Express can
no longer register as the default EMAIL application

The following microsoft article provides more information
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=306098

I tried various permutations of the suggested /reg command.

Microsoft suggests:
drive:\PROGRAM FILES\OUTLOOK EXPRESS\MSOE.DLL

I first used:
"c:\program files\outlook express\msimn.exe" /reg
which had no effect on the key

then I tried quotation marks around the entire command
then I tried quotation marks around the individual folder names
then I created a batch files with the above commands with no luck

eventually I navigated to the directory and issue this command:
msimn.exe /reg

that was the only command that worked. Other than human error, is
there any reason why quotation marks didn't work? Could there be
something about the system environment that rejected quotation marks?
This question may seem absurd, but I have to ask.

Old January 21st 06, 12:16 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Tom Penharston

I shouldn't say "Microsoft suggests".

Microsoft REQUIRES the following value
drive:\PROGRAM FILES\OUTLOOK EXPRESS\MSOE.DLL
in the following registry key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\Outlook Express

It's not a suggestion. Other than that, my question still stands. Why
did I have so much trouble executing the /reg command with quotes?

Old January 21st 06, 12:22 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
PA Bear

1. http://www.oehelp.com/oedef.aspx; then...

2. http://www.oehelp.com/oelnk.aspx

If still no joy, see:

SendTo and E-mail Links Do Not Work Using Outlook Express as Default
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=306098
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE, Shell/User, Security), Aumha.org VSOP, DTS-L.org

Old January 22nd 06, 04:09 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE

"Tom Penharston" wrote in message
oups.com
I shouldn't say "Microsoft suggests".

Microsoft REQUIRES the following value
drive:\PROGRAM FILES\OUTLOOK EXPRESS\MSOE.DLL
in the following registry key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\Outlook Express

It's not a suggestion. Other than that, my question still stands.
Why did I have so much trouble executing the /reg command with quotes?

Go to Start | Run and type
regedit
and press Enter.
In the left pane navigate to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\Outlook Express
I the right pane there should be a value
DLLPath
with data of
drive:\PROGRAM FILES\OUTLOOK EXPRESS\MSOE.DLL
where drive: is the drive, usually C:
Alternatively, the data may be:
%ProgramFiles%\Outlook Express\msoe.dll

--