Can I import Outlook Express contacts into autocomplete?

Old October 6th 06, 06:49 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
JaW

Default Can I import Outlook Express contacts into autocomplete?

Just converted from Outlook Express 6.0 to Outlook 2003. I miss the
autocomplete feature from OE, where I could begin typing any of the 1500+
names in my address book into the "to" box and it would automatically fill in
the balance of the name with the e-mail address.

I don't want to have to send e-mails to all 1500+ people to get them into
autocomplete, so am looking for suggestions. Using Windows Explorer, I
found a file called Outlook.pst, but could not find anything with a *.pab
extension.

I do have contacts listed that come up when I click the address book icon in
Outlook, but am not sure where they are within Windows Explorer.

Any help is much appreciated.
Old October 6th 06, 07:10 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

OE does not use a separate autocompletion cache, so there is no file to
import. Just import your Contacts from OE. You can populate Outlook's
autocompletion cache all at once if you really need to by simply resolving a
message to all of your Contacts. (Be careful you don't actually send a
message to all of your Contacts).
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

Old October 6th 06, 07:43 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
JaW

I do not know what "resolving a message" means, or how to do it. How do I do
this without sending an e-mail to any of the contacts that I "resolve"?

I read the Knowledge Base article on Outlook Address Books and Contact
lists, and thought I understood it until I couldn't find a "pab" file in
Windows Explorer. Any ideas on where to find it, or for that matter, is it
really important that I do?

JaW_______________________________________________

Old October 6th 06, 07:45 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
JaW

I can do this but do not know what "resolving" is or how to do it. Also, how
do I avoid actually send the message to any of my contacts?

Where is my *pab? Does it matter that I don't know where it is?

Old October 6th 06, 09:31 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

Since the .pab is obsolete, no, it doesn't matter.

--
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

reading.

After furious head scratching, JaW asked:

Old October 6th 06, 10:12 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

No one has used a PAB for years, and OE never did. Not sure why you remain
fixated on it.
You resolve names by using Outlook's Automatic Name checking button on the
Toolbar or Ctrl-K. Sending also resolve the names, but I would assume you do
not want to send a message to every one of your Contacts. To make sure that
doesn't happen, set Outlook to work offline before you start messing with
this.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

Old October 6th 06, 10:49 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
JaW

Thank you Russ, my concern on the PAB came from reading a Knowledge Base
article but based on your comments, consider me "UN-fixated".

I will try yourprocedure as outlined below offline. And I'm assuming that
before I go back online, I should delete the message from the Outbox, right?

Thanks for all the help.

Old October 6th 06, 10:51 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
JaW

Thank you for your reply. I learned about PAB from Knowledge Base articles,
but based on your response, consider me "un-fixated".

I'll try your fix offline. I should delete the unsent message from my Outbox
before I return on line, correct?

Thanks for all the help.

JaW