can't see contacts when clicking "to" in new mail message

Old June 11th 06, 08:22 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Kinan

Default can't see contacts when clicking "to" in new mail message

All the contacts are there in the contacts section. however they don't appear
when clicking the "to" field while writing a new message. Any help is much
appreciated.
Old June 11th 06, 10:20 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

It would be better if you posted your Outlook version.
http://support.microsoft.com/default...Product=ol2002

--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

Old June 12th 06, 10:12 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Then do what the article tells you.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
news

Old June 12th 06, 10:41 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Kinan

went thru the steps untill i got to this one:

3. On the Outlook Address Book tab, click to select Show this folder as an
e-mail address book, type a descriptive name, and then click OK.

"show this folder as an e-mail address book" is greyed out and the check box
next to it doesn't work.

btw thanks for your help & time.

"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

Then do what the article tells you.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
news

Old June 12th 06, 10:51 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

As the article tells you, you must add the Outlook Address Book Service to
your profile first.
Tools Accounts...
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Kinan" wrote in message
went thru the steps untill i got to this one:

3. On the Outlook Address Book tab, click to select Show this folder as an
e-mail address book, type a descriptive name, and then click OK.

"show this folder as an e-mail address book" is greyed out and the check
box
next to it doesn't work.

btw thanks for your help & time.

"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

Then do what the article tells you.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
news

Old June 12th 06, 11:01 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Kinan

I did that. i started at the top of the article and worked my way down to
this step. the outlook address book service was not there. it is now. i have
restarted not only outlook but the entire pc before going to the next step of
marking the contacts folder. that's the bit that didn't work. everything
above that worked just like the article said.

"Kinan" wrote in message
went thru the steps untill i got to this one:

3. On the Outlook Address Book tab, click to select Show this folder as an
e-mail address book, type a descriptive name, and then click OK.

"show this folder as an e-mail address book" is greyed out and the check
box
next to it doesn't work.

btw thanks for your help & time.

"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

Then do what the article tells you.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
news sorry about that. I'm running Office 2007 beta 2 on Vista build 5384.

Old June 12th 06, 11:42 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Can't repro your problem, even in Outlook 2007. All works fine for everyone
else.
At what point are things still not working? Can you select the Outlook
Address Book in the properties of the Contacts Folder?
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

Old June 12th 06, 11:58 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Kinan

i can get to the "outlook addres book" tab in the properties sheet of
"contacts". i can change the name there, but the check box to "show this
folder as an email address book" is dimmed and not working.

i have also tried creating contacts into vista's contacts folder directly
and through windows mail. all works fine except showing the email when i
click "to" in a new message.

i know that it's a wierd one. that's why i'm here looking for help. cheers.

Old June 12th 06, 08:39 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Kinan

for some odd reason all is working fine now. the only thing i've done since
the last post was restart the PC about a thousand times and during one of
them the contacts just popped up.

thanks for the help.

Kinan