I can't delete a contact and all I get is a "unknown error"

Old July 6th 06, 01:37 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
LHPosner

Default I can't delete a contact and all I get is a "unknown error"

I have about 3-4k of contacts and I can't delete "old" ones. I do get a
"unknown error has been returned" please restart outlook. But this doesn't
work.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

- Larry
Old July 6th 06, 03:17 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Brian Tillman

LHPosner wrote:

I have about 3-4k of contacts and I can't delete "old" ones. I do get
a "unknown error has been returned" please restart outlook. But this
doesn't work.

Will they delete if you hold down Shift while deleting? Can you empty your
Deleted Items folder, compact the data store, and then try again? If you're
using a PST, how large is it and what is your version of Outlook?
--
Brian Tillman

Old July 6th 06, 03:37 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
LHPosner

Hi Brian
The PST file is very large and I just archived it down to 100mb or so.
Outlook is version 2003 11.8010... SP2 and I use VP Professional, and
interesting enough I have the same problem on my office and I use windows
2000 server, same outlook.

I also use plaxo and that could be the common problem. and I can't use
the shift key to delete single or multiple contacts.

- Larry

Old July 6th 06, 06:16 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Brian Tillman

LHPosner wrote:

The PST file is very large and I just archived it down to 100mb or so.
Outlook is version 2003 11.8010... SP2

Outlook 2003 shouldn't have any trouble with very large PSTs unless they're
still in the old ANSI format. You can have Outlook tell you with
right-clickPropertiesAdvanced

and I use VP Professional, and
interesting enough I have the same problem on my office and I use
windows 2000 server, same outlook.

XP Professional, I suspect you meant.

I also use plaxo and that could be the common problem. and I can't
use the shift key to delete single or multiple contacts.

Plaxo is known to cause significant side-effects with Outlook. Were I
having the problem I'd disable or uninstall Plaxo. When you say "can't",
what stops you? Select the items you want to delete, hold down shift, and
press Delete.
--
Brian Tillman

Old July 6th 06, 06:53 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
LHPosner

Hi Brian

Holding down the CTR Key and trying to delete I still get the same error,
Unknown

I'll try to reinstall plaxo since that's the only common denominator between
the two computers.

Thanks again

- Larry

Old July 6th 06, 09:11 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Brian Tillman

LHPosner wrote:

Holding down the CTR Key and trying to delete I still get the same
error, Unknown

Wherever did you get the idea I said "CTR"? I said select the item(s) to
delete with the mouse, then hold the shift key and press the Delete key.
--
Brian Tillman

Old July 6th 06, 10:39 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
LHPosner

I tried everything I could think of, control key shift key, using the mouse
delete key uninstall plaxo, etc, etc.

But I must say I really appreciate your advice and have been trying allmost
everythig.

Even the "inbox repair tool".

I'm even give serious thought to exporting to a csv file and re-importing it.

Thanks

- Larry

- Larry

Old July 7th 06, 03:04 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Brian Tillman

LHPosner wrote:

I'm even give serious thought to exporting to a csv file and
re-importing it.

Did you try a new mail profile?
--
Brian Tillman