Corporate Upgrade to Office 2007 SP2

Old July 23rd 09, 12:03 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsupdate,microsoft.public.office.misc,microsoft.public.outlook,microsoft.public.word.application.errors,microsoft.public.excel
DeanH

Default Corporate Upgrade to Office 2007 SP2

Currently: Office 2003 SP3 applications on XP 2002 SP2
Upgrade to Office 2007 SP2 suite
We are planning a corporate upgrade from 2003 apps to 2007 suite for
100,000+ users globally.
My question is what are the known issues with this upgrade, whether they are
server issues, application issues, functionality issues, etc.
I have cross-posted this to the usual applications as well as
windows.upgrade and office.misc so I can capture all users of these
applications as well as the network people.
I am aware of the usual new 2007 user interface issues but are there any
problems we can head off at the development stage?
I have reviewed the MS website but am after other issues that MS may or may
not know about, or wish to keep quiet about ;-)
Many thanks in advance
DeanH
Old July 23rd 09, 12:16 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsupdate,microsoft.public.office.misc,microsoft.public.outlook,microsoft.public.word.application.errors,microsoft.public.excel
Doug Robbins - Word MVP[_2_]

Office 2007 SP2 created quite a number of problems - one of which was that
it corrupts document variables.

However a hotfix has been released that fixes it and a number of the other
things that were broken by SP2.

That hotfix and more information can be obtained from:

http://support.microsoft.com/default...rss&spid=11377

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Old July 23rd 09, 12:43 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsupdate,microsoft.public.office.misc,microsoft.public.outlook,microsoft.public.word.application.errors,microsoft.public.excel
Peter[_12_]

Hi Dean.

If you plan to upgrade to local languages, please observe, that some
problems are not fixed (yet) in some minor countryversions like
Danish.

Regards

Peter

Old July 23rd 09, 01:56 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsupdate,microsoft.public.office.misc,microsoft.public.outlook,microsoft.public.word.application.errors,microsoft.public.excel
Terry Farrell

Passworded documents may cause issues.

Plan for at least 1 days training for every user. Expect productivity to
fall like house prices and recover slower than the British economy.

My Advice: wait for Office 2010. Then roll out Off2010 and Win7 together.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

Old July 23rd 09, 03:25 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsupdate,microsoft.public.office.misc,microsoft.public.outlook,microsoft.public.word.application.errors
DeanH

Terry: many thanks for the response, spot on as usual.
I have been playing with Word 2007 at home and your productivity note is
well founded :-)
I have mentioned to the Development Team that we should wait for 2010 as
many issues (hopefully) will be resolved. Hence this exercise, to gather all
that can cause problems with 2007 and as the rollout will probably be next
year anyway, why not go start to 2010? Here's hoping.
All the best.
DeanH

Old July 23rd 09, 03:56 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsupdate,microsoft.public.office.misc,microsoft.public.outlook,microsoft.public.word.application.errors,microsoft.public.excel
Shane Devenshire

I'm guessing this is not a question of if you should upgrade but what are the
potential problems? As for 2010 and Win7 - of course they may be better,
most companies of this size (100000) generally wait to see how the new
product fares before committing, which would mean now will become 2013 and by
then 2014 will be in the works so...

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

Old July 23rd 09, 04:03 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsupdate,microsoft.public.office.misc,microsoft.public.outlook,microsoft.public.word.application.errors
DeanH

Shane: thanks for the comment, and yes the gogs do turn slowly. But the
"powers that be" have deemed it necessary, so we shall see. Yes the exercise
is to collate the pit-falls of 2007 and how to negate them quickly at the
start (hopefully).
What I do know is that Vista is not on the cards, hooray! ;-) and probably
we will go to 2007 just as 2010 comes out, just like when we when to 2003
when 2007 came out!
Thanks again, all the best.
DeanH

Old July 23rd 09, 05:51 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsupdate,microsoft.public.office.misc,microsoft.public.outlook,microsoft.public.word.application.errors,microsoft.public.excel
Jim Cone

Some issues on the user side...
http://www.dailydoseofexcel.com/arch...#comment-33529
--
Jim Cone
Portland, Oregon USA

"DeanH"

Old July 23rd 09, 07:02 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsupdate,microsoft.public.office.misc,microsoft.public.outlook,microsoft.public.word.application.errors
Steve Rindsberg

To add a bit,

If you rely on any tools that automate Office apps, some of them will break or
lose functionality in Office 2007. Simplest case, if an add-in is useful
because it puts a new toolbar where users can find it easily, it will no longer
do so (until it's updated by the author). It'll now appear on an Add-ins tab.

Anything that automates MSGraph charts is pretty much a goner unless you roll
out a few registry hacks. Anything that automates charts and tables from
within PowerPoint (not sure of others) will almost certainly break in 2007.