Array of outlook items....HELP!!

Old June 23rd 06, 05:26 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.program_vba
WhytheQ

Default Array of outlook items....HELP!!

I'm using the following code, from Excel, with no reference to Outlook:

Dim objOutlook As Object
Dim objMailItem As Object

Dim myCreatedEmails() As Object

Sub CreateAndDisplayEmails()

Set objOutlook = CreateObject("Outlook.Application")

Erase myCreatedEmails

For i = 1 To 3

Set objMailItem = objOutlook.CreateItem(0)

With objMailItem
.To = "Tester" & i
.Subject = "Tester" & i
End With

ReDim myCreatedEmails(k)
'##### falls down on next line #####
myCreatedEmails(k) = objMailItem
k = k + 1

Next i

For k = 1 To UBound(myCreatedEmails)
myCreatedEmails(k).Display
Next k

End Sub

....I've marked where it already falls down and I assume even if this
line is fixed then it'll fall down later on on the line
"myCreatedEmails(k).Display"

The above must be pretty bl##dy close!...can anyone help?

Help appreciated
Jason

Old June 23rd 06, 06:47 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.program_vba
Michael Bauer

Am 23 Jun 2006 09:26:43 -0700 schrieb WhytheQ:

What value is k the first time? And what type is myCreatedEmails?

k must be 0 the first time. If myCreatedEmails is an object type then you
must use the Set statement.

--
Viele Gruesse / Best regards
Michael Bauer - MVP Outlook

Old June 24th 06, 09:40 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.program_vba
WhytheQ

thanks for the pointers Michael.
i'm now on a machine without outlook. Do you think the following will
work:

option base 1

Dim objOutlook As Object
Dim objMailItem As Object

Dim myCreatedEmails() As Outlook.MailItem'Object

Sub CreateAndDisplayEmails()

Set objOutlook = CreateObject("Outlook.Application")

Erase myCreatedEmails

For i = 1 To 3

Set objMailItem = objOutlook.CreateItem(0)

With objMailItem
.To = "Tester" & i
.Subject = "Tester" & i
End With

ReDim preserve myCreatedEmails(i)
myCreatedEmails(i) = objMailItem

Next i

For k = 1 To UBound(myCreatedEmails)
myCreatedEmails(k).Display
Next k

End Sub

I've changed the type from object to outlook.mailitem(not too sure if
this will work from Excel without a reference to Outllook model?)
I've added the Preserve word to stop the array being overwritten.
Also added option base 1 as I like to start at 1.

will this work now?

help appreciated.

Jason.

Old June 25th 06, 09:18 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.program_vba
Michael Bauer

Am 24 Jun 2006 01:40:28 -0700 schrieb WhytheQ:

Without a reference onto the Outlook library you canīt declare a variable as
any Outlook object. And without having Outlook installed you canīt create an
instance of it (e.g. with CreateObject)

Beside that, if the array is declared as any object you need to use the Set
statement:

Set myCreateEmails(i)=...

No error, but if you do know how many objects you want to create then Iīd
ReDim the array only once (before starting the loop). Thatīs a lot faster.

--
Viele Gruesse / Best regards
Michael Bauer - MVP Outlook

Old June 26th 06, 08:37 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.program_vba
WhytheQ

nice one Michael. With a reference to Outlook I have the following;

Option Explicit

Option Base 1

Dim objOutlook As Object
Dim myCreatedEmails() As Outlook.MailItem 'Object

Dim i As Integer
Dim k As Integer

Sub CreateAndDisplayEmails()

Set objOutlook = CreateObject("Outlook.Application")

Erase myCreatedEmails

For i = 1 To 3

ReDim Preserve myCreatedEmails(i)
Set myCreatedEmails(i) = objOutlook.CreateItem(0)

With myCreatedEmails(i)
.To = "Tester" & i
.Subject = "Tester" & i
End With

Next i

For k = 1 To UBound(myCreatedEmails)
myCreatedEmails(k).Display
Next k

End Sub

seems to work fine.
gonna try to do it without a reference now.
also gonna try to do it as a collection.

thanks again.
Jason

Old June 26th 06, 01:52 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.program_vba
WhytheQ

and using a collection and reference I've got:

Option Explicit

Dim objOutlook As Object
Dim objMailItem As Object
Dim myCreatedEmails As Collection

Dim i As Integer

Sub CreateAndDisplayCollectionEmails()

Set objOutlook = CreateObject("Outlook.Application")

Set myCreatedEmails = New Collection

For i = 1 To 3

Set objMailItem = objOutlook.CreateItem(0)

With objMailItem
.To = "Tester" & i
.Subject = "Tester" & i
End With

myCreatedEmails.Add Item:=objMailItem, key:=CStr(i)

Next i

For i = 1 To myCreatedEmails.Count
myCreatedEmails(i).Display
Next i

End Sub

Both seem to work ok. Thanks for the help
Jason