Distrubution of emails to different computers on the same line

Old January 18th 06, 03:03 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
James

Default Distrubution of emails to different computers on the same line

Myself and my partner have two computers on the same (Wanadoo)
broadband line, each of which is assigned its own email address.

We want to set up Outlook so that it delivers my email (the james@
ones) to my computer, and my parter's emails to hers. It appears to me
that if we were using Outlook Express, that would be no problem,
courtesy of the rule which enables those emails not destined for one
machine to be left on the server (Wanadoo's server that is) to picked
up by the other.

There is no such rule in Outlook however (unless I'm missing something)
and our incoming emails often get indiscrimately dumped into whichever
machine is running (someimes both in fact).

Of vourse I realise that we can arrange for wrongly received emails to
be forwarded to the other machine, but my partner gets as many emails
as she does clothes and I don't think I could cope with that.

Can anyone explain in simple terms what I - and doubtless thousands of
others like me - can do aside from networking the two machines to each
other, which I don't really want to do.

If the problem is otherwise insoluble, is there any third party
software available which adresses this issue?

Old January 18th 06, 03:24 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]

In oups.com,
James typed:
Myself and my partner have two computers on the same (Wanadoo)
broadband line, each of which is assigned its own email address.

If these aren't separate POP accounts, but are aliases/forwards, see if you
can change that. If you each have your own separate mail account, this won't
be an issue at all....

Old January 18th 06, 03:32 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Brian Tillman

James wrote:

We want to set up Outlook so that it delivers my email (the james@
ones) to my computer, and my parter's emails to hers. It appears to me
that if we were using Outlook Express, that would be no problem,
courtesy of the rule which enables those emails not destined for one
machine to be left on the server (Wanadoo's server that is) to picked
up by the other.

So, you're actually saying that you DON'T have two distinct e-mail
addresses, each with its own mailbox on Wanadoo; that the two addresses are
actually aliases of one another delivered to the same mailbox on the ISP.

There is no such rule in Outlook however (unless I'm missing
something) and our incoming emails often get indiscrimately dumped
into whichever machine is running (someimes both in fact).

You're not missing anything. Outlook treats all mail in the same mailbox as
being targets for download.

Of vourse I realise that we can arrange for wrongly received emails to
be forwarded to the other machine, but my partner gets as many emails
as she does clothes and I don't think I could cope with that.

You could each enable leaving copies of the messages on the server (which
will take some housekeeping periodically to delete the messages from the
server) and then use rules to delete the messages intended for the other
address, keeping only your own.
--
Brian Tillman

Old January 18th 06, 04:17 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
James

Distrubution of emails to different computers on the same line

Thanks for your comments. If you cut and paste the web address shown at
the end of this, it will take you straight to Wanadoo's answer to this,
from which you will see that it is quite feasible, and it is, because
we've already done it - but in Outlook Express, not Outlook. What I
want to know is; can it be be done in Outlook, and if so, how.

http://help.wanadoo.co.uk/resultDisp...e=5002#Goto176

Old January 18th 06, 04:22 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
James

Distrubution of emails to different computers on the same line

Sorry, forgot this bit: I can't find any rule in Outlook which enables
leaving copies of incoming messages on the server.

Old January 18th 06, 08:38 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Brian Tillman

James wrote:

Thanks for your comments. If you cut and paste the web address shown
at the end of this, it will take you straight to Wanadoo's answer to
this, from which you will see that it is quite feasible, and it is,
because we've already done it - but in Outlook Express, not Outlook.
What I want to know is; can it be be done in Outlook, and if so, how.

Ans we've already told you that you can't, because they're not using
separate mailboxes; that both addresses are really the same one, since mail
sent to either gets put in the same mailbox in the POP server. Outlook
doesn't have the same rule set Outlook Express does.
--
Brian Tillman

Old January 18th 06, 08:41 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Brian Tillman

James wrote:

Sorry, forgot this bit: I can't find any rule in Outlook which enables
leaving copies of incoming messages on the server.

There isn't a rule for that. Just like in Outlook Express, it's a property
of the account. You don't state your Outlook version, so, for Outlook
2002/2003, click ToolsE-mail AccountNext. Select your account and click
Change, then More Settings. Select the Advanced tab. It's there. You'll
find it in a similar place in Outlook Express, too.
--
Brian Tillman