Contacts folder slow to open

Old April 27th 06, 07:56 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
VPaul

Default Contacts folder slow to open

My Contacts folder takes over 4 minutes to open. It could be a result of a
ill-advised attempt to import an Excel spreadsheet of contacts that resulted
in over 15,000 entries in Outlook Contacts (I apparently didn't map
properly). I deleted all of them (very painful task) but there appears to be
a residual effect.

My Inbox, Calendar and other folders take less than a second to open.

Are there any hidden files or temp folders or some other information that
Contacts must still look through before it opens (15,000+ of them)?

Thanks

--
VPaul
Old April 27th 06, 09:16 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

What is the size of your Contacts Folder now?
Are you using Exchange Server or a local data store?
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

Old April 27th 06, 09:20 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Brian Tillman

VPaul wrote:

Are there any hidden files or temp folders or some other information
that Contacts must still look through before it opens (15,000+ of
them)?

Not as far as I know. Did you compact the PST (if you're using one) after
deleting the incorrect entries?
--
Brian Tillman

Old April 28th 06, 03:35 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
VPaul

The size of the Contacts folder is 0kb. It says there are no items in the
folder when it eventually opens.

I am on a single user PC. The files are stored on my C: drive.
--
VPaul

Old April 28th 06, 03:48 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
VPaul

I didn't compact the PST files before, but I have now--and it still takes as
long to open. Plus, all other processes are afftected while it opens. The PC
comes to a standstill.
--
VPaul

Old April 28th 06, 04:01 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
VPaul

More updates...

After it takes 4 minutes to open the Contacts folder the first time, it
takes less than a second to open each subsequent time (switching back and
forth between Inbox, Contacts, etc.).

However, I arranged by Category and Company just to test what I saw posted
in other messages, and when I tried to arrange by Address Cards, it took
forever to complete the process.
--
VPaul

Old April 28th 06, 09:51 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Try repairing your PST file with the Inbox Repair Tool.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

Old April 28th 06, 09:13 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Then try creating a new profile.
--
Russ Valentine