Merge fields not available

Old February 11th 06, 04:05 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
KathrynBassett

Default Merge fields not available

I've made several screen captures so I can show step by step what I'm
doing and you can tell me where I'm going wrong. There are five of them
located he
http://www.bassett.net/storage/mergeproblem/

#1 shows that I've selected a view showing the records I want to make
labels from and the settings chosen (I've also tried all contact fields
vs the ones in selected view). It also shows that I've chosen labels. I
now click on OK.

#2 is self explanitory and I click OK.

#3 shows the Mail Merge Helper and I've clicked on Setup. I click OK.

When I first was trying this, I next clicked on Setup again and got to
the place where I chose what fields to put on the label. But a couple
weeks passed while I was trying to figure out something else, and I
*think* that there was an update since then. In any case, now when I
try, I'm instead getting #4 and then #5.

Now I'm stuck. Before, I got the place where I could choose the fields
getting that anymore, what happened? And what do I do next? I can't get
to a place where I can click on Merge in #3.

Old February 11th 06, 10:29 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

A few things.
First, provide your versions of Outlook and Word.
Second, in most versions you must dismiss the Mail Merge Helper as soon as
you select your labels type (that's all you use it for), then use the Mail
Merge Toolbar to complete your merge.
Last, In Outlook/Word 2002/2003 there is an extra step required to create
mailing labels. Instructions he
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=284401

--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
oups.com...

#1 shows that I've selected a view showing the records I want to make

Old February 12th 06, 02:45 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
KathrynBassett

Office 2003, and from what I understand, I have to use the Mail Merge
Helper to have access to all of the fields. For my test, I'm only using
full name and mailing address, but a friend will be using the nickname
field which is not available except through the Helper.

Also, I've no clue how to get Word to get the fields to even see if
that is true. I'm pretty much a newbie when it comes to Word, as my
expertise is WordPerfect, and even their, I'm not that experienced at
mailmerge.

And that link you gave evidently got cut off, as it didn't go to a KB
article, and I know the KB numbers are longer than 4 digits. Please try
again?

Do you know if anything changed regarding the Helper in the last couple
weeks? Like I said, it *was* working before.

Old February 12th 06, 04:55 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

The link works fine.
So do my instructions.
In Outlook 2003 you never use the Mail Merge Helper to construct your Merge
Fields.
Use the Mail Merge Toolbar as I suggested.

Old February 15th 06, 12:46 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
KathrynBassett

I'm now following the thread at
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...c3cb00cb81d1cf
as that is coming closer to the explanation I need. From that thread, I
see that the instructions link should be
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=284401 versus the
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid(4401 you had above - a simple enough
typo, leaving out the 28 in front of 4401 and the = sign. Just posting
that here in case someone else stumbles across this thread. Thanks

Old February 15th 06, 12:54 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

I left out no digits and made no typographical errors. The link in this
thread appears correctly in OE.
If you are having a problem, it is with your newsreader, not my post.

Old February 15th 06, 01:15 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
KathrynBassett

Exuse me? You can't admit you made a typo? You posted the link
correctly in the other thread. And to blame it on my newsreader? I
decided to test your theory and instead of using my usual Firefox, I
used Internet Explorer 6 with these results:
Using http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid(4401
I got http://www.bassett.net/storage/mergeproblem/6.jpg
Using http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=284401
I got http://www.bassett.net/storage/mergeproblem/7.jpg

Old February 15th 06, 02:47 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

I'm talking about this thread. I am looking at this thread!
It appears and works correctly.
I did not type the entry.

Old February 15th 06, 06:29 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Brian Tillman

KathrynBassett wrote:

I see that the instructions link should be
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=284401 versus the
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid(4401 you had above - a simple
enough typo,

It's correct in Russ' original post. WHatever you're using to view it is
presenting it to you incorrectly.
--
Brian Tillman

Old February 15th 06, 06:29 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Brian Tillman

KathrynBassett wrote:

Exuse me? You can't admit you made a typo?

He posted the link correctly. I can see it and it works.
--
Brian Tillman