Error message "default mail client not properly installed"

Old April 8th 06, 04:16 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
Corn

Default Error message "default mail client not properly installed"

Windows XP Pro, IBM Laptop
Uninstalled Novell Groupwise email program
Installed MS Outlook 2003, program appears to work as advertised when I
start it and I am successfully using email, calendar, tasks, etc.
However, anytime the email is invoked from clicking on someone's address
link or from a visit to a website, IE goes nuts. It opens 50-60 different
windows of IE, apparently until it runs out of memory. I then get an error
message in a box that says the default mail client is not properly installed.
Only way out is hard boot. Outlook is definitely set as default mail system
in IE Tools. I have also tried to run outlook.exe /checkclient with no
result (found this in technet)
How can I fix this problem?
Old April 8th 06, 06:36 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

Is Outlook the only Office program installed? Have you tried renaming all
mapi.xxx files to .old and run fixmapi.exe?

--
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

reading.

After furious head scratching, Corn asked:

Old April 8th 06, 06:58 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
Corn

Full MS Office 2003 suite is installed. I have not tried your suggested
about renaming.

Further info I realized wasn't in my original: I'm running stand alone with
a POP3 connection. No exchange Server has been in the mix since I installed
Outllook.

Should I proceed with your fixmapi suggestion? I've not done it before, is
it as simple as you described?

"Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]" wrote:

Is Outlook the only Office program installed? Have you tried renaming all
mapi.xxx files to .old and run fixmapi.exe?

--Â

Old April 8th 06, 07:10 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
Corn

Just searched my disk.

70+files beginning with mapi, none in office folder.

Should you be more specific for my ignorance? :=)

Old April 9th 06, 07:00 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

Whoa! I think I see your problem.

Then try a new mail profile - it usually fixes most problems - just be sure
to configure it to use your existing .pst file.

Old April 11th 06, 02:14 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
Corn

First of all, I would like to say I appreciate your help. I'm definitely
past my ability to fix this problem and its nice to have your input.

Unfortunately, the new profile didn't work. I added an account, left it
using the Personal Folders datafile that was already being used, made it the
default and re-opened OL, with the same result. I then re-booted and tried
it again, no luck.

Although I wouldn't know how to find it, is it possible that Groupwise left
something in the registry that is keeping the OL entry from being read as the
default?

Any other ideas would be appreciated.

Old April 11th 06, 02:52 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
Brian Tillman

Corn wrote:

Unfortunately, the new profile didn't work. I added an account, left
it using the Personal Folders datafile that was already being used,
made it the default and re-opened OL, with the same result. I then
re-booted and tried it again, no luck.

You do realize that adding an account and adding a mail profile are two
different operations, don't you?
--
Brian Tillman

Old May 8th 06, 08:06 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
G Jackson

I'm having the same problem. Did the proposed solutions fix this problem?
I've seen this problem posted a couple of other places but no confirmed
solution.

Thanks,
Geoff