addresses not found in contact folder

Old March 4th 07, 08:30 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
John Keith

Default addresses not found in contact folder

On Sun, 4 Mar 2007 12:40:31 -0500, "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]"
wrote:

Your best bet at this point is to try to get everything into your one
default PST file.

Done.

When you look at the properties of your 2 PST files, only
one should contain the designation to "Deliver POP mail" to that folder.
Hopefully that will be the case. If so, that is your default PST file. Move
everything into that file, then close the other.

The properties for the "Personal Folders" folder did not have the
"Deliver POP Mial" box checked.

The folder that was called "Outlook Today" folder did have a check in
that box but the whole line was grayed out. Also, when the other
"Personal Folders" item was closed this folder was renamed from
"Outlook Today" to "Personal Folders". And I still can't close this
folder because it contains "calendar, contacts and POP mailbox."

I'm guessing that my big error was "importing" the "default" pst when
I should have "opened" it. And the issue now is how to make OL98 think
this folder is my "default" folder.
John Keith

Old March 5th 07, 12:30 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

You've lost me. Can you close either folder?
If not, then you did indeed corrupt your profile by importing an PST. IMO
provides no way to create a new profile other than with a reg hack. I can
tell you how if you're game.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

Old March 5th 07, 03:26 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
John Keith

On Sun, 4 Mar 2007 19:30:12 -0500, "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]"
wrote:

You've lost me. Can you close either folder?
If not, then you did indeed corrupt your profile by importing an PST. IMO
provides no way to create a new profile other than with a reg hack. I can
tell you how if you're game.

As I thought I had noted in my last post I was able to close the one
folder but not the one that contained my calendar, contacts and POP
mailbox. I also have been able to get the top level of this folder to
read "Outlook Today" but the line in the properties window for makign
this folder the "deliver POP mail" is still grayed out (although even
in gray mode it has a checkmark in the box.)

Tell me what is involved with the hack and I'll consider doing it if
it isn't to involved.

I've also thought about again removing OL98 and reinstalling and then
pulling all the data back into the new installation from the existing
pst file.

John Keith

Old March 5th 07, 10:21 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Removing and reinstalling Outlook won't help a bit. You'll still be left
with the same Outlook profile.
To create a new "profile" in IMO, quit Outlook, export then delete this key:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows Messaging
Subsystem\Profiles\Microsoft Outlook Internet Settings

Restart Outlook. It will create a new profile automatically. It will have a
brand new PST file as its default. You can then open your other data file,
copy what you need from it, then close it.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

Old March 5th 07, 07:58 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
John Keith

On Mon, 5 Mar 2007 05:21:14 -0500, "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]"
wrote:

Removing and reinstalling Outlook won't help a bit. You'll still be left
with the same Outlook profile.
To create a new "profile" in IMO, quit Outlook, export then delete this key:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows Messaging
Subsystem\Profiles\Microsoft Outlook Internet Settings

Well that sounded simple enough except I didn't have that exact path.
I did have:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current
Version\Windows Messaging Subsystem\Profiles

and in the right pane:
Name: Default Profile
Data: Microsoft Outlook Internet Settings

Is this the same entry to delete?

John Keith

Old March 5th 07, 08:53 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Yes. You never specified your OS, so I had to guess what your path might be.
I'm afraid your Outlook version and OS are from different decades. That's
never good.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

Data: Microsoft Outlook Internet Settings

Old March 5th 07, 09:24 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
John Keith

On Mon, 5 Mar 2007 15:53:23 -0500, "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]"
wrote:

Yes. You never specified your OS, so I had to guess what your path might be.
I'm afraid your Outlook version and OS are from different decades. That's
never good.

I'm sorry. But the OS actually is WinXP (and always was), so I have no
idea how that path got started. And I'd love to upgrade many of my PC
components but I've been very under-employed for several years and I
haven't found a way to get one of those free OL upgrades I see some
people mention in these groups :-(

Having said that I've been happy with OL98 and it has done everything
I've needed from it.

BTW, this discussion has gotten way more detailed for most of this
group and if you want to take it off line feel free to use my email
address (but then you may still prefer the newsgroup).

Thanks for the detail.
John Keith

Old March 6th 07, 04:48 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
John Keith

wrote:

Removing and reinstalling Outlook won't help a bit. You'll still be left
with the same Outlook profile.
To create a new "profile" in IMO, quit Outlook, export then delete this key:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows Messaging
Subsystem\Profiles\Microsoft Outlook Internet Settings

Restart Outlook. It will create a new profile automatically. It will have a
brand new PST file as its default. You can then open your other data file,
copy what you need from it, then close it.

I was able to start a new "profile", at least it appeared to be new
since all the folders were completely empty. But when trying to bring
in the previous data no info is added to any of the folders. Importing
the saved registry gets me back to the previous condition so nothing
is lost.

But another item concerns me. With Outlook open, I can change the name
of the outlook.pst file that has all my data in it, and that tells me
that this is not the file being used by Outlook (the file should be
locked when OL is open.) I've searched the C: drive and only 2
outlook.pst files are found, the one in \Windows that was created when
I trweaked the registry and my larger one with the data in it located
in My Documents.

Is there any hope for getting over this hurdle?

If I did need to find a more recent version of OL that might be more
capable of resolving my problem what version would I need?

John Keith

Old March 6th 07, 10:06 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

How are you trying to bring in your previous data? I trust you're not trying
to import again.
Never just rename a PST file.
Just open the old PST file and copy what you want into the new one after you
create a new profile.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
news

Old March 6th 07, 12:52 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Brian Tillman

John Keith wrote:

I was able to start a new "profile", at least it appeared to be new
since all the folders were completely empty. But when trying to bring
in the previous data no info is added to any of the folders. Importing
the saved registry gets me back to the previous condition so nothing
is lost.

Why would you import the registry key again? That's the broken profile.
You wanted a new profile, not the old one. As for your old data, use
FileOpenPersonal Folder File to make it available and either 1) copy the
data to the new folders or 2) make the old PST the delivery location.
Select the root of the folders, click FileProperties and set the delivery
location to the added PST. Stop and restart Outlook, then close the empty
PST with right-clickClose.
--
Brian Tillman