Can't get rid of old email addresses in Outlook XP

Old February 3rd 06, 11:48 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
C.J.

Default Can't get rid of old email addresses in Outlook XP

Hi Randy, After dealing with this same question for a couple of years, I
finally decided to search the communities messages, and found your answers to
a couple of people dealing with the same question. I wasn't able to find the
NK2 file, nor to get rid of the old AutoCorrect address by deleting it when
it came up. Is there anything new from Microsoft Outlook in the last year
that addresses this problem, or any new method by which to correct an
incorrect address?

"Randy" wrote:

DLS,

You may also be interested in a program that will let you fully edit the NK2
file. You can find it at http://www.ingressor.com/ingressor_products.htm

Randy
"DLS" wrote in message
news

If you open a new mail message and then type the first letter or two of
the address or name, Outlook should offer several email addresses from
which to select. When this list appears, simply use your down and up
arrow keys to highlight the address you wish to delete. When it is
highlighted, touch delete and it will be gone forever (we hope).

Jonathan Finney Wrote:
Using Outlook XP IMO

When an email address for a contact changes or fails to work, I make
the
necessary changes in the contact record, but still end up
inadvertently
sending messages to the old address.

I discovered that this is because Outlook still 'remembers' the old
address
and autocompletes it in error when I type the contact's name in the To
field
of the message. Although it is possible to spot this and manually
change
the mistake, it requires a level of diligence and observation that
rather
negates the purpose of the autocomplete feature and is wholly
undesirable
behaviour that can cause many problems and is very frustrating.

This would explain why I get so many messages to my old email address
from
other contacts who say they've updated my contact record. It's very
likely
that they are unaware of this problem.

Is there any fix or way to purge/delete these old unwanted email
addresses
from Outlook?

Has the problem been addressed or is it being addressed in
newer/future
releases of Outlook?

--

Jonathan Finney

--
DLS

Old February 3rd 06, 08:57 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Nothing new, nor nothing new needed. These solutions work when done
correctly:
Remove individual addresses from the autocompletion cache by highlighting
the entry when presented in the suggested names list (use your arrow key to
migrate to the entry) and then hitting your Delete key before you tab out of
the field. If your autocomplete list contains only a single entry, use the
directions he
If that article is unavailable, the gist of it is to send a message using a
name or address that will add another entry to that dropdown list. Then you
will have the ability to use the arrow key to select the name you want to
remove. This step is no longer necessary in Outlook 2003 and higher.

To clear the entire cache, follow the instructions he
http://support.microsoft.com/default...;EN-US;Q287623

--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]