"Messaging interface has returned an unknown error"

Old March 15th 07, 11:01 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Bob Gladstein

Default "Messaging interface has returned an unknown error"

I'm running Outlook 02 on Win XP Pro SP2.

I think this may have been caused by the DST time zone update utility, but
I'm not certain. Here's the situation.

If I try to open a calendar item I get the following error:
"Can't open this item. The messaging interface has returned an unknown
error. If the problem persists, restart Outlook."

If I try to create a new message or appointment from the quick start
toolbar, or clicking a mailto: link on a web page:
"The operation failed."

If I click the "to" "cc" or "bcc" button while writing an email message:
"The messaging interface has returned an unkown error. If the problem
persists, restart Outlook."

Restarting Outlook hasn't helped, nor has running detect and repair.

I opened Outlook in safe mode, and was able to open calendar items. Clicking
a mailto: link on a web page brought up an error about not being able to open
Word as my email editor, but then a standard message window opened, and I was
able to bring up contacts by clicking the to and cc buttons. So everything
seems to be ok in safe mode.

I don't know for sure that it was the time zone update that caused this, but
the errors started coming up around the time I ran it. But there doesn't seem
to be a way to undo that.

Any suggestions? Should I uninstall Outlook and reinstall it?