Contacts/Category Mail Merge

Old February 15th 06, 12:28 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts,microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
KathrynBassett

Default Contacts/Category Mail Merge

Graham, your website was of partial use, but not completely. There
seems to have been a change in the last few couple weeks as I could do
what I wanted before (using the helper), and now can't.
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...f6d3ef075ff4e5
will show the step by step process I've done so far. Russ, dismissing
the Helper then using the Mail Merge Toolbar as shown on Graham's site
still doesn't give me what I need. For one thing, It merges all the
records instead of just the ones I have filtered in Outlook. For
another thing, I do not find a way to access the «Full_Name» and
«Mailing_Address», being instead forced to use name components and
saying which kind of address.

Now what? I need some more steps added (and this is Office 2003).

Old February 15th 06, 12:56 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts,microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Works perfectly here.
You'll need to provide a more accurate description of the steps you are
using for anyone to be able to help.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
ups.com...

Old February 15th 06, 07:29 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts,microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor

You are not following the instructions. If you have filtered the list in
Outlook then that filtered list is transferred to Word (assuming you ticked
the right boxes in the Outlook dialog). If you go that far then instead of
accepting the data already attached to your merge document, you are adding a
new data file again from Word. This is indicated on the web page.

You must accept the data file already attached if you want the filtered
records and the additional field names.
The field names you get when merging from Outlook into Word are not the same
as those you get when merging from Word with Outlook.

Take another look at my web page illustrations
http://www.gmayor.com/mailmerge_from_outlook.htm
--

Graham Mayor - Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org

Old February 15th 06, 07:49 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts,microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
KathrynBassett

Graham, I have made a step by step, with screen captures, page so you
can see exactly what I've done, and posted it at
http://www.bassett.net/storage/merge...rgeproblem.htm
Hopefully, you can follow along there and see what my problems are
(down toward bottom, in red), and tell me which step is causing the
problems.

Hopefully,
Kathryn

Old February 15th 06, 09:12 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts,microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

We've both posted the instructions already.
Your first problem is step #8. As Graham said, since you've already selected
your data source by starting the merge from Outlook, you cannot and must not
try to select a data source again, which is exactly what you are doing in
step #8. That's where you lose your filtered data source.
As I posted, once you select your label type in the Mail Merge Helper,
dismiss it entirely. Then use the Mail Merge Toolbar to complete your merge.
There you will see the "Insert Merge Field" Button. Click it. Then select
"Database Fields." There you will see all of the Outlook Contact Fields you
will need to construct your merge, including derived fields such as "Full
Name" and "Mailing Address"
Nothing has changed in this merge process since Outlook 2003 was released.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
oups.com...

Old February 15th 06, 10:28 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts,microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
KathrynBassett

Yeah! That did it! I had dismissed the Helper as you indicated, but
then saw that part on Graham's page where it showed #8, and thought I
had to do that. It made the time it took to make that step-by-step very
much worth while. I will modify the web page so that it specifically
tells what I did wrong, so that anyone coming upon this thread can
refer to it. Graham, you are welcome to either link to the page, or
take my screen captures for use on your page, to further clarify your
page.

And Russ, thanks for looking at it even though we have to agree to
disagree about the other thread.

Old February 15th 06, 11:23 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts,microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
KathrynBassett

I've now revamped the page to be a tutorial.
http://www.bassett.net/storage/merge...rgeproblem.htm
Please let me know if I've made any typos or not been clear on a step.

Old February 15th 06, 11:44 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts,microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

You mean where you thought I made a typographical error? Seems everyone
disagrees with you on that one
Mail merges are the bane of the existence of both Word and Outlook MVP's. No
version does it well and each version is so counterintuitive and so
different in the steps required that most problems are next to impossible to
unsnarl with the limited information that can be included in newsgroup
posts.
Want the bad news? It won't get any better in upcoming versions. It seems to
me that Outlook and Word Developers do not know one another.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
ps.com...