Can I recover lost messages from removed identity?

Old April 15th 06, 02:30 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Tim C.

Default Can I recover lost messages from removed identity?

I set up 2 separate identities this morning to separate our mail messages to
2 users in our household. Afterwards, I removed the "Main Identity" and set
one of the new ones as the default. Foolishly, I didn't realize that
removing that main identity also seemed to remove my ability to access the
messages I had received there.

Can I recover those messages from somewhere on my hard drive? I did not
choose to delete them, I just removed the identity and now don't know how to
access those saved messages.

Thank you
Old April 15th 06, 07:18 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Michael Santovec

The DBX files holding the messages should still be there. They can be
imported into the new identity.

Do a Start, Search for *.DBX files. On Win2000 you need enable the
display of Hidden or System files in the folder options and XP you need
to use the advanced options to find Hidden or System files.

Since you've had 3 identities (the original one and two new ones), you
should find three sets of DBX files in 3 different folders. In the 2
remaining identities you can do a Tools, Options, Maintenance, Store
Folder to search which folder each of them is using. By a process of
elimination you can tell which are from the original ones. These should
likely also be the largest files since they have all your messages in
them.

You can then in one of the new identities do File, Import, Messages,
Outlook Express 6. You'll need to select from a Store Folder rather
than the default from an identity since the identity that you want to
import from no longer exists.

Also see:
http://www.insideoe.com/faqs/how.htm#importOE5