Lost POP3 settings after restart

Old December 12th 06, 01:08 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Grahamrf

Default Lost POP3 settings after restart

I keep losing 3 of 4 mail account settings (POP3) when shutting down and
restarting computer. I was advised to stop the anti-virus email scanner,
which I did, but to no avail. My previous question has now disappeared from
the site, but not only WHY does it happen, but WHY does it not happen to all
or none of the settings.
Help much appreciated.
Old December 12th 06, 02:11 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM

"Grahamrf" wrote in message
I keep losing 3 of 4 mail account settings (POP3) when shutting down and
restarting computer. I was advised to stop the anti-virus email scanner,
which I did, but to no avail. My previous question has now disappeared
from
the site, but not only WHY does it happen, but WHY does it not happen to
all
or none of the settings.
Help much appreciated.

It might be a security program blocking the Registry changes OE needs to
make. A few of the programs now doing this a
Ad-aware's Ad-Watch
McAfee VirusScan and/or Antispyware
Norton AV
Spyware Blaster
Spybot Tools IE Tweaks
Spybot- Teatimer
Spysweeper
Zone Alarm (free) 6.5 Reported to be fixed in later versions.

In the case of Zone Alarm 6.5 and Norton 2007 it actually has to be
uninstalled. Make sure the Windows Firewall is turned on until you
reinstall Zone Alarm.

Boot into Safe Mode with Networking with Networking and try adding the
accounts.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM
http://www.fjsmjs.com

Old December 12th 06, 03:25 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Grahamrf

Dear Frank,
Thanks for the interest. I have disabled AVG Free 7.5, ewido anti-spyware
and UnHackme, without success. The POP3 setting keeps slipping back to
127.0.0.1, which suggests to me an internal address. But again, why does it
NOT happen to 1 of the 4 settings? I have Ad-Aware installed, but as it is
not a registered copy, Ad-Watch does not function. I have a registered copy
of Registry Mechanic, but would have thought that this does not cause the
problem. I also have Windows Defender installed, but one would have thought
that it would have least been tested with OE. (? !!)
Replies eagerly awaited.

Old December 12th 06, 03:38 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Grahamrf

I have just tried booting into Safe mode + net, and all the settings are as
they should be, but now I am in normal mode, the settings have been lost
again. Just thought I´d update this question. Thanks.

Old December 12th 06, 07:55 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Michael Santovec

Your Anti-virus (or anti-spam) software changes the POP3 server name to
127.0.0.1 in order to scan the e-mail as it downloads. If this prevents
you from downloading mail, then that software is malfunctioning. Check
with that software manufacturer for update or configuration help, or
disable that software from scanning e-mail.

As long as your anti-virus software is set to scan files as they are
opened, scanning e-mail as it downloads is unnecessary and prone to
problems.

Old December 13th 06, 01:36 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM

That's being done by an anti-spam program or by email scanning in your
anti-virus. I use AVG with the email scanning plugin disabled.

Old December 13th 06, 09:03 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Grahamrf

The email scanner in AVG Free has been disabled for some days now. But the
problem persists. I can see the reasoning in the replies I have received, and
I can see now why the one account that does not change, is one to which no
emails have been sent. I do not have any problems in downloading mail, but
only can receive after I have reset the POP3 settings back to normal.

Old December 13th 06, 09:13 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Bruce Hagen

Reinstall AVG and choose Custom Mode. Uncheck E-mail Scanning when you see
that option. For some reason, just unchecking it in the security center
causes a conflict with the Windows Security Center.

Make sure you reboot when you're done.
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express

Old December 13th 06, 09:14 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Tom Willett

Do a repair-install of AVG and don't let it install the email scanner.