Exporting contacts in a csv file

Old November 19th 07, 08:33 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
cinnamngrl

Default Exporting contacts in a csv file

I am a mysterious problem exporting my contacts as csv file. The
resulting file has only 58 contacts out of almost 1200 contacts in my
outlook. These contacts appear to be the last 58 contacts added. (I
say appear because the attribute "createdon" is not exported so I
can't be exact. Why is this?
Old November 20th 07, 12:45 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Brian Tillman

cinnamngrl wrote:

I am a mysterious problem exporting my contacts as csv file. The
resulting file has only 58 contacts out of almost 1200 contacts in my
outlook. These contacts appear to be the last 58 contacts added. (I
say appear because the attribute "createdon" is not exported so I
can't be exact. Why is this?

What version of Outlook? How are you trying to export (exact steps)? Are
the 1200 contacts all in a single Contacts folder? Are you storing your
contacts in a PST or on an Exchange server?
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

Old November 21st 07, 02:35 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
cinnamngrl

On Nov 20, 7:45 am, "Brian Tillman" wrote:
wrote:
I am a mysterious problem exporting my contacts as csv file. The
resulting file has only 58 contacts out of almost 1200 contacts in my
outlook. These contacts appear to be the last 58 contacts added. (I
say appear because the attribute "createdon" is not exported so I
can't be exact. Why is this?

What version of Outlook? How are you trying to export (exact steps)? Are
the 1200 contacts all in a single Contacts folder? Are you storing your
contacts in a PST or on an Exchange server?
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

1. outlook 2000

2. import/export menu
a. export to a file
b. Comma Separated Values (Windows)
c. Select Contacts folder
d. save exported file as C:\Documents and Settings\xxx.xxx\My
Documents
\ contacts nov 20 2007.csv
e. map custom fields choose default map
f. export

3. pst

I tried it again today and found that it exported 59 contacts which
was the same 58 as yesterday and one that I added today.

Old November 21st 07, 07:44 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Brian Tillman

cinnamngrl wrote:

I tried it again today and found that it exported 59 contacts which
was the same 58 as yesterday and one that I added today.

But you don't say if those 1,200 contacts are all in the same Contacts
folder. If you open the CSV file in Excel, how many entries do you see?
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

Old November 21st 07, 10:20 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
cinnamngrl

On Nov 21, 2:44 pm, "Brian Tillman" wrote:
wrote:
I tried it again today and found that it exported 59 contacts which
was the same 58 as yesterday and one that I added today.

But you don't say if those 1,200 contacts are all in the same Contacts
folder. If you open the CSV file in Excel, how many entries do you see?
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

they are all in the same contacts folder.
When I open it in excel i see 59 contacts.
Old November 23rd 07, 07:18 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Brian Tillman

cinnamngrl wrote:

they are all in the same contacts folder.
When I open it in excel i see 59 contacts.

Do all 1,200 contacts have properlyu formatted File As fields? Is there
ANYTHING about the ones that don't import that looks different from the 59
that do? If you open one that doesn't export, how does the entry look
compared to one that does? Are all the fields defined?
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

Old November 23rd 07, 09:51 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
cinnamngrl

On Nov 23, 12:18 pm, "Brian Tillman" wrote:
cinnamngrl wrote:
they are all in the same contacts folder.
When I open it in excel i see 59 contacts.

Do all 1,200 contacts have properlyu formatted File As fields? Is there
ANYTHING about the ones that don't import that looks different from the 59
that do? If you open one that doesn't export, how does the entry look
compared to one that does? Are all the fields defined?
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

The clearest difference that I can see is that these are last 59
contacts that I have added to my outlook.
Old November 24th 07, 05:12 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Brian Tillman

cinnamngrl wrote:

The clearest difference that I can see is that these are last 59
contacts that I have added to my outlook.

Try changing one of the earlier contcts in some way, perhaps by doing no
more than changing one character in the contacts name to itself (i.e., erase
a character and then type it again). Save that contact and see if it
appears in an export.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]