Routing Outlook Forms

Old July 26th 06, 09:08 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.program_forms,microsoft.public.outlook.general
[email protected]

Default Routing Outlook Forms

Hi all,

We want to reduce our paperwork flow, in particular HR forms that need
filling out by a user, authorising by a manager then passing to HR to
file.

We used to use routing in Excel / Word and Outlook but we now run
Outlook 2003 but are a little behind the times and still use Word 97!
(yes I know...!) There are compatibility issues and this doesn't work
well for all.

We want to use a new system. Can we use Outlook Forms for this? In
particular, would I (with no scripting experience) be able to achieve
this? I have searched about on the web and have some resources to hand
to suggest this is feasible although a Microsoft article suggest
otherwise - Quote: "Outlook does not provide any direct way of
performing workflow or routing tasks. To accomplish this, you need to
either use a third-party solution, create your own custom solution, or
use a different product or approach that is specifically designed to
create workflow solutions."

Or is there any other method (preferably not the new Adobe Professional
7.0).

Thanks,
Mat G
Birmingham, UK

Old July 26th 06, 01:23 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.program_forms,microsoft.public.outlook.general
Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook]

The information you cited is correct. Outlook has no built-in workflow, but it can be programmed. The hitch is that to make it work, you need to be able to publish forms either in the Organizational Forms library on Exchange Server or in each user's Personal Forms library. For most organizations, that's a prerequisite that can't easily be met.

Looking forward, you might want to take a look at InfoPath, which is the Office component that's really designed to do this sort of task, especially when combined in Office 2007 with the new Office 2007 Server.
--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP

Old July 26th 06, 03:32 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.program_forms,microsoft.public.outlook.general
[email protected]

Hi Sue,

Thanks for the quick reply. I did find another of your posts offering
quite good information.

I am the network and Exchange administrator so enabling 'bits' on the
Exchange Server shouldn't be an issue!

However, I have no VBScripting knowledge whatsoever. Would your book
prove a useful resource on telling me how to set up the Outlook Form
(using Outlook 2003) and the necessary things to do on the Exchange
2003 Server?

If so, I feel a purchase may be imminent!!

Thanks,
Mat G

Old July 26th 06, 10:09 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.program_forms,microsoft.public.outlook.general
Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook]

It's not a setup issue. It's a code writing project. The ability to publish message forms to the Organizational Forms library is a prerequisite because otherwise, you'll have a devil of a time getting them to run any code. My book will teach you custom form construction and Outlook automation, and it does have one routing project in it (a vacation request form) but your scenarios may be quite different.

But in the long run, Outlook form message flow is a dead end. If you're going to learn something completely new, I'd suggest you look at InfoPath. See http://msdn.microsoft.com/office/pro...th/2003/learn/
--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP