Some JPG files cannot be open after Security Update for Outlook.

Old April 10th 08, 03:19 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
dave pender

Default Some JPG files cannot be open after Security Update forOutlook

We had neo, an Outlook MVP on the thread up until the 29th of March. The
Tuesday updates came out a couple of days ago - nothing on the Outlook front
which means it's still a problem.

dave

On 4/9/08 2:05 AM, in article
, "PatrikH"
wrote:

"Relocation Information Service, Inc." wrote:

On Mar 21, 11:00 am, dave wrote:
Neo,

Thanks for the reply, here is what has been done (in addition to
previously mentioned steps) in terms of testing on my side.

Sender: Mac OSX 10.4.11 (all updates applied
Adobe Photoshop CS2 (all updates applied)
Microsoft Office 2004 (Mac) (all updates applied)

File is "saved for web" from PS and then attached to a new message in
Entourage with the attachment button in the tool bar. The account in
Entourage is set up as an Exchange account.

Mail server is Exchange 2003 SP2 with all updates applied. Receiver is
on Windows XP SP2 and Office 2003 SP3 with all updates appled as of last
Tuesday's releases.

To recap some possibly important information... logging into OWA and
saving the file to the receivers computer yields a perfectly functional
file. Saving from the attachment in Outlook yields a corrupt file.

Removing patch associated with KB945432 yields a perfect file from the
***same message as corrupt save above***. Re-install of patch KB945432,
re-corrupts the save from Outlook.

I hope this helps, please let me know what else I can do to assist, this
is making quick communication between my creative department and the
rest of the agency more difficult.

Thanks,

daveneo [mvp outlook] wrote:
Guys, I can't report the issue if I am unable to duplicate. For the last
two days I have been sending JPG attachments from a Mac OSX (Leopard) with
Photoshop CS3 to Windows XP SP2/Outlook 2003 SP3 w/out issue. The backend
mail server being Exchange 2003 SP2.

Can you give any additional details like...

* The sender is using what operating system
* The sender is using what mail client
* The sender's mail account is pop3, imap, exchange, .etc
* The sender attaches the JPG how? (for example, do they drag/drop it onto
new message. They use the programs mail attachment button and add it to
the
message, .etc)

"dave" wrote in message
I have gone through all of these steps as well - same thing... CS2 though
in my case. Microsoft needs to get on the ball with this one as it's
crippling my users.

wrote:
On Mar 18, 6:23 pm, "neo [mvp outlook]"
wrote:
I haven't seen this behavior from the update. Since you mention that it
only happens to some, I would ask what is different about these
workstations
when comparing to workstation that work correctly with the update.

wrote in message

..

Just recently some of the users cannot open some JPG files. After some
testing when file was saved through Outlook the size increased by ~30
KB and Windows Picture and Fax Viewer wasn't able to open the file.
When files was saved through OWA Windows Picture and Fax Viewer could
open the file fine. Tried to disable antivirus on outlook, server and
nothing helped. Eventually uninstalling "Security Update for Microsoft
Office Outlook 2003 (KB945432)" fixed the problem. Since then if the
file is saved through Outlook it opens fine.
Anybody experiencing this problem as well? Is there a way to fix this?
I would like to avoid uninstalling this update from all the computers.
Security Update for Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 (KB945432)
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec.../ms08-015.mspx

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=fccc7c4c-849..
..
The files are created by Adobe Photoshop CS3 Macintosh or originally
saved on a Mac.

The picture does not open on all computer that have the update
installed. It only happens to some JPG files. The ones that cannot be
opened, open fine as soon as the update is uninstalled. I literally
close outlook, go to Add/Remove programs, find KB945432, uninstall,
open outlook, find the email, save or open the attachment and it works
fine.
Then I close outlook, install the update, open outlook, find the same
message with the same attachments, save or open the file and it does
not work.

All computers are Outlook 2003, running on Exchange 2000/2003, Windows
XP SP2 all other windows and office updates are installed. Some
computers run Symantec Antivirus, other TrendMicro.

Files open fine if the picture is saved/opened through OWA.

Please let me know if you need more information. I would really like
to get this resolved.

I sent a message from a computer that has the update installed to a
computer that has the update installed - file does not open.

Uninstalled the update and resend the email to a computer that has the
update installed - does not work; uninstall the update on recipient
computer - file opens fine.

Sent a message from a computer that has the update installed to a
computer that does not have the update installed - file opens fine;
install the update on a recipient computer - file does not open.

Just wanted to chime in and say that Dave has described this issue
expertly. I am having the same issue and I have verified that it is
limited to attachements from Entourage users when received by Outlook
users with the update installed. Removing the update solves the issue.

Anyone know if MS i working on a fix ? I called swedish support and they
didn't even know that the problem existed. Opening a case ment that _IF_ they
also came to the conclusion that it was a hotfix error we wouldn't be charged
for the case.

Old April 10th 08, 03:45 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
neo [mvp outlook]

The person I know doesn't want to run/use Entourage, so I have lost my
helper. I will however be bringing this up next week when the MVPs converge
at Microsoft's campus in Seattle. Just need to ask why Entourage sends jpg
is being encapsulated inside a Finder file type header.

IMHO, the only thing I can say in defense of Microsoft is that they have
been securing their file type converters or blocking access outright to them
by default to stop some of the insanity of buffer overruns, .etc. This to
be would be a good change since OS/App could be tricked into doing something
it shouldn't when receiving wrapped inside of a Finder file type.

Old April 10th 08, 04:28 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
dave pender

Neo,

Thanks for the update, I can understand the securing of the OS - we all know
it needs it... But I would hope that someone at MS can see that not allowing
jpg's (or any attachment for that matter) from a Mac to a PC would cause
some headaches. I tested a few other file types and didn't have any issues,
a couple of word docs, tiffs, a spreadsheet or two... All of them came
through just fine.

If I can help in troubleshooting (other than all the info I put in this
thread earlier), please feel free to contact me.

dave

Old April 10th 08, 11:54 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
neo [mvp outlook]

One more question since I'm sure I'll be asked, is your site using PowerPC
or Intel based Mac hardware?

Sender: Mac OSX 10.4.11 (all updates applied

wrote in message

.

[...]

Mac are PowerPC and Intel.

So it looks like a bug in outlook 2003. Hope this post made it easier
for other people to find a solution. By the way this does not seem to
happen on outlook 2007. It is probably best solution to get a 3rd
party picture viewer, just nothing that uses windows dlls to view
images (photoshop album... ). I am not running any WUS servers to
stop the update from installing itself. I am afraid in the meantime
this is going on the list of things not working right with macs and
windows.
Old April 11th 08, 07:36 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
[email protected]

On Mar 24, 10:57 am, "Brian Tillman" wrote:
wrote:
Exactly the same situation here. To make things harder the update
installs itself automatically after removal. If you would I think I
could forward an image to you.

It won't if you don't let it. Change your automatic update settings so that
updates don't install automatically.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

Don't think so. Stop automatic updates and apply all other updates
manually while this gets fixed? Will it? Just this week critical
security patches. Any other advice?
Old April 11th 08, 01:22 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
dave pender

We have both intels and ppc's here. I have tested from both and the issue
on the PC with Outlook 2003 remains.

Our current work-around is to have the PC user open the attachment from OWA
to view it - this works perfectly but, as you can imagine, is a PITA.

dave

On 4/10/08 6:54 PM, in article , "neo
[mvp outlook]" wrote:

One more question since I'm sure I'll be asked, is your site using PowerPC
or Intel based Mac hardware?

"dave pender" wrote in message
Neo,

Thanks for the update, I can understand the securing of the OS - we all
know
it needs it... But I would hope that someone at MS can see that not
allowing
jpg's (or any attachment for that matter) from a Mac to a PC would cause
some headaches. I tested a few other file types and didn't have any
issues,
a couple of word docs, tiffs, a spreadsheet or two... All of them came
through just fine.

If I can help in troubleshooting (other than all the info I put in this
thread earlier), please feel free to contact me.

dave

On 4/10/08 10:45 AM, in article
,

Old April 12th 08, 11:57 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
[email protected]

I don't know if I could tell users to use Outlook and view pictures
through OWA. Somebody would get really really upset. I would recommend
installing XnView or InfraView. Both have their own picture processing
and you can get away with licensing (not free for business but no
nags). It is hard to convince to purchase the software when
"everything was working fine before". ACDSee is also good but that's
commercial.

Old April 14th 08, 04:50 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Brian Tillman

wrote:

would recommend installing XnView or InfraView.

That would be IrfanView (
http://www.irfanview.com/).
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]
Old April 14th 08, 05:13 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Pete Wilson

"neo [mvp outlook]" wrote:

Guys, I can't report the issue if I am unable to duplicate. For the last
two days I have been sending JPG attachments from a Mac OSX (Leopard) with
Photoshop CS3 to Windows XP SP2/Outlook 2003 SP3 w/out issue. The backend
mail server being Exchange 2003 SP2.

Can you give any additional details like...

* The sender is using what operating system
* The sender is using what mail client
* The sender's mail account is pop3, imap, exchange, .etc
* The sender attaches the JPG how? (for example, do they drag/drop it onto a
new message. They use the programs mail attachment button and add it to the
message, .etc)

Seeing same issue with jpg sent via Blackberry to Outlook 2003. Fwd same
message to Outlook 2007, problem does not occur.

The problem appears to be the receiver, not the sender.