Unable to open the Address Book. The address book may not be insta

Old November 9th 06, 07:41 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
cbcrocker

Default Unable to open the Address Book. The address book may not be insta

I'm running XP Media Center 2005 and was trying to resolve an issue with my
son's "Identity". I created a new identity for him and was deleteing contacts
from the contact list one at a time when it went blank and started giving me
the above message closely followed by one that told me that OE6 wasn't
configured properly and to reinstall it. I tried various "cures" found within
the MS site (and others) with no luck. As a last ditch effort before
migrating to Outlook 2003 I upgraded to IE7 with no luck again. In fact, when
I now click on an email I get the following "There was an erroropening this
message. An error has occured." which is another of MS's useless messages.
Any ideas? At this point I'm pretty desperate.
Old November 9th 06, 02:22 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Steve Cochran

Try deleting folders.dbx (hidden)

See www.oehelp.com/OETips.aspx#7

steve

Old November 9th 06, 03:30 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
cbcrocker

Default Unable to open the Address Book. The address book may not be i

Steve,

OE opens fine (except for the address book) and emails flow into the inbox.
You just can't create a new email or reply/forward existing ones. I'll try
your suggestion though when I get home. Is it a specific folder named
folders.dbx or is it all of them?

Craig

Old November 9th 06, 08:05 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Steve Cochran

Each Identity will have a copy of the folders.dbx file. You want the one
from the identity that won't work. However, if its the address book that is
the problem you may need to rename the wab file to get OE to function again,
I think.

steve

Old November 10th 06, 03:52 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
cbcrocker

Steve - Thanks for all the help but nothing I've tried has helped either the
issue with the single identity nor the address book problem i've been having.
Sooo, it looks like I've going to migrate to Outlook 2003 after all.

Old November 11th 06, 03:39 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
cbcrocker

Well, after deciding to give it one more go I found the ie6 installer so that
I could reinstall oe6 via the instructions found within KB318378. Of course
by this time I've already loaded ie7 which I dpn't think is as bad as some
folks have been saying. But to reload oe6 I've either got to uninstall ie7
or figure out a way to run both of them together. I remember someone
somewhere in my searching having a way to do tis but I can't remember what
the instructions were. Any ideas?

Old November 11th 06, 01:46 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM

"cbcrocker" wrote in message
Well, after deciding to give it one more go I found the ie6 installer so
that
I could reinstall oe6 via the instructions found within KB318378. Of
course
by this time I've already loaded ie7 which I dpn't think is as bad as some
folks have been saying. But to reload oe6 I've either got to uninstall
ie7
or figure out a way to run both of them together. I remember someone
somewhere in my searching having a way to do tis but I can't remember what
the instructions were. Any ideas?

To uninstall IE7 go to Control Panel | Add or Remove Programs and remove
Windows Internet Explorer 7 near the bottom of the list.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM
http://www.fjsmjs.com

Old November 11th 06, 04:11 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
cbcrocker

Did that successfully (phew!). ie6setup.exe still wouldn't, says I have a
later version, run I'm assumming because of any last vestiges of IE7
remaining. I'm running CCleaner (per the HP help desk) to remove them. Then
I'll try again.