Scanpst.exe can no longer be run

Old May 16th 06, 10:57 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
rmcompute

Default Scanpst.exe can no longer be run

I was getting this message when I log on to Microsoft Outlook:

Cannot start Microsoft Office Outlook. Unable to open the Outlook Window.
The set of folders could not be opened. The server is not available.
Contact your administrator if this condition persists.

I ran scanpst.exe and it fixed the problem. The problem has re-occurred and
now I cannot run scanpst.exe. I get the following error:

The file c:\...Outlook1.pst is in use by another application. Close
Microsoft Office and all other mail-enabled applications and try again.

Outlook is closed; I do not have any other mail-enabled applications. I
right clicked on the Outlook icon to get the data files and clicked settings.
I got the following error:

An unknown Error occurred. Error Code: 0x80040119. Any ideas ?

Old May 17th 06, 02:56 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
rmcompute

I re-booted the computer more than once and got the same message. It seems
that somehow the file has been damaged. I have a back-up, but I can't delete
the current file with this message.

Old May 17th 06, 06:22 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
BillR [MVP]

check that the Outlook process is terminated. Check that the PST is not
marked as read-only.

--
Bill R MVP

Old May 17th 06, 11:44 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
rmcompute

Outlook was not opened. I right clicked on the pst file and it was read
only. I clicked on Advanced and clicked the compress option. I then tried
scanpst.exe on the file and it worked but indicated that no errors were found:

Folders found in this file: 21
Items found in this file: 1014

I was able to log into Outlook. I sent a mail to myself, recieved it, and
copied it to my history folder. I then signed out. When I signed back in, I
got the same message as befo

Cannot start Microsoft Office Outlook. Unable to open the Outlook Window.
The set of folders could not be opened. The server is not available.
Contact your administrator if this condition persists.

The size of the file is 51,601 KB. Could this be causing the issue ?

Old May 20th 06, 03:13 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
BillR [MVP]

I assume you removed the read-only attribute for the PST.
Is it back to being marked as read-only? If it is then I'd say something
other than Outlook is accessing it and setting that attribute.

--
Bill R MVP

Old May 22nd 06, 11:23 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
rmcompute

The read-only attribute was not set. Do you know if there is a way to delete
the file through the operating system and then replace it with the back-up ?

Old May 23rd 06, 02:30 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
BillR [MVP]

You can certainly create a new profile via the Mail icon in Control Panel
and specify a backup PST to use with it. If you have a backup then I'd
create a new profile, open the back-up and copy items over. YOU might even
be able to open the PST you are having issues with from a new profile.

--
Bill R MVP
?