Email2 not updating properly with distribution lists

Old September 20th 06, 08:29 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
mmg

Default Email2 not updating properly with distribution lists

I am running Outlook 2002 SP3 on Windows XP Professional 2002 SP2.

I have many contacts with 2 email addresses. I also have distribution lists
that can include either email address. The problem I have is that if I
update Email2 for one of my contacts and then try to update the distribution
list, the DisplayAs email will change, but the actual email address won't.
Even if the Email2 email address looks correct in the contact's file, the
email address in the distribution list will not update.

I've tried:
- Deleting the contact from the distribution list, and then reinserting
them after updating the contact's file.
- Clicking the UpdateNow button in the distribution list.

The only way to get the Email2 email address to show up correctly is to
remove the contact from the distribution list, delete the contact's file,
recreate the contact's file and then reinsert them into the distribution
list. It's very annoying to have to do this, because then I also have to
re-enter ALL of their info.

Any help with this would greatly appreciated!

thanks,
Michelle
Old September 20th 06, 08:42 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

The Update Now button is only for show. It has never worked as intended. I
consider this a permanent bug that Microsoft has no intention of addressing.
Most of us abandoned DL's long ago for behavior such as this.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

Old September 20th 06, 08:53 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
mmg

If you've abandoned DL, then what do you do for large lists that you need to
send an email to? I have a list that I send an email to once a week. The
list is large, and I don't want to have to go down through all of my contacts
everytime I send the email. Are you telling me my problem is hopeless?

Old September 20th 06, 09:28 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Of course not. You just need to use one of Outlook's preferred methods for
grouping Contacts: Categories or separate Contact Subfolders:
http://www.slipstick.com/contacts/oloabcat.htm

--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

Old September 20th 06, 09:42 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Brian Tillman

mmg wrote:

If you've abandoned DL, then what do you do for large lists that you
need to send an email to? I have a list that I send an email to once
a week. The list is large, and I don't want to have to go down
through all of my contacts everytime I send the email. Are you
telling me my problem is hopeless?

Most of us use multiple Contacts folders or we assign categories to the
contacts. You can send a message to a category.
--
Brian Tillman

Old September 20th 06, 09:48 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
mmg

I followed your link, but it didn't help. My contacts are set up for married
couples. The primary Email belongs to the husband, Email2 belongs to the
wife. There are cases where only one of them will be on a particular
distribution list. I don't see how the link you posted addresses my problem.

Old September 20th 06, 10:02 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
mmg

How do you send an email to a category? I've looked and I can't figure it
out. I do have categories assigned already.

How can I use this to get around the fact that I don't always want both of a
contact's email addresses included in the distribution? (One email address
belongs to the husband, one belongs to the wife. I keep them in the same
contact file, because I use the Contacts folder to create a printable
directory for our church. It works best to have a family listed as one
contact.)

Old September 20th 06, 10:07 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
mmg

What about the fact that when I delete the email address from the DL and then
reinsert it, it still comes up with the old email address...even if the
contact's file shows the updated email address? Why does it do this?

Old September 20th 06, 10:58 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

I don't understand your question. I already told you DL's don't update. What
else did you want me to say?
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

Old September 20th 06, 11:50 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

How nice of you finally to clarify your problem.
Try doing so at the beginning next time. It would save us both some time.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]