Outlook-2007 IMAP Hangs

Old February 9th 07, 05:22 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Wigster

Default Outlook-2007 IMAP Hangs

Hi,

I am wondering if anyone has managed to come up with a solution to Outlook
2007's behaviour with IMAP. I am running it on a laptop, which I put to
sleep a few times a day.

It seems that when you either start the application or just awake your
laptop after a longer time when Outlook has not been checking an IMAP
account, it takes it anywhere from 2 to 10 minutes to actually download the
IMAP email. This is usually much worse when there are a lot of spam
messages (by a lot I mean ~10, not really *that* much) to filter out into
the Junk folder.

You can either wait for the above period of time, during which the
application is basically hung up, or you can kill it and restart (although
you need to do this manually, not through the "restart outlook" requester)
at which point it will load up, have the IMAP email available, but not
filtered with the rules.

Any ideas?

Iggy
Old February 10th 07, 08:53 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Test Man

I have a similar problem with Outlook in regards to the fact that if you
click on an IMAP e-mail, the app is basically hung while it downloads the
message, or sending e-mail, or any operation involving e-mails on an IMAP
server. If you have a bad internet connection, you can't do anything in the
meantime because it takes a while to download the message. This is
completely different behaviour from Outlook Express, which doesn't hang the
app when you perform operations on the e-mail on an IMAP server.

I'd be interested in an acknowledgement of this problem from someone who is
intimately knowledgeable with Outlook 2007 and whether this is something the
Office team would be considering fixing in the future.

. 102...

Old February 10th 07, 05:28 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Patrick Schmid [MVP]

I'd be interested in an acknowledgement of this problem from someone
who is
intimately knowledgeable with Outlook 2007 and whether this is something the
Office team would be considering fixing in the future.

You won't get it, sorry. The Outlook team at Microsoft does not
participate in these newsgroups.
If they'll fix it, you'll know after you installed the fix.

Sorry,

Patrick Schmid [OneNote MVP]
--------------
http://pschmid.net
***
Office 2007 RTM Issues: http://pschmid.net/blog/2006/11/13/80
***
Customize Office 2007: http://pschmid.net/office2007/customize
RibbonCustomizer Add-In: http://pschmid.net/office2007/ribboncustomizer
OneNote 2007: http://pschmid.net/office2007/onenote
***
Subscribe to my Office 2007 blog: http://pschmid.net/blog/feed

Old February 26th 07, 05:05 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
[email protected]

"Wigster" wrote in message
[...]

In other words, dear Outlook users (legit and non-legit), stop using
outlook and switch to some other client that does just about
everything Outlook does. By the time you have done that, Microsoft
will notice that their Outlook is no longer used and they will get to
fixing the damn issue. Outlook has been freezing with IMAP since the
2002 release. I'd say it's a pretty fair chance that ONE Microsoft
representative read this complaint at least 100 times.

So, mr. Patrick Schmid, go suck up some fairytale juice, 'cuz your bs
is too old.

Old March 14th 07, 01:43 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
John Urness

Test Man wrote:
I have a similar problem with Outlook in regards to the fact that if you
click on an IMAP e-mail, the app is basically hung while it downloads the
message, or sending e-mail, or any operation involving e-mails on an IMAP
server. If you have a bad internet connection, you can't do anything in the
meantime because it takes a while to download the message. This is
completely different behaviour from Outlook Express, which doesn't hang the
app when you perform operations on the e-mail on an IMAP server.

I have done some network analysis on what happens during an Outlook 2007
IMAP session and basically, it is checking all folders even when
configured not to.

This is even if the case if you have reconfigured it to only check the
Inbox (which for most people is the only place that mail arrives). It
seems as though their IMAP implementation in Outlook 2007 is essentially
broken. So while it appears to be hanging, it is checking all folders
for new mail instead of just the Inbox.

Additionally, while it is hanging, it does not appear to allow
multi-threaded interaction with Outlook. I would care a whole lot less
that it was hanging if I could check my calendar or open up a new
e-mail, but you have to wait.

I am not sure what they were thinking....

Anyways, in my testing with ethereal, at least in my example I would see
maybe 1000 packets every time I did a send-recieve even though there
might be no new mail.

With Thunderbird, there might be a lot of packets on initial start up,
but after that, checking mail would result in 5 or 6 packets passing
across the network. Just enough to for the app to see that there was no
new mail.

Thunderbird is lightning fast, but the calendaring leaves a lot to be
desired...

Bummer, too bad I need Outlook Free/Busy...

John