"The Messaging interface has returned an unknown error." occurs when trying to view a shared calendar

Old August 28th 07, 07:25 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Jon[_2_]

Default "The Messaging interface has returned an unknown error." occurs when trying to view a shared calendar

I have Outlook 2007 which was upgraded from 2003. My Outlook 2007 runs
on a Citrix Terminal Server on Windows 2003 Enterprise Service Pack 1.
I access the Terminal Server from a Wyse thin client. My Outlook 2007
uses MAPI to communicate with Exchange 2003 Enterprise Edition. I have
no other account types configured.

During the course of the day Outlook decides to flake out and render
the error "The Messaging interface has returned an unknown error."
This occurs when trying to view any of the 14 other person's calendars
I have been granted access too. I am trying to access these calendars
from the "People's Calendars" pane.

Closing and re-opening Outlook seems to resolve access for an
undetermined amount of time. I'm not fully able to reproduce the error
at will but I have noticed it most frequently when going on 15 minute
break or 1 hour lunch.

I'm not using cached mode or PST's of any kind. My mailbox is not
terribly bloated - about 457 MB's per Exchange System Manager.

I have reviewed Event Viewer on both the Terminal Server and Exchange
Server and can find no evidence of why I get blocked.

I have tried some of the Outlook command line switches and eventually
just created a new Outlook profile. None of these eliminate the
problem.

Does anyone know of a solution to this?
Remove dots before at to reply direct - Jon

Old September 12th 07, 03:48 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
AE

Default "The Messaging interface has returned an unknown error." occur

We tried recreating the profile, but the error returned within a few days.
Has anyone had any luck with any other solutions?

Old November 26th 07, 07:48 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
[email protected]

Hi,

Ive seen this error too. Some users report that it is caused by loss
of connectivity between the Outlook 2007 Client & The Exchange
server.

See this thread:
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...82b6ad4f64b236

There was a hot fix deployed but one user stated it didnt fix the
problem. I have my own suspicion of power management features in
laptops causing this issue. I personally havent seen the issue on my
desktop installation. But other test users have.

Hopefully this helps.

-IL
Old December 12th 07, 02:16 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
BigDocD

Default "The Messaging interface has returned an unknown error." occurs wh

I ran into the same problem with regards to email. All other references I've
found say the problem is because of the file size of the .pst or .ost files.
But my file sizes seemed OK - none were near the (previously in my former
Outlook2K) 2MB size. And I understood before upgrading that file sizes can
now go to 20gig or something like that. The only way I've been able to get
around it for now is I've moved and saved all my previous .pst files (I don't
have any .ost files), then allowed Outlook2007 to recreate one to at least
capture my incoming emails (I had to force through a bunch of errors/close
old archive files that would no longer open, etc.). OF COURSE ALL MY
PREVIOUS SETTINGS ETC. ARE NOW GONE. But at least I'm operating for the time
being hoping that someone can come up with a proper solution. I've also
advised my VirusScanner supplier asking for any help they might be able to
give, if anything they've done could be causing, etc. No reply yet.

Old February 21st 08, 05:20 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
JT

The shared calendar information is stored locally in an XML file.

This file become corrupt and is the reason for the issue. SP1 was suppose
to fix this issue however i do not believe it did. Restarting outlook is
supposedly a temp fix to clear the problem however not a real fix.

You could also wipe out your calendar navigation pane information clearing
the xml file by going to the shortcut in the taskbar for outlook and changing
the /recycle to /resetnavpane

Start outlook and it will clear your entries and allow you to re add shared
mailboxes. VERY ANNOYING MS

Do not forget to change the /resetnavpane back to /recycle or you will clear
your shared calendars over and over.

We currently exist in a mixed exchange server 03 / 07 environment. I am not
sure if this contributes to the problem or if it is simply on the client side
with the poor handling of the XML file.

I am attempting to remove 07 office suite and see if i can remove office SP1
so that i can do a reinstall.

Office sp1 currently does not allow it to be removed or reapplied and is the
reason for the office uninstall / reinstall trouble shooting.

Old March 8th 08, 12:50 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Cis[_2_]

There is now a hotfix available for this problem. Please check
http://www.itexperience.net/2008/03/...-outlook-2007/
for more information and the link to the hotfix!