Outlook 2007: Contacts & Address Book. Unable to create Address B

Old September 9th 07, 07:06 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
John

Default Outlook 2007: Contacts & Address Book. Unable to create Address B

Trying to add a contacts folder to the address book I do the following:
1 Right-click the folder
2 Choose "properties"
3 Choose "Outlook Address Book"

I want to tick the box "Show this folder as an e-mail Address Book" but it
is greyed-out/dimmed.

Or, if I go to FilesData File ManagementAddress Books
The option "Remove" is dimmed.

It feels as though I am denied Administrative privileges but I am the
Administrator. What's going on? Incidentally, I bought a laptop and desktop
on the same day from DELL. The laptop gives me access to these dimmed-out
options. The desktop doesn't.
Old September 9th 07, 10:39 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Gordon

"John" Dell-boy wrote in message
Trying to add a contacts folder to the address book I do the following:
1 Right-click the folder
2 Choose "properties"
3 Choose "Outlook Address Book"

Why do you want to do this? The Outlook Address Book is just a view of your
Contacts Folder.

Old September 9th 07, 10:58 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Dell-boy John

Default Outlook 2007: Contacts & Address Book. Unable to create Addre

1 In the main toolbar the Search toolbar requires that there be address
books to search. I found the Search routine invaluable within Office XP as I
have a reasonably large number of contacts.
2 When creating a New e-mail Message, clicking on the "To.. " button fails
to bring up a list. In fact the "Select Names" dialog is conspicuously
vacant.

Old September 9th 07, 11:11 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Gordon

"Dell-boy John" wrote in message
news
1 In the main toolbar the Search toolbar requires that there be address
books to search. I found the Search routine invaluable within Office XP
as I
have a reasonably large number of contacts.
2 When creating a New e-mail Message, clicking on the "To.. " button
fails
to bring up a list. In fact the "Select Names" dialog is conspicuously
vacant.

Ah. a slightly different scenario.
Have a look here.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/287563

Old September 9th 07, 12:16 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Dell-boy John

I had already seen this article actually. It says (in part):

Step 2: Mark your contact folder for use with your address book
1. On the File menu, point to Folder, and then click Properties for your
folder name.
2. On the Outlook Address Book tab, click to select the Show this folder as
an e-mail address book check box, type a descriptive name, and then click OK.

As mentioned in my original post when I go to step 2 (2.) the "Show this
folder as an e-mail address book" check box is dimmed/greyed-out and
therefore unclickable. This is my problem!

Old September 9th 07, 12:27 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

We know. So you've said. Did you read the instructions Gordon posted and
follow them? If so, then state what you did and what happenened instead of
just reposting the same question.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

Old September 9th 07, 12:38 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Dell-boy John

Yes, I followed the instructions. When I get to the step 2 (2.) of the
instructions the "Show this folder as an e-mail address book" check box is
dimmed/greyed-out and therefore unclickable.

At this point in the intructions I cannot proceed because the instructions
at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/287563 assume that I CAN click on this
check box. I can't.

"Gordon" wrote:

news 1 In the main toolbar the Search toolbar requires that there be address

Old September 9th 07, 01:46 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

I know. You've said that.
You've still provided no information.
State how you did Step 1 and what happened. Step 2 cannot be done until you
do Step 1.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
[...]

"Gordon" wrote:

"Dell-boy John" wrote in
message

Old September 9th 07, 03:08 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Dell-boy John

I have inserted my comments IN CAPITALS to differentiate my comments from
the original instructions. I am not SHOUTING, my apologies in advance if
that's what it looks like:

These are the instructions AT http://support.microsoft.com/kb/287563 and
what I did.

Microsoft Office Outlook 2007
1. On the Tools menu, click Accout Settings . EASY
2. Click the Address Books tab. EASY
3. If your Outlook Address Book is listed, YES IT IS
click Close, and then go to "Step 2: Mark your contact folder for use with
your address book." SO, AT THIS POINT I GO TO STEP 2

If your Outlook Address Book is not listed, (I SKIP THIS SECTION AS PER STEP
1 (3.) ABOVE) click New.
4. Select Additional Address Books, and then click Next.
5. Select Outlook Address Book, and then click Next.
6. You receive a message that states that the address book that you added
will not start until you click Exit on the File menu. Click OK.
7. Click Finish.
8. Click Close, and then restart Outlook.

Step 2: Mark your contact folder for use with your address book

1. On the File menu, point to Folder, and then click Properties for your
folder name. EASY. I DID THIS
2. On the Outlook Address Book tab OK, I CAN SEE THIS
Click to select the Show this folder as an e-mail address book check box
I CANNOT EXECUTE THIS STEP BECAUSE THE CHECK-BOX IS DIMMED.

WHY IS THE CHECK-BOX DIMMED?

Type a descriptive name, and then click OK. I CANNOT EXECUTE THIS STEP OR
ANY FURTHER STEPS BECAUSE I CANNOT GET PAST STEP 2 (2.) ABOVE.

Old September 9th 07, 03:21 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Then your problems began earlier than this. You have a corrupt Outlook
profile, most likely from migrating data incorrectly when you installed
Outlook 2007. You will need to start over with a new profile. If you need to
migrate data from a previous installation, make sure you do so correctly:
Open your previous PST file in the new installation. Set it to be the
default. Restart Outlook and close the first PST file the new profile
created.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]