addresses not found in contact folder

Old March 3rd 07, 06:05 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
John Keith

Default addresses not found in contact folder

I recently went through the process of reinstalling OL98 and
reconnecting to my outlook.pst file and now I find that when I compose
a new email message the name I type into the to: field that email
address is not found in the contact folder. What steps do I need to
take to remedy this problem?

Thanks.

John Keith

Old March 3rd 07, 06:21 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Depends on your version. Outlook 98 had 2 completely unrelated version.
Which are you using and how did you configure your Address Book?
If you don't know, look at line 2 of Help | About and read what it says
there.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

Old March 3rd 07, 06:36 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
John Keith

On Sat, 3 Mar 2007 13:21:10 -0500, "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]"
wrote:

Depends on your version. Outlook 98 had 2 completely unrelated version.
Which are you using and how did you configure your Address Book?
If you don't know, look at line 2 of Help | About and read what it says
there.

It is internet mail only.

Everything worked fine before I did teh reinstall and I'm using the
same outlook.pst file as before (except I had to re-enter all the
calendar entries.)

One other thing to note. I have a personal folder (email.pst) that I
load also, and now this folder is found above my Outlook Today folder
whereas before it was below my Outlook Today and all the subfolders.
John Keith

Old March 3rd 07, 07:26 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

That complicates things. IMO didn't even use the Outlook Address Book, nor
can you repair it in that version. Hopefully, you won't have to. You appear
to have done some other things incorrectly that you need to fix. There is no
way you should have 2 PST files in your profile. Why do you? How did you
migrate your old data to this new installation? In which of these files do
you see your data?
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

Old March 3rd 07, 10:10 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
John Keith

On Sat, 3 Mar 2007 14:26:19 -0500, "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]"
wrote:

That complicates things. IMO didn't even use the Outlook Address Book, nor
can you repair it in that version. Hopefully, you won't have to. You appear
to have done some other things incorrectly that you need to fix. There is no
way you should have 2 PST files in your profile. Why do you? How did you
migrate your old data to this new installation? In which of these files do
you see your data?

I have been using OL98 and WinXP on this machine since I purchased it
in May of 2003 without any major problems (until my calendar folder
froze whenever I tried to access it last week.)

My "Outlook Today" has all the standard folders and this is where I
keep most of my data. My contact folder has all the email addresses of
the individuals I communicate with and previously I had no trouble
when composing a new email message and typing a name in the To: field
would yeild an underlined name when I left that field, indicating
their email address had been found from the contact folder. That no
longer works and if I click on the "To:" label the window that opens
has no names in it, where previously it would have an alphebetical
list of all the names in my contact folder.

In addition to the "Outlook Today" folder I have a "Personal Folders"
which is loaded from the other pst file and it basically has email
folders and I use this to save email messages that I don't want to
keep in my inbox in the Outlook Today folder. Within this personal
folders is another contact folder that contains only contacts from my
previous employer.

As I aluded to above I have been using this configuration for several
years without problem, although I think in one of my previous posts I
now see the "Outlook Today" folder below the "Personal Folders" and
this was reviously reversed.

I appreciate your expertise in this area and if I need to learn some
tricks about proper usage of OL please guide me on!

John Keith

Old March 3rd 07, 10:35 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Could you perhaps clue me in on what you did that caused this problem. I see
nothing in your last post. In your first post you alluded to having
reinstalled Outlook 98, a fairly drastic move if you ask me. There must be
more to this story.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

Old March 4th 07, 12:15 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Brian Tillman

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] wrote:

Could you perhaps clue me in on what you did that caused this
problem. I see nothing in your last post. In your first post you
alluded to having reinstalled Outlook 98, a fairly drastic move if
you ask me. There must be more to this story.

Russ, I think it's a matter of an incorrectly configured Outlook Address
Book, considering the OP says he keeps his contacts in the Contact folder.
Perhaps this will help: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/180830/en-us
--
Brian Tillman

Old March 4th 07, 02:37 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

No. Not relevant. He's using IMO. You cannot configure the Outlook Address
Book in IMO because IMO doesn't use it. So nothing in that article applies.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

Old March 4th 07, 05:31 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
John Keith

On Sat, 3 Mar 2007 17:35:39 -0500, "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]"
wrote:

Could you perhaps clue me in on what you did that caused this problem. I see
nothing in your last post. In your first post you alluded to having
reinstalled Outlook 98, a fairly drastic move if you ask me. There must be
more to this story.

My problem first started when Outlook would freeze whenever I clicked
on the calendar and then tried to select an item within the calendar.
I used scanpst.exe to check my outlook.pst file but it only found
minor issues which I went ahead and repaired but it made no
difference. It was at this point that I tried to re-install OL98
thinking that some executeable within OL might have been corrupted. I
had posted an inquiry in this group earlier about this problem (OL98
hangs 3/1/2007) and the most useful resource I found regarding this
initial problem was the following url:

http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-1810640.php

However I still found that when trying to drag and drop calendar items
OL98 would freeze on every item. So I resorted to manually
re-enetering every item in my calendar. Then when I needed to send an
email message I found that the address lookup capbility that I had
used for years was no longer functioning (that is, I would type in the
name of someone contained in my contact folder and after exiting from
the to: field the name would be underlined indicating that a valid
address for that name had been found in the contact folder.)

Now, here is the other piece of data that is probably critical to this
issue. Since I rarely have had to monkey around with OL98 over the
many years I've used it, after I re-installed OL98 I was not
experienced enough to just "Open" my pst file, rather I imported it.
I've thought that maybe I need to redo that particular process by
closing all my pst files and then using open again, but I find that I
cannot close my main pst as I get an error message saying I cannot
close the folder that contains my calendar, contacts and POP maibox.

Again I appreciate everyone's interest in my problem and I hope
someone can give me the magic key to restore this functionality.

At least this experience gave me the opportunity to clean up my
calendar and contact folder :-)

John Keith

Old March 4th 07, 05:40 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Your best bet at this point is to try to get everything into your one
default PST file. When you look at the properties of your 2 PST files, only
one should contain the designation to "Deliver POP mail" to that folder.
Hopefully that will be the case. If so, that is your default PST file. Move
everything into that file, then close the other. Make sure you move the
_contents_ of each folder, not the folders themselves.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]