File attachment folder

Old February 6th 06, 04:59 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Patrickm

Default File attachment folder

How can you access the folder where the email file attachments are stored?
IF I open an attachment and do a "save as", it defaults to c:\documents
andSetting\username\local settings\Temp Internet File\Temp\OLKAF. If I open
Explore and drill down to that folder, there is no TEMP folder much less
OLKAF folder. Where does this exist? Is this some sort of symbolic link back
to the Exchange server?

Old February 6th 06, 05:22 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Vince Averello [MVP-Outlook]

It won't show in Explorer or My Computer. If you use a CMD.EXE session you
can navigate down to it.

Old February 6th 06, 05:35 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Patrickm

I tried that and I still can not see it. As a mater of fact, I can't see
things in there from CDM that I can see from explore.

Old February 6th 06, 05:53 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Vince Averello [MVP-Outlook]

The Temporary Internet Files folder is a special folder that doesn't display
normally in Explorer. Why are you trying to get into the structure anyway?
It's probably best left unmolested.

Old February 6th 06, 06:55 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Patrickm

Our CFO (of course) wants to be able to go look at all files in there ( When
he does the file "save as" thing, it shows tons of Excel Spreadsheets)
directly, without opening each email in Outlook. YES I tried to expalin to
him that he should save his attachments in his normal home folder, but he
doesn't grasp the concept why he can't see these files using explore. At
least now I can show him your reply and he'll accept that as advice directly
from Microsoft and satisfy his curiosity.

Old February 6th 06, 10:21 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
AJR

The "Temp Internet Files" folder is a standard sub-folder of the Windows
Temp folder e.g Windows explorerWindowsTempInternet files folder or
Document and settingsUsernameLocal settingsTemp Internet files.
Using "Save as" permits you to save file anywhere - not necessarily in My
documents. Are you certain attachment is being saved - and as what file
type? If the attachment is actually being saved Windows would create the
temp-subfolder with the Temp internet files folder - since there is not such
a folder it would indicate the attachment is not being saved.
Also "OLKAF" resembles a company's stock ticker (far fetched?) if so what
is the native file type and does it permit saving?

Old February 7th 06, 02:23 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Brian Tillman

Patrickm wrote:

Our CFO (of course) wants to be able to go look at all files in there

Your CFO should learn to use his tools correctly.

( When he does the file "save as" thing, it shows tons of Excel
Spreadsheets) directly, without opening each email in Outlook. YES I
tried to expalin to him that he should save his attachments in his
normal home folder, but he doesn't grasp the concept why he can't see
these files using explore.

He can, though. Tell him to click StartRun and enter

%temp%

into the Open field, then click OK. Windows Explorer should open. If the
folder list is not shown in the left-hand pane, have him click the Folders
button on the toolbar. Just below Temp he should see "Temporary Internet
Files" with a plus to its left. If he clicks the plus, he'll see OLKAF. He
can select that folder and see all the contents.

Also, you may have had better luck from the command line prompt if you had
used DIR /A to view everything, since some of the files in TIF are hidden.
--
Brian Tillman

Old February 7th 06, 02:24 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Brian Tillman

AJR wrote:

The "Temp Internet Files" folder is a standard sub-folder of the
Windows Temp folder e.g Windows explorerWindowsTempInternet files
folder or Document and settingsUsernameLocal settingsTemp Internet
files. Using "Save as" permits you to save file anywhere - not
necessarily in My documents. Are you certain attachment is being
saved - and as what file type? If the attachment is actually being
saved Windows would create the temp-subfolder with the Temp internet
files folder - since there is not such a folder it would indicate the
attachment is not being saved. Also "OLKAF" resembles a company's
stock ticker (far fetched?) if so what is the native file type and
does it permit saving?

Obviously you're not familiar with the Outlook Secure Temp Folder and how it
operates.
--
Brian Tillman