sync Contacts list and "Address Book" list

Old June 10th 06, 03:43 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
hdhale

Default sync Contacts list and "Address Book" list

I imported several contacts from my MS Office in my work PC to MS Office in
my home PC. All the new contacts are now in my home PC; however when I use
my Address Book a large majority are not listed. How can I sync to get all
my contacts into my address book?
Old June 10th 06, 04:05 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

When correctly imported, all Contacts with electronic addresses will appear
in the Address Book view.
Time to provide at least some information: tell us your Outlook version,
how, and why you imported. Importing is never a good choice for transferring
Outlook data.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

Old June 10th 06, 06:41 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
hdhale

At work I have Outlook 2003 at home Outlook 2002. I exported and imported as
an Excel file. All files are now in my Contacts list at home but when I
start to send an email a majority of my Contacts are not in my Address Book.
I hope to do some work from home.
Doug

Old June 10th 06, 07:03 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Bad idea. You always lose data when you export and import, and even more
when you do so via a different file format. I suspect you corrupted your
email addresses, or at least rendered them irresolvable so they cannot
appear in the Outlook Address Book.
Open one of the Contacts you imported but that does not appear in the
address book. Examine the email address. See if it is resolved. If it is,
then resave this Contact and see if it then appears in your address book.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

Old June 10th 06, 07:55 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
hdhale

What is your recommended method of transfering Contact file data so the
Address Book would recognize the info? If I do export/import what file
format is best? Couldn't I delete all my contacts then update my files by
tranfering data or using a better file format?

Old June 10th 06, 08:37 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Never change file formats. Never import and export. Just create an Outlook
Data File (PST file). In your case use "Outlook 97-2002" format since you
need to be compatible with earlier versions.
Copy your Contacts into that file. Open that file in the other installation
and copy your Contacts from it.

Did you try what I asked you to? We still need to see where the problem is.
You may still be able to repair the damage.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

Old June 10th 06, 09:54 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
hdhale

What I'm discovering is during the import/export process the email data did
not import correctly. Names and phone numbers were imported but not email
addresses. Naturally when addressing an email only the contacts with email
address are available. Some contacts already had email address prior to my
latest update attempt, those address are all that are now available. The
import/export process is easy, I'm not sure how to copy and move PST files
from a PC with Outlook 2003 to any PC much less one with an older format ie
Outlook 2002.

Old June 10th 06, 10:12 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Copying and moving PST files is much easier than importing and exporting
data and leaves you much less chance for errors like the ones you made this
time. I just told you how to do it. If there is something you do not
understand, post your question.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

Old June 10th 06, 10:55 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
hdhale

You assume I have more PC savy than I do. I can create a file on the flopy
disc that I'll take from one PC to the next. However, I have not idea where
to find PST files or how to instruct those files to be save in a "Outlook
97-2002" format. Once saved on the flopy I have no idea how where to find or
put the file in the destination PC.

Old June 11th 06, 03:53 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

To create a PST file in Outlook: File New Outlook Data File.
So you have no idea how to copy files using Windows Explorer? How did you
copy your backup file?
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]