Some JPG files cannot be open after Security Update for Outlook.

Old March 18th 08, 09:49 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
[email protected]

Default Some JPG files cannot be open after Security Update for Outlook.

Just recently some of the users cannot open some JPG files. After some
testing when file was saved through Outlook the size increased by ~30
KB and Windows Picture and Fax Viewer wasn't able to open the file.
When files was saved through OWA Windows Picture and Fax Viewer could
open the file fine. Tried to disable antivirus on outlook, server and
nothing helped. Eventually uninstalling "Security Update for Microsoft
Office Outlook 2003 (KB945432)" fixed the problem. Since then if the
file is saved through Outlook it opens fine.

Anybody experiencing this problem as well? Is there a way to fix this?
I would like to avoid uninstalling this update from all the computers.

Security Update for Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 (KB945432)
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec.../ms08-015.mspx
Old March 18th 08, 10:02 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
[email protected]

To add to this, a viewer like XnView could open file with the security
patch installed but it is not a free product for companies.
Old March 18th 08, 10:23 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
[email protected]

This gets added at the beginning of the file:

limestreet.jpg
JPEG8BIM sOE -
JFIF  d d

This gets added at the end of the file:

 s. r. nN  n STR "PICT .pnot :icns F -
[3/4  - -
Old March 18th 08, 10:23 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
neo [mvp outlook]

I haven't seen this behavior from the update. Since you mention that it
only happens to some, I would ask what is different about these workstations
when comparing to workstation that work correctly with the update.

Old March 18th 08, 11:51 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
neo [mvp outlook]

The JPEG8BIM indicates that the file might have come from a Macintosh and
that the additional information you see is for Finder. The sender may have
to attach the image differently.

Old March 19th 08, 12:08 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
[email protected]

wrote in message

Just recently some of the users cannot open some JPG files. After some
testing when file was saved through Outlook the size increased by ~30
KB and Windows Picture and Fax Viewer wasn't able to open the file.
When files was saved through OWA Windows Picture and Fax Viewer could
open the file fine. Tried to disable antivirus on outlook, server and
nothing helped. Eventually uninstalling "Security Update for Microsoft
Office Outlook 2003 (KB945432)" fixed the problem. Since then if the
file is saved through Outlook it opens fine.

Anybody experiencing this problem as well? Is there a way to fix this?
I would like to avoid uninstalling this update from all the computers.

Security Update for Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 (KB945432)
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec.../ms08-015.mspx
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...d=fccc7c4c-849...

The files are created by Adobe Photoshop CS3 Macintosh or originally
saved on a Mac.

The picture does not open on all computer that have the update
installed. It only happens to some JPG files. The ones that cannot be
opened, open fine as soon as the update is uninstalled. I literally
close outlook, go to Add/Remove programs, find KB945432, uninstall,
open outlook, find the email, save or open the attachment and it works
fine.
Then I close outlook, install the update, open outlook, find the same
message with the same attachments, save or open the file and it does
not work.

All computers are Outlook 2003, running on Exchange 2000/2003, Windows
XP SP2 all other windows and office updates are installed. Some
computers run Symantec Antivirus, other TrendMicro.

Files open fine if the picture is saved/opened through OWA.

Please let me know if you need more information. I would really like
to get this resolved.

I sent a message from a computer that has the update installed to a
computer that has the update installed - file does not open.

Uninstalled the update and resend the email to a computer that has the
update installed - does not work; uninstall the update on recipient
computer - file opens fine.

Sent a message from a computer that has the update installed to a
computer that does not have the update installed - file opens fine;
install the update on a recipient computer - file does not open.
Old March 19th 08, 10:42 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
[email protected]

Anybody experiencing this?
Old March 20th 08, 03:50 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Rhino Smitty

Default Some JPG files cannot be open after Security Update for Outloo

We are having the same issue. Anyone????

Anybody experiencing this?

Old March 20th 08, 06:22 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
dave

Same thing here, appears to have started after last weeks updates.

Opening the images after saving from Outlook Web Access, they are fine.
Opening the images off a shared drive, they are fine. Opening them
after saving from Outlook - corrupt.

MS needs to get on this quick.

Rhino Smitty wrote:
We are having the same issue. Anyone????

Anybody experiencing this?

Old March 20th 08, 06:34 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
dave

I have gone through all of these steps as well - same thing... CS2
though in my case. Microsoft needs to get on the ball with this one as
it's crippling my users.